Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hemlock
Jan 17, 2006
Waffle.
This question is probably a little off topic but hopefully someone will be able to help me.

I’m currently an Art Foundation student (UK) looking to do a degree in graphics starting next year. This summer I bought Adobe Creative Suite Design Premium hoping to have a bit of a play with the programmes but, due to a hard-drive death on my PC, I have not yet had a chance to install it. The PC is still operating with one hard drive but having suffered several years of a very temperamental machine I am now looking to upgrade and have decided to get a laptop. I understand that the industry choice for graphics are Macs but aside from my comfort with a PC, I’ve already forked out the money for the programmes as a PC format so I’ll be getting a PC laptop- at least for the next few years.

My problem is I’m not really up on the technical side of computers. Obviously I want a machine that will be able to handle me working with big files etc. and wont be slow, but I’m not sure how that translates into specific specs. Given that there seem to be a fair few designer goons I was wondering if anyone could make some recommendations, at least for type of graphics card I should be getting. I don't mind spending a fair bit of dosh as long as I'm getting something that will operate efficiently. Any help would be much appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU