Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Georg LeBoui
Feb 10, 2006
Wearing a Monocle Since 1987
I was wondering if I could get some career advice.

Tomorrow I've got an interview for a freelance designer position and I'm kind of on the fence whether I should take it or not. Since it's would be my first freelance-based job I've got questions.

1. They mention it's a "full-time" position, which to me sounds weird considering I always thought "freelancer" is kind of a part time, sub contractor kind of thing. What does the "full-time" bit mean?

2. What is the general attitude towards this sort of work? Would I be going about business as usual, or would they put extreme (and perhaps unnecessary) pressure on me? Would I be sitting for days waiting for them to send me work? How likely is it that a freelancer would ever be offered a permanent position?

3. Are there any specific questions I should ask them during the interview?

Right now I'm on the fence about this. On one hand it sounds awfully temporary and I do have bills to pay, but on the other hand I think it would really help make my CV and portfolio look nicer and I've really been bored with my current job.

It would be great if you guys posted your experiences as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Georg LeBoui
Feb 10, 2006
Wearing a Monocle Since 1987
As far as education is concerned, you don't really need a BFA to get work. In this industry your portfolio and experience (if you wish to get into an agency especially) is king, not necessarily education.

However, if you actually really want to get into this and get far in a relatively quick amount of time, getting a proper degree is fantastic because it would immerse you into the world of design and really encourage you to expand your knowledge. But! That's only if you actually apply yourself to it, make sure you get internships, network with people, etc. It's a big commitment.

If you don't have the ability to do a degree, then there is an alternative: just do design work as you seem to have been doing, and also explore as much of design as possible - do personal projects, try new things, be ambitious, etc. Eventually the more you do it, the more you get noticed and the more work you'd be doing. It's a slower way to go about it, but it would probably be less pressure.