Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CherryBomb
Feb 20, 2006

I'm in school for animation, and have an idea for a DVD-based reel/resume combo. The menu would have sections for a demo reel, short films, artwork, and on-screen resume.

I haven't felt ready enough to send things to studios until recently, so I don't have much experience with the application process. I know it's more common to send reels through DVD anyway now, but is combining everything too much? Should I include a paper resume just in case? Have people been doing this sort of thing already?

I don't know what sending a reel/portfolio/resume hybrid would come off as, but I would hope it'd be something like "organized and simple", not "dumb and pretentious".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CherryBomb
Feb 20, 2006

I graduated from SVA in May and became jaded about my animation degree almost instantly. While I gained a lot of technical/artistic knowledge, I have little to no desire to be an actual animator. You either have to be very, very talented to make a name for yourself, and/or be willing to do a lot of work for nothing. I am neither. Also, working from job to job without knowing what the near future holds just isn't the kind of thing I want to do. Part of me wishes I had gone for illustration instead, but that might just be a grass-is-greener type mentality. Plus I'd be in the same boat.

I ended up working with the administrative side of my school a lot and took more of a liking to being an office jockey. My resume is full of teaching/administrative work, but I'm worried that there might be some kind of BFA stigma when applying for non-creative jobs.

All that being said, I definitely don't want to abandon my creative ambitions. I'd hate for it to turn into a bored housewife hobby type thing. Part of me feels like I am abandoning my ~hopes and dreams~, but stability is also important to me. Has anyone had something similar happen to them? How did you keep pursuing art without it being the main focus of your career?

CherryBomb
Feb 20, 2006

ceebee posted:

This is the thing. Usually if you're doing art you should be willing to eat sleep and breathe art. I'm in the opposite position as you, and I used to work office/desk/customer related job constantly while only being able to have art as a hobby. These days I'm ready to really settle down and get my portfolio going good enough to where I can land an entertainment industry job. From there work my rear end off because unlike office jobs you actually have something to show for you work, besides some bonus or a pat on the back from your boss.

But honestly, if you don't want to work to make a name for yourself, or do a lot of work to prove you're a good animator then you probably don't deserve to be in the field. You really do have to love art and dedicate yourself to it.

I guess you should look into going back to school because you probably won't be able to land that many teaching/admin jobs without at least a BFA.

I have my BFA. I said I graduated in my first sentence. I also said I don't really see myself in the animation field, so the "you don't deserve it" comment was unnecessary. And I did do my best. I lived in front of a Cintiq for ten months making my thesis film. A lot of my peers blew my film out of the water with their own, but I'm fine with that because I knew I gave it my best shot. I'm very grateful for the experiences/skills I gained at school, which is why I don't regret getting into the program. It's just when graduation time came around I thought, "Well, that was cool, what's next?"

I guess the solution to my problem is to just keep drawing, keep doing art, keep hanging out with my incredibly talented friends, etc. That way, I won't feel like art is a thing of the past, or that I'm not "allowed" to do it because the financial factors of my life might be art free. I guess I just don't want to admit that I'm inevitably downgrading it to a hobby, but nothing's ever set in stone.