Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hello_mannequin
Mar 17, 2006

Mansurus posted:

I would love to attend school for photography. Right now i'm in a community college, just coasting through for my two year degree.

Growing up in Savannah, Georgia, i've always had a fondness for Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD). I've grown up around it, i love the city, and i've heard many awesome things about the school and how it's one of the best in the nation. One thing that worries me is their "foundation studies" requirement. I have little desire or talent in regards to any art other than photography. How big of a deal is this, and should it make me dismiss the notion of seriously considering the school? Also, how good is the school objectively? How does it stand against others in the nation? Should i hold it up to some pedestal and ignore other options?

Also, a complication has recently come about. I'm interested in this girl, who lives in Pennsylvania. I'm considering moving there to pursue a relationship, but i would only do so if i found a school that would help me and teach me what i want to know. Are there many good schools for photography in Pennsylvania? Where? Are they as good as SCAD? Would it be wise to give up the dream of SCAD for a school there? Do schools really matter, and would i suffer any if i did not go for something near the best? I would consider giving her up for my education.

Any online resources about photography schools in the United States would also be a big help to me.

If it matters: I'm interested mainly in documentary photography and fine-art photography. Although, i may also consider photojournalism.

Thanks.

I apologize in advance for not responding to all of your questions, but I will answer what I can. I've applied to art schools/ universities with great art programs for Fall 2008 and one of the schools on my list is Carnegie Mellon University. It has an internationally renowned College of Fine Arts and is located in Pittsburgh. I suggest you check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hello_mannequin
Mar 17, 2006

I've applied to some art schools and universities with good art programs for Fall 2008 as a first-year undergraduate. I'd like to know anything people have to say about the following schools (specifically their art programs). Rumors are okay, but first-hand experience is better.

Art Center College of Design
Carnegie Mellon University
Rhode Island School of Design & Brown University BA/BFA 5 year dual-degree program
UCLA College of Arts and Architecture
Bard College
California College of the Arts (CCA)
Pratt Institute
Parsons The New School for Design & Eugene Lang College The New School for Liberal Arts BA/BFA 5 year dual-degree program

Thank you to anyone who spends time helping me. I'm just so lost. :/

hello_mannequin
Mar 17, 2006

Authentic You posted:

^I can talk about Carnegie Mellon and Pratt. I go to CMU and almost went to Pratt.

I really don't have any complaints about being at CMU. I'm in the design school, not art, but they both are in the College of Fine Arts, along with architecture, music, and theater. I don't know too much about the art program specifically, but I hear good things, and I've wondered around the art studios before, and everything up there is pretty awesome. Also, the school in general plays a huge role in the whole mindset behind all the CFA programs. Out of all the schools I applied to and visited, CMU was the most grounded in the real world, and applying itself to the real world, being practical and using your skills and your thinking skills to make something of yourself, instead of just learning the skills period.

Another excellent feature is that it is an entire university, and not just an art school. So you have the opportunity to take classes in any field you want, business, engineering, computer science, other science, and all those programs are top of the line in their fields. This is one of the main reasons I chose CMU over Pratt, even though Pratt gave me a huge scholarship. Also, while Pratt is highly recognized in the arts fields, as is CMU, CMU is recognized in all sorts of fields, so it looks pretty awesome on a resume. Other strong points include excellent and efficient administration that makes your life (and your parents') really easy. Also, it's a big open pretty campus and in a really vibrant and safe area of Pittsburgh, and right next door to University of Pittsburgh, which is massive, so there are tons and tons of college kids, and plenty of fun restaurants and such.

About Pratt, since it's just an art school, it's way smaller, around 3,000 students instead of like 9,000. It's very distinctly an art school, so if you just want to be with other artists and not have to worry about other academia, it would be great. While CMU trades some of its creative and expressive angle for technical skills and practicality, Pratt doesn't so much. Again, just speaking for design and architecture, so CMU's art program could be as artsy and expressive as Pratt's for all I know. I'm just going from the differing tones of the schools and the programs that I do know.

When touring, my parents and I walked around the studios and asked students about the school and the programs, and the general consensus was that everyone loved the program, projects, and teachers, but that the administration loving sucked, was terribly disorganized, full of people who didn't know what they were doing, etc etc, rising tuition that just seemed to be squandered, and a good amount of bitterness towards it from a few students. I also found Brooklyn pretty bleak. The campus was a bit claustrophobic, even though it's the only art school in the city with an actual campus with lawns and trees. It's a gated campus, and the gates are locked at night because it's in a dangerous area. It was a bit off-putting for me.

Well that's about it. I could answer any more specific questions about CMU if you're interested. Also, if you come visit the campus, drop me a PM.

Oh my god. Thank you so much for all the information. I do consider my education in humanities and social sciences to be (probably) more important than my art education, so I am leaning towards universities as opposed to strictly art schools. I'm a little irked by CMU at the moment because they've lost my transcripts 3 times now and my school report form once, but I doubt that's representative of their administration. I'm still awaiting my acceptance (or non-acceptance) letter from CMU, but I'll definitely contact you if I get in, because I will be visiting. I really appreciate the offer. :]