Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
Come September I will be at SCAD (Savannah College of Art and Design) for my freshman undergraduate year. At the moment I'm confused on what major I should choose. I applied and got accepted to the school for there Broadcast Design and Motion Graphics program, but lately I haven't been able to find any student feedback or information on it. I decided that it was the program I wanted to major in after I talked extensively with a SCAD representative at a college fair around December of 2006.

Lately I've been looking into it and realized I would enjoy majoring in Visual Effects just as much as Broadcast Design and Motion Graphics. I was wondering if one major has a better job market, career opportunity, pay rate, ect. than the other post bachelors degree. I was hoping I could get some sort of insight on what a degree in Broadcast Design and Motion graphics could do for me compared to a Visual Effects degree.

Seeing as there seems to be a decent goon population at SCAD, any information on the school that could make my freshman year a bit easier is more than appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

ElecHeadMatt posted:

Amazingly helpful information.

That helped a bunch and I most likely will be changing my major to Visual Effects. It seems to be a much more in depth program in the fields I'm interested in. What I was wondering is if it is important to have a basis in 3D modeling before entering the courses, or if going in with very little 3D knowledge is ok.

I've been told most of my first year is just basic curriculum with a few electives that relate to my major so I figure I can start to teach myself some 3D modeling in some free time. I was just wondering how much they really teach you and how much you should know before going into the classes.

Also as a last small question (sorry if I'm overloading you with dumb questions), I was wondering how technical the programming aspect of visual effects is. It was the only thing that threw up a warning flag to me when I was going over the courses involved with the major. I took a few programming classes in High school and did ok in them, but it was nothing complicated. In general I was wondering how much is taught and how much is expected to be learned in any art school, but especially SCAD. I already know more than the average person when it comes to video editing and drawing in general, because I see it as a hobby now. I was just curious if art school is more of a teaching you everything correctly, or refining skills you should already have.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
Thanks for all the help! Sadly it looks like I'm not going to be able to go to scad this year. I can't get a Federal loan because my cosigner, my mom, has too poor a credit history. I guess this gives me another year to make some money in the workforce and work on my 3D skills.