Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

I'm working on a Rails app as a solo project. My project is essentially a ticket-tracking system aimed at small teams (not exactly, but it's a close analogy). I'm a pretty experienced back-end developer; I've been using Rails off and on since 2005, and before that I worked with Perl and PHP. I've got a working knowledge of the front end, but it's definitely not my wheelhouse.

Given that I'm working alone and not that big a fan of JS, I'm inclined to build a more traditional erb-based app returning HTML, rather than a JSON API with a separate React/Angular/Vue app consuming it. It just seems like a lot of additional complexity for a single-person project. So I'm looking around for JS frameworks to add behavior to DOM elements where needed, rather than build a whole client app.

The two options I've been considering are Stimulus and Alpine. Stimulus has the Basecamp imprimatur, but doesn't seem to have gotten much adoption and the repo is getting stale. Alpine's under more active development, and has a more interesting story, but I'm leery of picking some random JS library that dies out after six months and then I've got to rewrite a bunch of my front end. Anyone here have any experience or feedback on these, or on alternatives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

xtal posted:

I haven't used any of those but have also heard about htmx.org a lot lately

Thanks, that's exactly the sort of thing I'm interested in. I'll check it out.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Interesting. Have you tried Alpine before? It's modeled after Vue, and it's designed to do what you're using Vue to do. My hope is to keep payloads as small as possible.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

I'm working on a solo project using Rails with Docker, deploying to Heroku, mostly so I can get my feet wet with containers. My dev setup is basically having rvm and whatnot running natively on my Mac so I can run bundle and yarn to set up dependencies there, but only having a database instance inside my local container setup and only running tests and my dev server that way. I have no idea if this is a good way to do things. Any wisdom to share on developing locally with Docker?

Steely Dad fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 28, 2021

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

I want to obfuscate IDs in my URLs without having to either change my primary key types or add slug attributes to my models and use those. In the past, I've used the hashid gem for this and it worked well, but I see it hasn't been maintained in 4 years. Anybody else know of an actively maintained gem they like for this purpose?

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Perfect, and I'm already using Jumpstart. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Interesting! Hadn't seen those before. I think I'm leaning towards the simplicity of excid3's gem, but it's good to know about this one, too.