Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jackdonkey
May 31, 2007
i just started using rails 6 months ago. I work at one small company that are foolish enough to pay me to work all day long learning/writing code for cad macros or the database. My app folder in my project is up to 1.56 megs worth of code, but I still don't know crap. My database looks pretty, goes fast, and uses all free software though so works happy.

I haven't figured out how to sort some stuff though,
user_id
qc_user_id

they both link to the same user table so I can't figure out how to sort by qc_user's name instead of the integer. Whatever I'll get it someday. It's been in operation now for about 1.5 months with no major problems, other than importing the customer pricing wrong on the first day, but that was just a simple fix to the code and reimporting.

I even use WIN32OLE to link up with access to print reports, haven't figured out how to make reports that are 2 or more records though, just 1 at a time now :( for the paperwork that goes through the shop. So I guess access isn't free, but the rest of the software is.

I'm still pretty clueless on programming, but at least I can go from cad data file to a cnc file using a ruby script :) But the best part is i'm getting paid to learn basically, and I don't have to talk to customers anymore, hooray, I like ruby, and rails is cool too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackdonkey
May 31, 2007
I use rails for my company's database or to edit and view my company's database for those who wish to remind me that rails isn't a database. Anyway to print out job travelers and such I use WIN32OLE to print out forms from a copy of Access on the server. Is anyone else in a position where they have to print forms out and if so what do you use?