Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Is there a general Ruby thread, or is this the closest thing?

The Y of my personal X-Y problem is "I'm trying to maintain Gitlab on FreeBSD, and Gitlab is a massive Ruby app and it isn't properly supported on FreeBSD except by one German guy who writes docs that don't quite work and doesn't reply to email".

Specifically I'm trying to run database migrations, and the rake command is failing because of missing gems, but I suspect they're missing because the maintainer guy didn't build the package properly, but again, he's not responding to email.

Does any kind goon have any experience in this sort of area?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean .. it's not a specific error, it's more like "does anyone have deep knowledge in reverse-engineering Gitlab and its database migrations".

The upgrade documentation I was following is here https://gitlab.fechner.net/mfechner/Gitlab-docu/blob/master/update/14.9-14.10-freebsd.md but it hasn't been responding for a few days, which is a great sign.

This is the page on Gitlab's docs that describes dealing with stuck batched migrations: https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/admin_area/monitoring/background_migrations.html#manually-finishing-a-batched-background-migration but it isn't directly applicable to FreeBSD (the docs from the mfechner site talked about "rake" instead of "gitlab-rake", etc).

I no longer have the commands in my history to try to rerun them and I can't do it from memory, but I was getting stuff like:

code:
.. fuckin ... I can't copy-paste out of WhatsApp which is where I had pasted my last error output to someone I managed to get to try to help me. Apparently WhatsApp doesn't have "copy" wtf

Anyway

Which I "solved" by installing the FreeBSD package of rubygem-rspec and manually adding that require statement; but then

So, yeah. What it all comes down to is that I feel like I'm the only person who's ever attempted this particular thing and everyone who could possibly help has vanished off the earth.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh hooray, their site is finally back up:

https://gitlab.fechner.net/mfechner/Gitlab-docu/blob/master/update/14.9-14.10-freebsd.md

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The background migrations finally worked fwiw, after I waited for 15.0 to be packaged and ported and it fixed the stupid dependency issues.

But yeah, Gitlab is a staple at like three recent jobs, and now I have my own!