Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
I used rails for like a year from 2014 to 2015 and loved it, then switched to Django.

Have there been any big changes to rails since that would make it faster to get something up and running vs Django?

Also I pretty much only ran Django on app engine. Is there something similarly convenient for ruby/rails apps so I don't need to learn like a dozen AWS tools to deploy a rails app or fuss with servers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Sounds way better than what I was using, Rails 2 because our team was afraid to migrate to Rails 3 iirc.

Really sounds tempting for personal projects. Nearly all my experience has been python+Django on app engine, though, so there's gonna be extra work involved as I have to learn a new platform, one that probably won't take care of as much of the nuisances that App engine did.

Will see if heroku is good. I glanced at it and it seemed like a pain in the rear end but so did app engine when I first used it.

oliveoil fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 28, 2021

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Yeah, I don't blame them for being afraid. Our stack was about as non-standard as you could possibly get so just getting rails 2 running in the first place was a complicated mess.

And you're making me feel better about my next attempt to try out heroku.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

kayakyakr posted:

Totally a valid setup. Docker desktop has a beta feature available for development containers. VSCode can connect straight into those containers. You don't actually have to have any natively installed dependencies, it can all be in docker.

See more here:
https://docs.docker.com/desktop/dev-environments/

So I can have the same dev environment for my hobby projects no matter which PC I develop on WITHOUT any hassle to make sure I set them up the same?

That's awesome.