Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
I'm really not a fan of Rails for the most part, but sticking to the thread topic, I will say that the logging (especially in development mode) is the most thorough I've ever seen. It's wordy as hell, but pretty much anything you would ever need is in there, provided you can grep your way to it.

Breakpoints and the Script Console are pretty neat, too. I like that they made RoR apps as easy to debug as they are to program in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

bitprophet posted:

I probably shouldn't even post in this thread, not having used Rails yet (started reading Ruby tutorials the other day, though, as my new job may have me doing some Rails work) but: how are the mentioned tools different from using e.g. Firebug or the Web Developer FF extension?

They're different in that they run on the server. The way script console works, you get a line-by-line Ruby environment, where you can do anything you could do in a RoR page. I don't think I ever hit the database directly, once I started using that. You want to ban someone? User.find(4).ban Check the size of the posts table? Posts.find_all().length

It's really goddamned useful for fixing models and controllers. Firebug is to CSS and HTML what Script console is to Ruby.

Breakpoints are placed in the site code, in any model, view, or controller. When the code hits that line, it stops executing, and you get control over it in the console at that point. So if variables aren't displaying right or something, throw in a breakpoint, and see what the value is exactly at that point in the code.

Seriously, the debugging tools are about the only reason I'd ever use Rails.

bitprophet posted:

(...and will I be the only RoR user who has a dislike for the David Hanssen style of "arrogance and overstatement is awesome" showmanship? :v:)

No, that's actually a big turn-off for me, too. I kind of stopped reading the 37Signals blog after his little conference stunt.

Basically, he did a talk about the future of Rails, and at the end, he said that if you don't like the way rails is going, gently caress you. Seriously, the last slide was just that.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

slobodan posted:

The thing with having someone like DHH as the face of Rails, you kinda only have to ignore the one megalomaniac. I'd probably prefer that to watching a few egos fighting for top dog. I just wish DHH would learn to say 'we' a little bit more often. It always appears like he's constantly taking credit for other people's work (ie. the recent Rails logo rant). You just gotta laugh! The next generation of Baby Boomers are here :(

He just comes off like a prick, is all I'm saying.