Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walrus791
Sep 4, 2002

Ugly, greasy retard.
I just started using Rails for a freelance web app I'm doing. I initially started the project in PHP and the time it was taking to get ANYTHING done in php was killing me, and I have a pretty good knowledge of the language. Its just the tediousness of having to tell your program EVERYTHING.

Rails is a bit better at the instant gratification that I need. The app I'm going to wind up with is going to have more features, a cleaner design, and an easier time getting new features later. I can't say I could have done that with straight PHP (dont know nothing about stuff like Cake though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walrus791
Sep 4, 2002

Ugly, greasy retard.
Whats everyone using as a Rails IDE? I just installed Apanta/RadRails for Eclipse and its looking very convenient, if a little shallow. Still more then SciTE/Notepad++, but still, a nice IDE goes a long ways.

Walrus791
Sep 4, 2002

Ugly, greasy retard.

slobodan posted:

The thing with having someone like DHH as the face of Rails, you kinda only have to ignore the one megalomaniac. I'd probably prefer that to watching a few egos fighting for top dog. I just wish DHH would learn to say 'we' a little bit more often. It always appears like he's constantly taking credit for other people's work (ie. the recent Rails logo rant). You just gotta laugh! The next generation of Baby Boomers are here :(

Its unfortunate that DHH is doing things the way he is, but alot of smart people are equating a languages popularity has a factor in its success. So is he a dick? yeah, but I think it might help rails in the long run. No press is bad press