Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Rails makes me cry when I look at the SQL calls. I mean, it's very easy to get a working application, but then you wonder why it's slow, and it's because it's doing 100 db calls for a 100 item list. Oy.

Given that, I did write a whole website in it, and it has actual users who aren't me. And I haven't touched it in 6 months and it's still working, so not bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

So nowadays, what's the best way to do the web side of RoR, on a shared host?

I wrote an app about a year ago that used dispatch.fcgi, and it was stable and I haven't touched it in a year, but Dreamhost said "go dedicated or shut it off" (grrr), so I now I am moving to a diff host and have to think about it again.

Really not looking forward to this.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 4, 2008

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

A quick follow-up: it was really quite easy to get my app running on mongrel instead of FCGI. Biggest problem I had was that my new host didn't have the same version of MySql libraries as the old one (or what I had on my dev box).