Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Have any of you people had any luck making rails sane with webfaction. They are a loving good django host but my experience of them with rails has been deranged. Tripping over and smacking my head at the first obstacle of gem not having access to anywhere to write gems, kind of makes rails a bit useless frankly, particularly since what I want is to just get bloody redmine working with a few plugins (yes theres a default redmine installed, no its not any better trying to get plugins installed because its just not recognising gruff which I need.

has anyone else had better experiences, or should I just cancel and go elsewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Are there any decent alternatives to active record that implement a proper data mapping pattern and play nice with the ecosystem.

I'm fairly new to rails (Coming from a django background, new jobs uses rails), but was completely dumbstruck that active record doesnt create database constrains on relationships, and the dude who wrote them apparently doesnt believe in them. Thats a pretty bad sign in my books, so whats the alternatives?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

kayakyakr posted:

The worst part of that is that it's Oracle. Yuck. If I had my druthers, I'd migrate it all to postgres and not look back.

Oracle is like the mob. You dont just leave the family, unless its in a coffin. My last govt job out of our team of six tasked with migrating from oracle to postgres, we had one guy who's entire job was figuring out how to break that contract without throwing the whole operation into tens of millions of dollars in legal costs. Oracle is a loving nightmare.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Partycat posted:

I have been working on developing my internal toolset in ruby and rails, and have been slowly improving with my techniques, built my own internal gem for some modules, etc

Is the general opinion on this that I should be doing this in python instead at this point? Is Ruby falling apart into decay?
Unpopular opinion, but yes. Ditto with Node JS. The jobs have been drying up as companies move across to python, and a LOT of pretty important libraries seem abandoned now.

quote:

Python immediately turned me off by being column/space dependent giving me COBOL flashbacks, was really hoping not to have to deal with that poo poo or line terminators ever again.

Im an ex-COBOL coder too. So I feel you on this one. But overcome it. Ive been using python since the 90s and its a genuinely great little language. Its got its downsides, I wish they'd adapt rubys closures, but its a mature, comfortable language wth some genuinely great libraries. Well unless the hipsters get bored and leave a trail of library corpses as they shfit to, i dunno , loving Golang or something. And while Rails is pretty fun to work with, Django's ORM blows pretty much the entire field of its competitors out the water. Class based views are a clusterfuck though.Rail's Spec is peerless though. Best testing system ive ever worked with

duck monster fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Oct 4, 2019

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

edit: whoops identity leak

duck monster fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 10, 2019

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

We had an issue once where resizing the window during a test caused it to fail intermittently in CI. That was fun.

We had to abandon AWS' device farm because randomly it wouldnt open the app, and instead just click on random poo poo. Actually it almost never did. loving useless

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

xtal posted:

I haven't used any of those but have also heard about htmx.org a lot lately

Oh this thing is nice. Perfect. I detest JS, it just pisses me off with its build chains and constantly moving targets and lovely SPAs with no sense of semantic properness or backward compatibility. Sure I can build React SPAs in my sleep, but I just hate it. Its such a step backwards for the industry.

This, this is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Man. I've never had a really close look at Gitlab, but poking around it, its pretty loving good. Especially since Redmine feels so archaic these days.