Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roloc
Apr 6, 2005

legalcondom posted:

Alright, that's all I wanted to know, it's just a preference in synax. I guess my issue is just that I'm used to perl, php and other languages that are similar. It's kind of difficult for me to pick up/use ruby because it's quite different and the approach is different than what I'm used to.

I am actually in the same boat as you. However I fear being stagnant and not at least trying out the next new things. I feel like this with Ruby, as well as Flex and Silverlight technologies.

However I think with syntax simplicity comes improved productivity and better maintainability. So there is some benefit to having a "lighter" syntax. Not even mentioning the forced MVC architecture.

My issue now is more of how well does it integrate with web servers, that will overall effect my adaptation to it or not. I have always had an issue with deploying Java technology on a single server with both a web server and an app server, I know this isn't required but it seems to be the norm.

Found these:
http://www.modruby.net/en/ -- Apache
http://made-of-stone.blogspot.com/2006/01/rails-on-iis-revisited.html -IIS

I like this setup though much better than Tomcat or Websphere for example, although both are super powerful it would be nice to have a middle solution, much like I use PHP for now.

The IIS one seems like a huge PITA which concerns me. Not that I am a huge fan of IIS but some of my clients are, anyone know a better way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roloc
Apr 6, 2005

vg8000 posted:

The simple answer is don't use Rails on Windows in production. It really really sucks and very few people are doing anything about it.

That said I have a Rails app in production on a Windows server (internal app for the company I work for). I have Apache on the front proxying to mongrel for this one app, and proxying to IIS for the other apps on the server. It's not pretty but it works and the app gets low traffic so performance isn't really an issue.

Thank you that probably saved me a few headaches. It is tough for me to buy into Ruby as a solution then because I have to be able to suggest stuff that works well on Windows since most of my business is with the State of California and they have been hard sold on .NET stuff.

I am going to keep it in mind should a decent Linux contract come along.