Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN

legalcondom posted:

On that note, RoR is neat but it's not the solution everyone claims it is. I just don't understand the whole buzz around RoR and why it's so great.

Fewer dollar signs

TheFlyingDutchman posted:

On that note, is there any good books out there for RoR? Yes, there's the online documentation, but sometimes a book does a bit more for me. Anyone have any suggestions?

http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/title/rails/ is sort of the standard. I have it, but it was free for me. You might also consider the Programming Ruby book too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

take boat
Jul 8, 2006

legalcondom posted:

This is exactly why I don't understand what the big deal about ruby is. Sure it has an "official" framework but other than that I don't see any benefits.

Like that other dude said in his argument against perl, the only thing perl excels at compared to ruby is in performance and aesthetics(not sure I agree with that but I'll take it), but what else is there?. I just can't figure out a niche or function that Ruby/RoR fills for me as a developer.

I'm not sure what your point is; in one post you make a framework comparison and ask what's the buzz around Rails about, in the next you say you don't want a framework comparison and say anything Ruby can do Perl can do better. Ruby is a unix-oriented scripting language with a number of libraries built for it, and it combines a number of programming paradigms and clever language tricks and syntax in a way that many find elegant and usable. Perl, by contrast, is a unix-oriented scripting language with a number of libraries built for it, with a syntax that is nothing short of god awful. Much like Perl and PHP and Python, Ruby has no special domain where only it can ever be used.

Also whatever database you're using must be pretty awesome if it knows how to automatically keep an updated age field :shobon:

take boat
Jul 8, 2006

enki42 posted:

Umm, MSSQL and Oracle can both do this - I do think it's better that it's done by the business logic, but it's not exactly a way-out-there feature.
Really? You can fake it in MySQL using views, I know, but do you mean they have an actual age field? I am not exactly up on databases though so either way would not surprise me.