Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Osmosisch posted:

Things I strongly dislike about it:
- The total assassination of Vetinari's character as a cool and collected behind-the-scenes person (and Lady Margolotta along with him) in favour of a weird monologuer. A completely different character.

I noticed this a fair bit in the later books, where the narrative would grind to a halt so a character could give a long monologue about how they were right and everyone else was going to shut up and listen to them because they’re at the end of their patience. I remember Snuff being especially bad about it — you could maybe get away with that from someone like Vimes or Granny who has, in some sense, earned our trust, but not from a pissant like Feeney who’s appearing on the page for the first time and hadn’t exactly given the best account of themselves when they were here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

freelop posted:

I read them in publication order and enjoyed the progression of the world as Pratchett developed it in his mind.

At first I was going to skip the young adult books but that was the absolute wrongest idea.

I envy you. I fell for those reading order list scams and read them by setting. All the watch ones. Then the wizard ones etc.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Reading spending character sets is better for rereads imo

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

What are some of the most egregious examples of a non watch book set in Anhk Moorpork that eventually became a Watch Book? Heard that’s the reason why Pratchett created Moist Von Lippig.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The Truth butted up pretty hard with the Watch

I saw new covers for Discworld books at my job yesterday and I can’t say I care for them

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
The Truth feels anti-Watch in the same way the Moist books are, because the Watch are pretty much antagonists in them.

While it's not set in Ankh Morpork, I think Monstrous Regiment most strongly ends up being a Watch book, given how many of them show up in the end as Good Guys/secret saviors throughout the entire story.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Those covers are very generic.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

thetoughestbean posted:

I saw new covers for Discworld books at my job yesterday and I can’t say I care for them

Those look like they're books 3 and 4 in the Blood and Thorns Saga or something, where's the character?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I mean it's those covers or the originals but weirdly zoomed in and blurry, unfortunately. Also some "collectors edition" hardcovers or something that are also generic but hand drawn?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Who the hell is in charge of these things now?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

thetoughestbean posted:

Yeah, I don’t like them, either. I quite like the hardcover woodcut ones though.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, I don’t like them, either. I quite like the hardcover woodcut ones though.

these are goddamn fantastic, I should look into whether there's a way to switch the covers on the ebook versions I have from that enormous bundle because wow, I hate them and I love these

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

The_Doctor posted:

These are great

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Any day now they should be releasing the matching edition of Dodger.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Xarn posted:

Who the hell is in charge of these things now?

The publisher, i imagine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I suspect it all goes before Rob these days.