Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Yeah, the Night Watch and Jingo audiobooks are hard to find on US sites. I had to :filez: my way into Night Watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Jedit posted:

If you go back to Mort you might like it less for how it ties in to the later books.

If you read Soul Music carefully, you will realise that Mort actually did die when he was 32 as Ysabell had calculated from the flipping of his lifetimer. And Death would also have known that she would die at the same time. So while Death obviously thinks in terms of lifetimes and inevitability rather than years - when Mort asks about it he says "YOU HAVE SUFFICIENT" - he knew he was sending his daughter to die young. It feels cold from a character who is fundamentally sympathetic in his later appearances.

i always read that less of him being cold and more "that was the best I could do". Mort was going to die, his sand had run out, and the only option was to flip it. They had 16 years to bring about the 'correct' history that Mort originally prevented. Him hammering home to Susan that he took them the instant they crashed to make sure they didn't suffer was similar.

She was also talking with Death from 16 years ago, moments after the fight with Mort. Post-Reaper Man Death was the one willing to bluff Fame or whatever that force was by playing the Final Chord and going "BRING THEM BACK".

Mad Hamish posted:

I was referring to Death's decision in Mort to let Ysabelle leave even though he knew it meant he'd lose her forever.

Death started doing a lot of things humans do in an attempt to figure out how they worked and why they did the things that they did, but it ended up humanizing him instead.

Death's hatred of whomever it was that harmed those kittens in Mort struck me even as a kid as a major change. Plus the bit in Small Gods where he doesn't let himself feel enjoyment about reaping some people but does allow for satisfaction.

He also didn't lose her forever - Susan had vague memories about swinging near the wheat field and bouncing on her grandfather's knee. Or, rather, a pillow tied to his knee. Mort and Ysbella just freaked out and stopped the visits as she got older and they realized that death was hereditary.

Mad Hamish posted:

It's such good book.

It is. And at the risk of oversharing the reason i'm posting about it today is that i reread it during a dark time.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

I feel Mort isn't the best Discworld book, but it might be the one I'd want to see given the movie treatment.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

IshmaelZarkov posted:

I feel Mort isn't the best Discworld book, but it might be the one I'd want to see given the movie treatment.

Just remove the whole Death angle and you've got a deal!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

IshmaelZarkov posted:

It’s arguably the first one that feels like ‘proper’ Discworld.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

To my recollection there was a time Disney was considering a movie based on Mort, I think, but it fell through. I assume the seed of that idea became Coco.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I'm still not sure that it's fair to weigh some of the earlier books against the latter, stronger ones.

Except for Pyramids. I think that's the only one i've not found the desire to revisit.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

The_Doctor posted:

It’s arguably the first one that feels like ‘proper’ Discworld.

agreedo

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

citybeatnik posted:

Except for Pyramids. I think that's the only one i've not found the desire to revisit.
The Assassins' Guild exams are hilarious, but I generally tend to put the book away after that.

Mort was my first Pratchett and I've been hooked ever since. It's not so strong when compared with the laters but it's still a leap ahead from Equal Rites (even if just because it doesn't involve The Dungeon Dimensions Plot). I do think the book where Discworld comes into its own is Wyrd Sisters, though.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 25, 2024

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

citybeatnik posted:

I'd still call it the best standalone introduction to the series. It's got immediate hilarity (especially if you've ever taken a driving exam), a monstrous villain with surprising depth, recognizable points from history, the camels...

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Arist posted:

To my recollection there was a time Disney was considering a movie based on Mort, I think, but it fell through. I assume the seed of that idea became Coco.

Yes! They talk about it in the biography, apparently the deal was that Disney owned the characters in perpetuity, and everything they did, and Terry laughed in their face once that was clear.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Arbite posted:

I'd still call it the best standalone introduction to the series. It's got immediate hilarity (especially if you've ever taken a driving exam), a monstrous villain with surprising depth, recognizable points from history, the camels...

Vorbis is a classic Pratchett villain, though i also have a soft spot for Reacher Gilt.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

Arbite posted:

I love Pyramids, but I think best standalone introduction has to go to Small Gods, which is kind of Pyramids but done much better. That said, you don't really get to see Ankh-Morpork at all in Small Gods, which is pretty vital to understanding what the series is going to be like on the whole.

Strange Cares fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 25, 2024

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
I started on Guards! Guards!

Sam Vimes, always.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Strange Cares posted:

I love Pyramids, but I think best standalone introduction has to go to Small Gods, which is kind of Pyramids but done much better. That said, you don't really get to see Ankh-Morpork at all in Small Gods, which is pretty vital to understanding what the series is going to be like on the whole.

Small Gods is my favourite book of his without qualifications, barring perhaps Nation. That said, it is extremely not the first Discworld book I'd recommend people since it is almost entirely isolated from any of the other books. Mort is actually the point I tell people to start since it's the first really character-building book. If Death and his apprentice don't get you into the series I think nothing will.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Monica Bellucci posted:

Sam Vimes, always.

The city is a woman

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Fighting Trousers posted:

The city is a woman

Too loving sober.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Monica Bellucci posted:

Sam Vimes, always.

That was the one that I got my nephew for Christmas as an intro to the series. According to my brother he devoured it in a few days and then went off to find more, so I'd say mission accomplished. I think Vimes books are generally more straightforward adventure/whodunit plots so they're an easy way to draw people into the setting.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The City Watch books are fantastic because they are pretty much all standout examples of the genre they're parodying.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Osmosisch posted:

If Death and his apprentice don't get you into the series I think nothing will.

If you'd given me Mort first, I would have just bounced off it; but whoever introduced me to Discworld made the perfect call with Jingo. It didn't matter that it was in the middle of a series, what mattered was it was the right book for me at the right time. The joy of Pratchett is there's so many different ways in that something will speak to most people on that deep level, then the general style carries me through books like Maskerade or Interesting Times where I'm clearly missing a lot of things but it's still a good time. If I'm trying to introduce a fan of operas or musicals to Discworld, I'm probably going to give them Maskerade, where I'd give the crime maven Men at Arms, the Fritz Lieber fan gets The Colour of Magic, and the YA head gets Tiffany Aching or Johnny Maxwell.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Trin Tragula posted:

If you'd given me Mort first, I would have just bounced off it; but whoever introduced me to Discworld made the perfect call with Jingo.

Haha, wow. That's probably my third-least favourite in the entire (after Moving Pictures and Interesting Times). Goes to show I guess.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Where would y'all recommend on starting Terry Pratchett? I've been seeing his quotes pop up in a lot of different places, and I think it's a sign I should read his stuff. The most recent was the instruction booklet for the board game Welcome to Doomrock.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Guards! Guards! is probably the best possible place to start. It doesn't explain every detail of the setting like starting with Colour of Magic would, but G!G! is very contained in setting to just Ankh-Morpork so that doesn't really matter. The important stuff gets explained, and it's the origin of the classic "Knowledge = power = energy = matter = mass," which is one of the building blocks of the entire setting and tells you everything you need to know right there.

It's also just one of my favorites.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Guards, Guards! is a common recommendation. It's the first book in the popular Vimes storyline.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think the main rub with starting there is that it might not be immediately clear who this mysterious gentleman who speaks in small caps is, but I think you would figure it out quickly enough

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Wyrd Sisters or Small Gods would be my personal recommendations, but there's a few good choices.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

LifeLynx posted:

Where would y'all recommend on starting Terry Pratchett? I've been seeing his quotes pop up in a lot of different places, and I think it's a sign I should read his stuff. The most recent was the instruction booklet for the board game Welcome to Doomrock.

Do you like urban fantasy and police procedurals? - Guards Guards
Do you like rural fantasy, Shakespeare, and witches? -Wyrd Sisters
Do you like pastiches of classic fantasy? - The Colour Of Magic
Do you like...uhhhh.. Death? - Mort
Do you like/hate monotheism? - Small Gods
Do you like early modern warfare and gender roles? - Monstrous Regiment (maybe read this after the Watch books)

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Mar 26, 2024

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Publication order, don't listen to anyone else I'm the correct one

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Whichever book you find first as a tattered paperback somewhere

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
At my job I typically hand people Guards! Guards! or Wyrd Sisters. Occasionally I give people Wee Free Men but that’s mostly if they have a YA reader

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

sebmojo posted:

This is the way.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

sebmojo posted:

:hai:

Alternately, the first one you grab off your library's shelf.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Guards! Guards! is the best place to start because the main character of the Discworld is the city of Ankh-Morpork and it's the best introduction to the city.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya9MK4y3R3w

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Publication order, don't listen to anyone else I'm the correct one

I'm in general a big fan of publication order in reading anything... but I really am not a fan of Rincewind and I find the first couple books where it feels more like a proto-discworld that hasn't fully congealed yet are a bit rough... my advice to folks who start with the first book and it doesn't click for them is to pick up something a bit further on give it a try before giving up on discworld entirely.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
start with whichever catches your eye at the library and then just work your way out

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Publication order starting at either Equal Rites or Mort. Worked for me.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

sebmojo posted:

This is the way. I started on a dogeared copy of Pyramids I found left at a bus stop, which then got passed on to a friend.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
Personally I don't think there's really a bad place to start. My first was Interesting Times, and I definitely lacked some (major) knowledge of setting and characters and previous events but the book grabbed me.

I also read Men at Arms before Guards! Guards! and can't say I lost anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think that's the thing, each book is part of like, the long running drama that is Discworld but each novel is still a self-contained narrative. You're given enough previous information that starting a series halfway through isn't going to cause problems.