Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

sebmojo posted:

Whichever book you find first as a tattered paperback somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

YggiDee posted:

I think that's the thing, each book is part of like, the long running drama that is Discworld but each novel is still a self-contained narrative. You're given enough previous information that starting a series halfway through isn't going to cause problems.

Exactly. And with Interesting Times I remember there being so much good stuff relating to Cohen and the Horde and general ribbing of tea ceremonies and One Big Mother that it didn't matter that I didn't know of Rincewinds' and Twoflowers' previous adventures.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

LifeLynx posted:

Where would y'all recommend on starting Terry Pratchett? I've been seeing his quotes pop up in a lot of different places, and I think it's a sign I should read his stuff. The most recent was the instruction booklet for the board game Welcome to Doomrock.

Every book is standalone enough that the correct answer is "whichever book you pick up because it looks interesting". There's read lists, and recurring characters, and people will argue about a "proper" start but like Trin Trigula said above you, starting with a book that you're not as interested in is going to bounce right off. Once you've read one of the books and say "I want to know more about this character, or that place" then you can look at various reading lists people have done with some context.

The first couple (Colour of Magic and Light Fantastic, some people add Equal Rites but I like it) are a little rough when he hasn't quite found his voice yet, but the wit's still there. The first two books are very much parodies of old sword and sorcery stuff like Conan, complete with parodying their writing styles to an extent, so they can be a little confusing and difficult to get into if you don't notice that's what's going on. I re-read them last year, though, and they're a lot more readable than I remember. Just weird compared to his other books.

The last few (most folks start this section at Unseen Academicals) are when his condition was deteriorating and the voice of the books suffers as the editing process became more difficult. Again, not a great place to start if you're trying to get into the series by getting a sense of the author. Also he knew things were ending, so these stories are kinda wrapping things up. Giving characters, if not an ending, some resolution and stability.

Anything in-between you're not really going to go wrong. And even those ends aren't *bad* if something speaks to you, just not ideal if you're neutral on them. Personally I like Small Gods because of the subject matter and the standalone setting doesn't commit a new reader to any place to go from there, others think it's a bad place to start for the same reasons.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bruceski posted:

Every book is standalone enough that the correct answer is "yo, whichever one i select".

Deep cut

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

sebmojo posted:

Deep cut

A good cut

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

I read them in publication order and enjoyed the progression of the world as Pratchett developed it in his mind.

At first I was going to skip the young adult books but that was the absolute wrongest idea.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

freelop posted:

I read them in publication order and enjoyed the progression of the world as Pratchett developed it in his mind.

At first I was going to skip the young adult books but that was the absolute wrongest idea.

The Tiffany Aching books are solid gold, and anyone who has slept on them needs to fix that asap. They're some of Pratchett's very best books.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Bruceski posted:

A good cut

a very Cool cut

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

freelop posted:

yeah, the only difference is they have chapters really.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

sebmojo posted:

Along with Going Postal for some obscure reason.

Bumfluff
Jun 19, 2008

Bumfluff!
It's me, Mabel!
I'm looking at you through the av!
Right here!
This is my voice!
I'm talking to you from inside!

My route was Guards! Guards!, Men at Arms, Moving Pictures then publication order. Decided I like the world itself enough to read everything rather than picking and choosing.

Witches + Aching is my favourite series but Night Watch is my favourite book.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

sebmojo posted:

I was looking for a quote that I swear I read from some interview where he says something like "the difference between my adult books and my young adult books is that the YA books are darker".

Couldn't find that quote but did find this one

quote:

"My advice is this. For Christ's sake, don't write a book that is suitable for a kid of 12 years old, because the kids who read who are 12 years old are reading books for adults. I read all of the James Bond books when I was about 11, which was approximately the right time to read James Bond books. So you work out this kind of little equation in your head and you think, yeah, like Nation – the one that's just come out – that's a book for kids. And people will say: 'Well it covers very adult subjects ...' Yeah, that's why it's a book for kids. Because you want kids to grow up to be adults, not just bigger kids."

nice slam on ian fleming lmao

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

When do the clacks towers show up? It seems around Carpe Jugulum they begin to be mentioned more heavily but without much explanation.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Beer_Suitcase posted:

When do the clacks towers show up? It seems around Carpe Jugulum they begin to be mentioned more heavily but without much explanation.

https://wiki.lspace.org/Clacks

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

DontMockMySmock posted:

I was looking for a quote that I swear I read from some interview where he says something like "the difference between my adult books and my young adult books is that the YA books are darker".

Couldn't find that quote but did find this one

nice slam on ian fleming lmao

Susan is used to express this sentiment pretty often. Something along the lines of, the difference between a shepherd and a teacher is that sheep will never be anything more than sheep, but children should grow up into adults.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
My first Discworld book was a Thud! because it was in my college bookstore’s display and I picked it up on my scholarship’s book allowance.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

DreamingofRoses posted:

My first Discworld book was a Thud! because it was in my college bookstore’s display and I picked it up on my scholarship’s book allowance.

Thud is great, one of his better ones imo.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Thud! was also my first DW book; picked it up randomly while browsing in a bookstore after college classes that day long ago. Changed my life, pretty much, and for the better.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

What's the general consensus on Eric? I never see anyone so much as mention it.

I treated myself today to The Last Hero (I have the original release but it is too absurdly gigantic to actually read) and the illustrated version of Eric, which I didn't know was a thing. I don't think I've seen any Josh Kirby illustrations that aren't full cover pieces, so that'll be fun to look through.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Eric is a weird book, it's like barely half the length of all the others and I think the illustrated version is the original version.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Welp, I've arrived at Unseen Academicals on my series re-read :smith:

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Osmosisch posted:

Hah, me too. I don't find it nearly as gripping as even the book right before it, Making Money, which was better than I remembered. I do think there is a significant quality drop off, but it is made a lot worse by the fact that I do not care about sports and do not know almost anything about English football culture. I find myself not making time to read it the way that I do for other discworld books.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

What's the general consensus on Eric? I never see anyone so much as mention it.

YggiDee posted:

Eric is a weird book, it's like barely half the length of all the others and I think the illustrated version is the original version.

Yeah it's really written to be read with full illustrations, there's a lot of details that are referred to in the text or that are glossed over in the plot because Terry assumes that you're looking at the pictures.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’d love if they got Paul Kidby to do a new illustrated Eric.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Last Hero is basically Kidby's Eric.

I feel like that one is pretty under discussed as well. By far the best appearance for Cohen, and maybe the best Rincewind book too.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

The_Doctor posted:

Don't get me wrong, Kidby is great, but I don't feel like he has the Heironymous Bosch-brain urge that Kirby did to fill every last inch with the greasy little guys that any vision of Hell deserves.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
My library had The Last Hero and it's what got me reading the rest of the series. It's a real good one!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Something I forgot about Eric is that you have the proto-UU staff, like he clearly saw how much potential there was to have a bunch of bickering old men instead of the cutthroat backstabbers of previous books and immediately ran with it.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Undead Hippo posted:

Last Hero is basically Kidby's Eric.

I feel like that one is pretty under discussed as well. By far the best appearance for Cohen, and maybe the best Rincewind book too.

There's a few pictures towards the end of the book that devastated me in the best way.

When the nameless bard performs his song following the heroic sacrifice of the Silver Horde with tears streaming down his face.

And when Cohen realizes that Carrot's the Hero because he's willing to stand up to the Horde on his own.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

citybeatnik posted:

And when Cohen realizes that Carrot's the Hero because he's willing to stand up to the Horde on his own.[/spoiler]

Yeah, I love that bit, "You think he's a hero? Hah! What kind of hero works for fort-three dollars a month? Plus Allowances!" and they all go quiet as they do the mental arithmetic of the hero code that they've all relied on for years.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Osmosisch posted:

It's the longest Discworld novel apparently. Since it's also one of the worse ones, it's length really exacerbates that problem.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I just finally finished Unseen Academicals and it's got a lot of good and cool parts but also lots of parts that overstay their welcome. It's hard to even say why it's bad; it's not, really, it just seems that way after a long string of amazing books from the prime of Discworld. Nutt and Glenda are good characters.

Also I find it funny that in a book ostensibly about association football, only half a football game is actually depicted.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
No, it's about the crowd.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Terry writing a book about football, despite no interest in football, then depicting only half a match, with the book’s actual point of interest being the shared cultural psychogeography of the crowd watching, acting as one beast, is more on brand for him than at first glance.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Yeah, I don't think UE is a bad book, it's just not as good as the preceeding ones.

Raising Steam is a bad book. :smith:

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DontMockMySmock posted:

I just finally finished Unseen Academicals and it's got a lot of good and cool parts but also lots of parts that overstay their welcome. It's hard to even say why it's bad; it's not, really, it just seems that way after a long string of amazing books from the prime of Discworld. Nutt and Glenda are good characters.

Also I find it funny that in a book ostensibly about association football, only half a football game is actually depicted.

Things I strongly dislike about it:
- The total assassination of Vetinari's character as a cool and collected behind-the-scenes person (and Lady Margolotta along with him) in favour of a weird monologuer. A completely different character.
- The mythologising of the football crowd, which, if you want to be fair, does fit the belief->power thing of Discworld but is too close to Roundworld stuff to be comfortable for me
- In general the trend of shoehorning Roundworld things into Discworld even when they don't particularly fit. It's the same reason I don't get on with the Moist books, even though they're less bad about it. Going Postal in particular is pretty nonsensical in this respect, but the scathing takedown of neoliberal privatisation makes me forgive it.
- Just the utter pointlessness of anything happening here except with Nutt/Glenda

There's still plenty to love as well (I'm always happy when the wizards figure as anything more than bit characters, and I like Dr. Hicks a lot), but this book is really were things were going completely off the rails in PTerry's condition and it shows.

Currently halfway through Snuff which suffers from some similar problems but at least it's found a mostly-new setting to do things in so it's less offensive about the discrepancies.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Yeah, I don't think UE is a bad book, it's just not as good as the preceeding ones.

Raising Steam is somewhere between an OK book and a good book, it’s just bad Pratchett.

If it had been written by a fan author deliberately wanting to continue some of the thematic aspects of Discworld while, out of respect for Pratchett, employing a different perspective and style, it’d look like a credible effort.

Or, if Pratchett hadn’t been suffering the embuggerance and had just made the decision to drastically experimemt with style and plotting, we’d probably call it a failed experiment.

It’s only the specific circumstances of its writing that renders it a disappointment or even a personal affront. It’s a monument to losing Pratchett while he was still alive, as opposed to The Shephard’s Crown, which is a memorial.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Raising Steam at least have a plot.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Strange Cares posted:

Yeah it's really written to be read with full illustrations, there's a lot of details that are referred to in the text or that are glossed over in the plot because Terry assumes that you're looking at the pictures.
As someone who read the non-illustrated version like a decade before finding out there was an illustrated version, the only bits that stuck with me are the neuralger joke ("it's a demon that comes and has a headache at you") and the bit at the very end where the one demon is very happy just being a middle manager in Hell. I imagine the pictures would have done a lot more to make it memorable on first impression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Bundle of Holding has the GURPS DIscworld RPG bundle for $14.95. The bundle includes the GURPS Discworld Roleplaying Game as well as GURPS Low-Tech and GURPS Fantasy-Tech 1: The Edge of Reality as pdfs.