Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

it confuses the gently caress out of me when a character says "gel". "when I was a gel".

I ask british goons what the gently caress a gel is and they have no idea. It came to me recently when I imagined a certain type of british accent pronouncing "girl". Actually, I think I was watching some old movie and someone said it and I was just :aaa:

Just reading it, it made no sense ever. There are a lot of endearing british accents. I like the one that the elevator robot in that douglas adams video game about spaceship titanic. The one where it's not exactly cockney and he adds H's to the front of words that don't need them. I've seen the witches do that once or twice when they get self conscious about "dropping aitches"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grum
May 7, 2007
Making Money just came in the post and I'll probably drop all other books to read it, but this topic makes me really want to go back and read others and buy any I've missed, which woudld take a while and cant be good financially.

I also have Small Gods but could never get past the first 30 pages or so years ago, I'll have to see if I can read it now
nevermind that bollocks i was thinking of Eric, don't know how I made that mistake

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.

Sylphosaurus posted:

More Lovecraft references: The Patrician also refers to an "incident" that involved Dagon street and a sushi eatery during a full moon. :cthulhu:
The Three Jolly Luck takeaway fish bar!

(Damned shame about what happened to Mr. Hong. "Crack-crack-gristle-ARRRRGH!" is no way for a man to go.)

I'm wondering if he's setting up for an upcoming book with that, or whether it's just a running joke. Oddly enough, it'd be a parfect venue for a Wizards/Rincewind book if he's ever planning another one, as the Dungeon Dimensions type of story tended to feature them a lot.

And I'm surprised by all the hate for the Fourecks book; it had one of the highest WPP* ratios in all of the Discworld, thus making it objectively good. I liked Moving Pictures a lot too, mostly because it had CMOT doing his thing, and the protagonist was likeable enough.

Certainly better than Monstrous Regiment or the weaker Witch books, at any rate.

And yes, I'm eagerly awaiting the new Lipvig book.

*Wizards Per Page, which is the closest one can come to a standardized measurement of non-Vimesian Discworld book quality. Though a rough measurement at best, it does involve numbers, and thus is lent verifiable objective validity. This follows from the finest traditions of econometricians, who have never let sheer ludicrousness get in the way of a good bit of algebra.

Nomenklatura fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 23, 2007

Cavaradossi
May 12, 2001
Svani per sempre
il sogno mio d'amore
Okay, what's "Shaken players shift the load (9 letters)" at the start of Chapter 12?

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

If Canada is to survive, it can only survive in mutual respect and in love for one another.
Ok, reading Making Money right now... is it just me, or is Pratchett introducing Keynes to the masses?

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

I purchased 'Hogfather' with the adult covers so I could read it twice by Christmas. And wow, the adult covers are NICE. They make me feel grown-up.

Will look for Making Money if Chapters has it. Thud! was excellent, although Night Watch was better. But I'm biased because I love time travelling mind foolery.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Fourecks posted:

I purchased 'Hogfather' with the adult covers so I could read it twice by Christmas. And wow, the adult covers are NICE. They make me feel grown-up.

Will look for Making Money if Chapters has it. Thud! was excellent, although Night Watch was better. But I'm biased because I love time travelling mind foolery.

adult covers? What?

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

The adult covers are black and have photos, instead of the Kirby (?) drawings.

http://www.amazon.com/Hogfather-Discworld-Terry-Pratchett/dp/0552154288/ref=sr_1_9/102-0839454-0332131?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1190677824&sr=8-9

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

is this a kirby cover?
http://www.amazon.com/Guards-Terry-Pratchett/dp/0061020648/ref=sr_1_22/103-0649916-4659804?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1190677988&sr=1-22
because my hogfather isn't the adult one, and it isn't the other one amazon has with the peppermint swirl and a sleigh. It's just some santa looking head with tusks. I can't find it :(

Archetype
Feb 4, 2003

The once gutter trash Dark Hero has risen, like a freakish garbage phoenix, to capture our hearts again.

Krinkle posted:

is this a kirby cover?
http://www.amazon.com/Guards-Terry-Pratchett/dp/0061020648/ref=sr_1_22/103-0649916-4659804?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1190677988&sr=1-22
because my hogfather isn't the adult one, and it isn't the other one amazon has with the peppermint swirl and a sleigh. It's just some santa looking head with tusks. I can't find it :(

Naw those are the crappy American mass trade paperback covers. This would be the particular Hogfather Kirby cover:

I ended up with a nice adult cover of Jingo as a Christmas gift. It is black and has a picture of a sword handles on it. Very snazzy.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Archetype posted:

Naw those are the crappy American mass trade paperback covers. This would be the particular Hogfather Kirby cover:

I ended up with a nice adult cover of Jingo as a Christmas gift. It is black and has a picture of a sword handles on it. Very snazzy.

Yeah I thought so. I also thought that guy died a long time ago and only drew the cover to like the first ten or so.

In the lower right corner what is that thief boiling because it looks to me to a third leg :pwn:

Eunabomber
Dec 30, 2002

Well, I'm standing in line now to have my book signed by pterry. In the q&a he revealed that the crossword puzzle answer is "carthorse"(which is an anagram of orchestra, ie "shaken players")

Other news, the movie adaptation of CoM & LF(being filmed together) Vetinari has been cast and is supposedly "perfect".
Curse these other fans in line. also curse the improbably British family behind me. what are you people doing in torrance!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Vetinari wasn't the Patrician in the first two books :argh:

Eunabomber
Dec 30, 2002

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Movie!

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Pratchett claims he was.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Eunabomber posted:

Other news, the movie adaptation of CoM & LF(being filmed together) Vetinari has been cast and is supposedly "perfect".

Is that this? Says it's for tv, but I suppose you could still call it a movie.

Eunabomber
Dec 30, 2002

LooseChanj posted:

Is that this? Says it's for tv, but I suppose you could still call it a movie.

Yeah, made for TV movie like Hogfather.

And Argus Filch is going to be a pre-change librarian!

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Eunabomber posted:

Yeah, made for TV movie like Hogfather.

I wasn't aware of *any* movies. Is this a british thing?

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
Yes.

I went to the Torrance signing earlier; got there late because I became ensnared in the trap that is IKEA and arrived just in time to hear his last line of the talk and then people lined up for the signing. The line took about two hours to go through; I was one of the last ten or so. There was a surprising amount of people (to me at least) there. I didn't know he was so popular around here; very nice showing. The man himself is much smaller and elderly looking than I realized. I'd like to hear more of what he had to say during his talk, so I'd appreciate any more details.

I've now put my copy away and started looking for an ebook version.

Eunabomber
Dec 30, 2002

bobula posted:

Yes.

I went to the Torrance signing earlier; got there late because I became ensnared in the trap that is IKEA and arrived just in time to hear his last line of the talk and then people lined up for the signing. The line took about two hours to go through; I was one of the last ten or so. There was a surprising amount of people (to me at least) there. I didn't know he was so popular around here; very nice showing. The man himself is much smaller and elderly looking than I realized. I'd like to hear more of what he had to say during his talk, so I'd appreciate any more details.

I've now put my copy away and started looking for an ebook version.

I too was in the very back for the talk as I arrived mere minutes before he began. By pure dumb luck I got into the back of the white ticket line instead of the red ticket line, so it only took me 45 minutes or so. Do you recall the weird people with a vaguely British accent in th back of a line? I was right in front of them.

He talked a little about how traveling is very hard on him, various health issues(I think his parents died or were hospitalized recently) and his bad reaction to CA sushi. Not much about a new Discworld book, he did say something about a non-discworld adventure book, something about how he hates weak woman characters, and how his protagonist-a timid mid Victorian era "gel"-became a badass in two chapters of being shipwrecked. His caveat to this was that his mind is incredibly non-linear, and nothing has been finished yet. I do not recall any questions being asked about the new Tiffany Aching book.
The first thing he did was ask everyone if they liked Mr. Fusspots new toy.

Doh-Doh
May 28, 2001

Renegades of Noise
Bah, sucks living in a non-english speaking country. I preordered Making Money from amazon.de, the shipping date was the 24th. But now it has been pushed back to the first week of october :cry:

Well, on the good side this gives me more time to finish Going Postal for the second time.

I like the "modern" Ankh-Morpork centric books a lot, The Truth and Going Postal are among my favorite Pratchett books. The Tiffany Aching series is brilliant as well.

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

Doh-Doh posted:

Bah, sucks living in a non-english speaking country. I preordered Making Money from amazon.de, the shipping date was the 24th. But now it has been pushed back to the first week of october :cry:

Well, on the good side this gives me more time to finish Going Postal for the second time.

I like the "modern" Ankh-Morpork centric books a lot, The Truth and Going Postal are among my favorite Pratchett books.
Making money is definitely in that vein, though it also manages to do a surprisingly good job (at least up to the point I've read) of explaining the importance of banking and paper currency... in light comedy, no less.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen anything as unquestionably awesome as the pleas of the unwritten letters from Going Postal, but it's DEFINITELY a nice switch from how dark Thud! was, and Moist has turned into one of the best of the running Discworld protagonists.

(If only for his interactions with Vetinari, which are arguably even better than the Vimes/Vetinari relationship. Only Moist could actually snow Vetinari, and only ol' Havelock could discern when Moist is snowing him. Reading them both do it is one of the highlights of the entire series for me.)

Nomenklatura fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 25, 2007

Grum
May 7, 2007

Nomenklatura posted:

Unfortunately, I haven't seen anything as unquestionably awesome as the pleas of the unwritten letters from Going Postal, but it's DEFINITELY a nice switch from how dark Thud! was, and Moist has turned into one of the best of the running Discworld protagonists.

The darkness of Thud! made it amazing when Vimes started shouting WHERES MY COW?

which I loved, so, so much

icenode
May 23, 2003

Grishny groshny grooo!
I'd say The Truth and Thud were possibly among my favourites, though "improving" is a fairly simple way of looking at it. I'd say his earlier books were funnier (Mort, Witches Abroad, Small Gods), though his latest are arguably slightly... cleverer (oh god, I really did just type that). Does that make sense? Books like Masquerade, Jingo and Hogfather were real duds though - I guess after so many books they can't all be great. He's certainly still on form, I think that's easy to agree with.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
I liked Making Money a lot, Mr Bent's origin is cool and the Golem standard (I take it this was a reference to marxism and the value of labour?) is awesome. The highlight of the book had to be the blind letter office, the twisted logic of it all and the reminder of just how clever the Patrician is was great. I know it was just setup for the Patrician adopting Mr Fusspot but I was sad to read that Wuffles had died. Moist is a wonderful tool to show how various large institutions works in a humourous manner and always making you wonder about why a con artist is so very suited to running said institutions. I hope we get to see his next hinted at adventure.

I do have one plot question though, When the gold starts raining into the vault Moist laments that things had "been going so well..." surely extra gold is a good thing now the currency is based on Golems, its just a large amount of a valueable tradeable commodity? Or is he just upset the moment with Adora has been ruined?

icenode posted:

Books like Masquerade, Jingo and Hogfather were real duds though
I really like Jingo and Hogfather, and Masquerade isn't bad, what did you find so unappealing about them?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

icenode posted:

I'd say The Truth and Thud were possibly among my favourites, though "improving" is a fairly simple way of looking at it. I'd say his earlier books were funnier (Mort, Witches Abroad, Small Gods), though his latest are arguably slightly... cleverer (oh god, I really did just type that).

I would mostly agree with that, except the Girls-Night-Out scene in Thud is probably the funniest thing he's ever written.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I think Jingo is one of the best ones. I think it has all the good funny har har from his early books combined with the more intricate nature of his latter works.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
Jingo and Hogfather are two of my favorites, and I really like Maskerade too. :O Really, I'd switch the ones you listed as liking for these. Except Small Gods. Small Gods can stay.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I think Sorcery and Equal Rites are the only two books I'm not a giant fan of, simply because it's pretty obvious that Pratchett wasn't planning on having the series go on as long as it did and the stuff that happens feels out of place compared to the rest of them. Although I did like the call back to Sorcery in one of the later Wizard books, I think the Patrician asks the facility about when the Wizards tried to take over the world.

One of my favorite parts of Making Money was when the Patrician was discussing the latest crossword with Drumknot and mentioned that only 5 or 6 other people knew the answer to a question, one of them being a pet store owner and Vetinari tells him to keep an eye on it since no one who could get that answer could be satisfied with just a pet shop for too long.

I can't remember the exact wording but the one line that really killed me was something like "Rumors are like mushrooms; they both grow in the dark and on bullshit."

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post
For some reason I really disliked Hogfather the first time I read it, when I went back and tried it a second time it turned out to be one of my favorites. I thought he secret identity of the tooth fairy was absolutely brilliant.

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

Grum posted:

The darkness of Thud! made it amazing when Vimes started shouting WHERES MY COW?

which I loved, so, so much
Chill down my goddamned spine. I agree with some of those who say that Vimes is written a bit inconsistently; while there's supposed to be this barely uncaged beast within him, it often doesn't come out due to the very nature of the discworld setting. That scene, though... THAT brought it out properly.

It's a pity that we haven't seen Moist "from the outside" from the perspective of someone like Vimes, by the way. That's one of my favorite parts of Discworld, and after Making Money, I'm anxious to see what others actually think of the man.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Nomenklatura posted:

It's a pity that we haven't seen Moist "from the outside" from the perspective of someone like Vimes, by the way. That's one of my favorite parts of Discworld, and after Making Money, I'm anxious to see what others actually think of the man.

I think it's pretty clear at least from Going Postal (I haven't read Making Money yet, motherfucking Amazon.com gently caress) that Vimes hates everything Moist stands for and would love nothing more than to drag him back in front of the Patrician for something, going "HA! You can't change a con-man's spots!"

Angua seems to like Moist, which makes sense, because Moist is good with the ladies and is good with canines.

Carrot is, of course, Carrot.

Grum
May 7, 2007

Keshik posted:

I think it's pretty clear at least from Going Postal (I haven't read Making Money yet, motherfucking Amazon.com gently caress) that Vimes hates everything Moist stands for and would love nothing more than to drag him back in front of the Patrician for something, going "HA! You can't change a con-man's spots!"

Angua seems to like Moist, which makes sense, because Moist is good with the ladies and is good with canines.

Shorts, you can't change a conmans shorts

I don't know, I just recall Vetinari saying 'cant change a leopards shorts' and going :psyduck: but no one noticed in the book

also I'm hoping that Moist will actually growl under his breath infront of Angua sometime

Grum fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 27, 2007

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
I thought it was Nanny Ogg that said the bit about the leopard's shorts? Or did Vetinari say it too.

edit: dur you must be talking about Making Money which I haven't read yet

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

bobula posted:

I thought it was Nanny Ogg that said the bit about the leopard's shorts? Or did Vetinari say it too.

edit: dur you must be talking about Making Money which I haven't read yet

It is a phrase used constantly in Making Money.

Nomenklatura
Dec 4, 2002

Keshik posted:

Hmm. I don't know if I'd agree. Yes, Vimes has almost certainly figured out that Vimes is a low trickster of a man, but he ALSO managed to piss off (if not ruin) the vast majority of the Trust, and bringing great and powerful men low is something that makes Vimes very, very happy indeed. Certainly when forced to choose between Reacher Gilt and Lipwig he'd choose the latter in a nanosecond.

I think the thing that might annoy Vimes the most about Lipwig is that (at least in Going Postal) Lipwig is about the only person on the Disc would can keep up with Vetinari, which is why (speculation based on Making Money here) The Lipwig series is really about Vetinari grooming his replacement: not another tyrant, but a popular politician with a gift for bullshit that knows how to take people's money and make them happy he did it. Which may just make Lipwig himself the most important person on the Disc, and considering how much I LIKE the character, that makes me a happy reader indeed.

And yes, Carrot is Carrot. Who knows what he's really thinking? Lipwig can read Vetinari, and yet still can't read Carrot. I'd LOVE to see more Lipwig/Carrot scenes, though, based on that speculation above. Their abilities with people compliment each other amazingly; were Carrot ever to become King, he'd need the fully-trained-up Lipwig desperately to add flare and humanity to his somewhat overwhelming ability to dominate and command. Carrot would make a TERRIBLE politician, but he'd need them regardless, and I can't think of a more natural politician than Moist von Lipwig.

In any case, now that I've finished it, I can say that Making Money isn't as good as Going Postal, but it is exactly what the series needed after Thud! and I'm really glad that the "industrial revolution" books have a consistent protagonist. Funny how the once heavily anti-establishment Discworld books have been doing so much institution-building, though. He's fixing all his old jokes.

Nomenklatura fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 28, 2007

icenode
May 23, 2003

Grishny groshny grooo!

bobula posted:

Jingo and Hogfather are two of my favorites, and I really like Maskerade too. :O Really, I'd switch the ones you listed as liking for these. Except Small Gods. Small Gods can stay.

I don't think anyone in their right minds can diss Small Gods, it's stand alone excellence. I don't know, the ones I/you mentioned just didn't amuse or interest me, hard to put a finger on why I was so unimpressed.

Actually, another odd one out is probably The Last Continent. A decent Rincewind story, but about twice as funny if you actually lived in Australia due to all the clever references.

Pyramids was a mess incidentally, however it also had the finest intro to a Pratchett book where he spends pages describing how the main character's getting garbed in assassin gear, blades blackened with lamp soot, caltrops and so on, only for him to promptly fall over. Masterful. :)

icenode fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 28, 2007

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

The opening of pyramids was loving fantastic. And then he had to go to djellibeibi :argh:.

I want an all assassins book :colbert:

Calenth
Jul 11, 2001

I don't know. I didn't feel that Making Money matched up with Going Postal. It was good, but the plot just wasn't compelling in the way that Postal's was -- it lacked tension, on a lot of levels. I felt like it had been written more to be another Moist book than because he had another compelling Moist story to tell.

I believe the Golem Standard was a reference to Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations, i.e., the doctrine that the wealth of nations comes from work, not from gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Krinkle posted:

I want an all assassins book :colbert:

The one with the tooth fairy is the most assassin-y probably, but it's pretty DEATH-y too.