Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Part of why I liked The Truth and Monstrous Regiment so much was the reminder that, from the outside, Vimes looks like a giant rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Detetsu posted:

Wasn't that at the start of Night Watch?

Yeah, she's in Night Watch.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Are Carpe Jugulum and Lords and Ladies nearly the same book, or am I hallucinating?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

gently caress you, God.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Didn't Pterry have a line about how there's no continutity errors, only multiple continuities that are slightly different, or something like that? It seems like that could well apply to questions of what is and is not canon.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

1 posted:

There's a lot of levels to Night Watch - the Unmentionables do seem to be an attack on authority acting immorally and secretly under the guise of protecting the people, and has strong parallels (whether intentional or not) with Guantanemo Bay, and the revolution is fostered by the people's fear of the authorities in power. But there's a lot of Les Miserables in there too, and parody of modern day leftism

Nothing in Night Watch is necessarily about us. Secret Police, minor uprisings, and police states are old as dirt, and Night Watch looks more like a series of references to the 1800's than to the 2000's.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Wait, the next one isn't Raising Taxes?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I think Uberwald has a fair bit of Germany in it, as well.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

So when are we getting some more Witches? My new gas station job has me plowing through the series again, and for all that Carpe Jugulum is Lords and Ladies with the serial numbers filed off, it was the last book with Granny, Nanny, Magrat, and Agnes. Any word on when a new Witches book comes out?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Night Watch?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

thebardyspoon posted:

The last king was "Lorenzo the kind" apparently, always smiling, had portraits of himself surrounded by kids. There is a certain implication in that bit of the book but i might be reading too much into the way Vimes describes him.

I'm pretty sure that's the implication that is intended.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Old-school Discworld was a lot more packed with laugh-out-loud gags, where later Discworld is more about "oh, haha, I get it" satire. It's the difference between The Colour of Magic and Going Postal.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I always try to start people on Reaper Man or Small Gods, since they're from around that era (after Mort) and more representative of his later work.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Plus, you get to see some A-M regulars through foreign eyes.

I love Monstrous Regiment and The Truth, and a big part of that is how much fun it is to see Vimes from outside his own head.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

LooseChanj posted:

I liked the former much more than the latter.

I would be tempted to agree if the former was ever funny. Rincewind still sucks, but at least he's not an empty frame upon which random jokes are hung.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I didn't like it as much as as Going Postal. It felt... unstructured.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Part of the problem is that it involves the Fool's Guild, which was never funny or interesting (at least to me), and which spoils what is otherwise my favorite Pratchett book, Men At Arms.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Yeah, everything about the Fool's Guild seemed totally laboured. Every time I come to the Fool's Guild in a book, I sigh sadly.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The early Witches books are kind of meh, but Lords and Ladies and Carpe Jugulum are both pretty good, if you can get past the fact that they're the same book. Witches Abroad is imo the best of the Witches books.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

My personal reality does not allow for the existence of a worse book than The Last Continent. The first bad Simpsons episode is the one where they go to Australia and it's 22 minutes of "AUSTRALIA LOL". The Last Continent is pretty much that in Pratchett form, and it's painful.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

You missed the joke in The Simpsons episode if you think it's just that.

It's also one of the best episodes.

Is this like where idiots say that Carlos Mencia isn't making racist jokes, he's making fun of racist jokes?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The whole reason they picked Australia to make fun of was because they felt Australians were laid back enough to find the extremely over the top jokes too absurd to be offensive. But I guess saying Australians drink a lot of beer is a racist joke :rolleyes:

Haha, chill out. I'm not saying the book and episode are racist, I'm saying they're lazy compendiums of national stereotypes. What I'm trying to imply is that you're dumb enough to make the same argument that Mencia supporters make about his lazy compendiums of racial stereotypes.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I thought Thud! suffered from the same problem as Making Money. Neither feel terribly well-structured to me. They read more like collections of events which happened than plots which escalate to a climax.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I liked Lords and Ladies much more than Carpe Jugulum, which is Lords and Ladies with vampires.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

LooseChanj posted:

Lords & Ladies was the one discworld book I really didn't like at all. Weird.

I really liked how Pratchett went back to elves the way they originally were in legends, before Tolkien convinced everybody that elves were basically just the nature-loving Master Race.

Also Psycho Battle Magrat was great.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

It's freaky that two of my favorite books are titled "Night Watch".

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Oogle Boogle posted:

The best one off in the discworld series is definitely Small Gods. Vorbis is a particularly evil character in a way that very few villains in the series have managed. I really like Going Postal and think it would have been fine as a single book as well, although it seems like Pratchett wants to keep using Moist as a character. Are there any characters who he has stopped writing about? I've not kept as up to date and don't know when Rincewind last appeared as a major character, but i've had the impression he know longer wants to write about Rincewind, probably because theres not a great deal left for him to do.

I maintain that if any Pratchett novel is ever considered to be literature worthy of study, it will be Small Gods.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

precision posted:

The only characters he has "officially retired" are the Witches, I believe. He said something to the effect of "nothing on the Disc could ever stop Esme Weatherwax, so there's no point in me trying to think up conflicts featuring her". Obviously they make cameos in the Tiffany Aching books, but as main characters they're Right Out.

Which makes me sad, especially given his next main Disc novel is about the wizards playing football. I mean, really? Unless he has some curveball planned, that sounds like something he would have done far earlier when the series was a lot more silly.

And yes, Small Gods is in fact pretty much the one Disc book everyone should read.

Wait, so the next book is Horsefeathers set in Ankh-Morpork?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

So basically a Carrot-Moist task force would be unstoppable.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Entropic posted:

Some town in Somerset is naming streets after the streets in Ankh-Morpork.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/somerset/7984118.stm
You could live on Treacle Mine Road!

"Honey, I was coming home from the grocery and there's a new sign at the entrance to our neighborhood."
"Oh, yes, I saw! The Shades! Sounds classy, doesn't it?"

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Tamsin Greig was good as Lamia in Neverwhere.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Hey, nice title and label change.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Small Gods is so good that Pratchett gets happy fanmail from people from pretty much every religious and nonreligious persuasion. It's got strong characters, a good plot, and lots of interesting ideas. If you only ever read one Discworld book, it should probably be Small Gods.

(Though reading Small Gods has, in my experience, the effect of causing a person to read more Discworld books.)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Konstantin posted:

Going Postal is another good starter book. The only major character from earlier books is Vetinari and he is introduced very well. It gives a good view about how things work on the Disc, and all the characters are very fleshed out. I think it's the best Discworld book to date.

Absolutely seconded. Making Money didn't really live up to it, though.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I'd take all of those over the American covers though.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

e: nevermind.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

It's also possible that Vetinari is preparing the City to not need a single ruler.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

magimix posted:

I tend to take the position that Vetinari is definitely 'grooming' Moist for eventual leadership (or at least ever more significant roles in the governance of city affairs), as Moist exemplifies many of the skills that the city needs from its leaders (the ability to deceive and manipulate people either without them realising, or inducing them to accept this manipulation in good humour) with the *added* bonus that Moist may be a genuinely popular figure, whereas Vetinari is mostly tolerated or feared (albeit respected as well).

Vetinari, being a genuinely dedicated servant of the city, would absolutely make sure he was replaced at the right time, by the right person, if it were good for the city.

It really does feel like a 'new age' is dawning for the city[1]; its various institutions are becoming more influential not just inside the city limits, but beyond as well. The Watch is respected and copied by other communities. The Post Office will continue to extend its reach. 'The City' (through Vetinari, or his representatives) has been taking a more explicitly clear role in the affairs of other cities and nations. And much more besides.

While I won't go so far as to claim Pratchett has an 'arc' planned out for the city, I don't think anyone could credibly deny that he's been developing the city at least as strongly as his core characters.

[1] Seriously. AM is such a key feature in recent books, and Pratchett has been pretty consistent in the way that things are developing. Stuff that happens in one book remain also in following books.

I'm reasonably certain that Pratchett himself has denied that Vetinari is grooming Moist for the Patricianship, but I cannot find a citation for that.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Why even give that bigoted, racist piece of poo poo the time of day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

You know what's evil? Allowing people who are in pain that will never end until they are dead to seek relief from that pain. Not forcing people who will never in life know any release from agony and loss of dignity- that is, of course- ah, nah, I can't even say it sarcastically without hating myself. This guy's an evil jerk and doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same thread as Terry Pratchett.