Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Paperbacks in the US generally come out 6 months to a year following the hardcover.

I believe they come out sooner in Europe though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Mukaikubo posted:

Received and finished Making Money last night.

One-Sentence Review: Moist is a very interesting character and Making Money is another book with the same rough narrative structure as Going Postal, and the result is a book almost as good as Going Postal.

More in depth complaint about the plot, light-moderate spoilers:

It's not quite as good as Going Postal, in my opinion, but only because the villain isn't as interesting as Reacher Gilt. Cosmo Lavish is insane. I mean, even by the relaxed standards of Discworld the man is utterly binkers. As a result, it never feels quite so threatening as the conflict in Going Postal- there's no equivalent to the excellent Restaurant Reservation scene in GP, for example. However, it is extremely interesting that both Moist books so far have had main villains trying to become Patrician...

There is an extremely funny set of scenes in the book. They involve clockwork toys. "Toys", as in, "Toys" you may possibly find in a shop of ill-repute. I am desperately attempting to describe this circumspectly.

I don't know, many of the Ankh Morpork books have had villains trying to replace the patrician. I would also definitely agree that it didn't feel like there was much of a threat. Yes, like Nobby said you just know Moist is going to win, but it seems like instead of one large enemy he's faced with a host of small problems and he just bulldozes through them with verve and elan with hardly any threat to himself.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Nilbop posted:

Allright what was the maggot-reversal then? I can't remember that at all.

The call center selling double glazing that Hastur wiped out when he escaped the ansaphone. On Saturday(after the apocalypse) Newt receives a call from the named character there.