Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Especially the watch series.

I'm almost finished with reading Thud and I have to say it's excellent. It's well paced, the story and the characters are intriguing. Vimes' struggles and reactions to things are particularly great and also the whole exploration of dwarven culture and the deep down dwarves. In retrospect, I feel that the writing is way better than in his early Discworld books. It has less bru-ha-ha funny funny jokes now but a generally better writing style.

I feel that's good because some of the jokes were starting to get repetitive and it seems that now he's being humorous by setting up funny situations and characters instead of using so many punchlines. Don't get me wrong, the punchlines were great, they just got a bit repetitive and this is a nice refreshment.

I thought a Discworld novel couldn't get better than Jingo, which was exceptionally good, but Night Watch and Thud have proved me wrong.

Comparing his later works with stuff like Equal Rites, The Colour of Magic, The Light Fantastic, etc. you gotta hand it to the man for not only evolving his style but improving it on the whole.
Anyone got any synonyms for 'evolving' and 'improving' by the way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Nilbop: Yeah, I fully agree on what you wrote. I think most Discworld fans were happy to see him switch to a more grittier Discworld, as was he himself.

Mr. SM Holocaust: Hmm, I kind of disagree with your view on Vimes. I think the character is really well fleshed out and Terry wants to (especially in the latter books) point out the conflict between the cop and the man in Vimes and does it quite well. I think Vimes is really the best and most complex character in all of the books.

The only thing I don't like is where he's taken Carrot. He started out as a very naive, straight, simple but good dwarf stuck in a human's body but lately he's become too much of a know-it-all and the thing about everyone liking him and instantly doing what he says is exaggerated and doesn't come off right.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

kizeesh posted:

Nightwatch is definitely his best book in broader terms, I think. It's the only one I actually felt moved by.
Yeah at the end when Vimes catches Carcer in the future and tells him about the stars shining more on his son because they won't be shining on Carcer (or something like that), that's really touching.
Night Watch was generally very excellent and I consider it to be his best book too. Jingo, Night Watch and Thud are the (watch) books that I enjoyed the most. Jingo was very laugh out loud funny and had a good story and some stealth philosophy to boot. Although Guards Guards is a classic.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Yeah, I didn't really like Monstrous Regiment too much. I did like the military setting, the wars and all, and I think he should do more stuff about war and such, but the book would have been a thousand times better if it was just Polly who was the chick and not loving EVERYONE. I wasn't familiar with that Scot John Knox thing when reading it, but even if I was, I still think it was a stupid choice.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I tought it was okay when Wazzer, Tonker and a few of those guys turned out to be women, it fitted and made sense because they were little girly boys anyway, but Maladict, Jackrum and those officers, it felt really off. I think the fact that pretty much EVERYONE (except for Blouse) turned out to be a woman added nothing to the story or the message, it just made things strange.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Jeedan posted:

I think thats wnat makes Carrot a lot less interesting character these days than he was at the beginning, the natural progression for his character would be for Angua to leave or the Patrician to die but Terrys reluctant to make big changes to the world, so the character just stagnates.
Yeah.
I think one of the reasons we're all fond of Vimes is that his character has actually progressed. He went from being a drunk nobody to a very successful man, got a wife, a child and he turned the watch from nothing to one of the most important things in the city.
Carrot, however, came to the watch, he quickly became captain and at about that time he changed from the naive dwarf to a everyone-likes-him-and-he-can-do-no-wrong character, and that's it.
Nobby and Colon haven't progressed, but they're kind of hard to take anywhere and I kind of like them the way they are.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Enfenestrate posted:

I hope that the Vetinari doesn't die, he's one of my favorite characters :(
You can say that again.

Enfenestrate posted:

I hope that the Vetinari doesn't die, he's one of my favorite characters :(

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I think Jingo is one of the best ones. I think it has all the good funny har har from his early books combined with the more intricate nature of his latter works.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

An all assassin book would be really nice. But if you want a real assassin (not pteppic, who doesn't have the heart to kill a person), they have to kill innocent (well, technically) people in cold blood and from how I understand Pratchett, he doesn't do that with the protagonists.
It would really rock to have some kind of anti-hero.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Nilbop posted:

HERE IS YOUR loving COW
haha lmao

Anyway, I sort of dislike Carrot. He was cool in the first book but then he just became some sort of Ankh-Morpork god and I think Pratchett goes overboard with everyone instantly liking him, doing as he says, blah blah, it's kind of boring.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

What taxes book?

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

poo poo. That's the worst disease ever.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

EvilUrchin posted:

The Last Hero is non-canon? That's news to me.

Anyway, Carpe Jugulum was actually the only Witches book I liked at all, and that was mostly because I liked the way the vampires were treated in it. I tried some of the others and almost immediately lost interest in all the characters and went back to rereading a Watch or Death book. Its almost as if something in my brain just shuts down whenever I see the word "Weatherwax" and sends me off to do something else.
Yeah me too. Just something about the characters or the settings that turns me off. I've given up on finishing Equal Rites and Witches Abroad but I found Wyrd Sisters to be okay if not all that great. But Witches Abroad I just plain don't like. I don't like the witches, I don't like fairytales.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Er, I'm not sure if I understand you but your post seems to imply that Making Money isn't out yet. Well it is, I read it and everything.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Oh, that must be a US thing then or something? I have this paperback version.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I think his name comes from the story that he had a guest visiting him who was really rude and abused Ahmed's hospitality. It's Klatchian custom that you must house a guest and make him feel welcome for 72 hours, however Ahmed killed him on his 71st hour of stay instead of waiting for one more hour. Something along those lines, I think.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Jingo is one of my favourites as well, mainly because it's just so funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Why do the wizards have to pay taxes though? I thought that the guilds and the royal families haven't paid any taxes in a very, very long time.