Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
I've been going through my PTerry shelf in chronological order after finishing the biography, and the little throwaway lines like that are such absolute treasures right from the start. He was a master at the hidden gem along with the in-your -face joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Did Kickstarter ever walk back their Blockchain bullshit?

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Myok posted:

According to an article from the end of June, yes, they walked it back. They haven't sworn off it but claim they have no plan to move Kickstarter to it at this time.

Thanks! That's nice to hear, though there does still seem some breathing about the bush instead of just dropping the stupid idea. Still, looks like it was mostly the ex-ceo being a weirdo. Good to know I can look at stuff on there again.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of, I just hit Small Gods again on my reread binge, and man, it is just so loving good. As far as I'm concerned, it's the best of his Discworld books in terms of having something to say, and saying it well, without shying away from difficulty. It really showed to me how he was much, much more than a comedic writer. I think only Nation comes close for me out of his other books.

What a writer, what a guy (and what a weird fellow, after reading his biography. It made me check how often people thank each other in his books. Not that often!

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

Rob mentions that Pterry started the writing and he only finished it. So it's a co-authored book.

"Only" is misleading imo. Not nice to try to erase the quality of Rob's work (either of you or himself).

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Small Gods is the best of the Discworld books so why not start with a bang (of a turtle hitting something from a great height)?

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Strange Cares posted:

I love Pyramids, but I think best standalone introduction has to go to Small Gods, which is kind of Pyramids but done much better. That said, you don't really get to see Ankh-Morpork at all in Small Gods, which is pretty vital to understanding what the series is going to be like on the whole.

Small Gods is my favourite book of his without qualifications, barring perhaps Nation. That said, it is extremely not the first Discworld book I'd recommend people since it is almost entirely isolated from any of the other books. Mort is actually the point I tell people to start since it's the first really character-building book. If Death and his apprentice don't get you into the series I think nothing will.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Trin Tragula posted:

If you'd given me Mort first, I would have just bounced off it; but whoever introduced me to Discworld made the perfect call with Jingo.

Haha, wow. That's probably my third-least favourite in the entire (after Moving Pictures and Interesting Times). Goes to show I guess.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

sebmojo posted:

yeah, the only difference is they have chapters really.

Along with Going Postal for some obscure reason.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Beer_Suitcase posted:

When do the clacks towers show up? It seems around Carpe Jugulum they begin to be mentioned more heavily but without much explanation.

https://wiki.lspace.org/Clacks

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Welp, I've arrived at Unseen Academicals on my series re-read :smith:

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DontMockMySmock posted:

I just finally finished Unseen Academicals and it's got a lot of good and cool parts but also lots of parts that overstay their welcome. It's hard to even say why it's bad; it's not, really, it just seems that way after a long string of amazing books from the prime of Discworld. Nutt and Glenda are good characters.

Also I find it funny that in a book ostensibly about association football, only half a football game is actually depicted.

Things I strongly dislike about it:
- The total assassination of Vetinari's character as a cool and collected behind-the-scenes person (and Lady Margolotta along with him) in favour of a weird monologuer. A completely different character.
- The mythologising of the football crowd, which, if you want to be fair, does fit the belief->power thing of Discworld but is too close to Roundworld stuff to be comfortable for me
- In general the trend of shoehorning Roundworld things into Discworld even when they don't particularly fit. It's the same reason I don't get on with the Moist books, even though they're less bad about it. Going Postal in particular is pretty nonsensical in this respect, but the scathing takedown of neoliberal privatisation makes me forgive it.
- Just the utter pointlessness of anything happening here except with Nutt/Glenda

There's still plenty to love as well (I'm always happy when the wizards figure as anything more than bit characters, and I like Dr. Hicks a lot), but this book is really were things were going completely off the rails in PTerry's condition and it shows.

Currently halfway through Snuff which suffers from some similar problems but at least it's found a mostly-new setting to do things in so it's less offensive about the discrepancies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gnome de plume posted:

That's a pretty good Discworld name, it's also a fabric company so I imagine you'd get good mileage out of it for jokes.

Oh yeah, that's the one where the guy made a list or something