Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

i'm so glad to have made such an interesting new friend
I really hope Pratchett will go back to Death/Susan soon. I'm rather curious as to what happened to Lobsang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

Good Omens is a good introduction both to Pratchett and Gaiman. Personally, I find it the best out of all their work. It lacks Pratchett's often OTT silliness and Gaiman's "everyone dies, the end" attitude.

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

I'm still holding out for a Susan/Lobsang/Death book. :colbert:

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

Re: reading order. I started off with Hogfather and read that a couple of times, before starting on others, completely out of order. It was influenced entirely by what my local library had at the time and how motivated I was to go to a non-local library to get the rest.

I think I accidentally read a couple of books in the Watch storyline in order, but that's it. I read completely haphazardly and then strung together the timeline in my head (I do remember that I read The Last Continent before Interesting Times).

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

BexGu posted:

Which could happen, depending on how you read the last part of Thief of Time.

Was that perfect movement Lobsang surprise kissing Susan? It was already implied that Susan can't have a relationship with any one completely mortal so another humanized aspect would work out for her.

That is exactly how I read it and thus I look forward to seeing how the relationship develops. I'm also curious what the offspring of Death and Time would be like (apart from somewhat of a logical contradiction).

Plus, Death is one of my favourite characters.

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

Oh man. According to the Wikipedia list of Discworld novels, Thief of Time was number 26. We're at number 36 now. It really doesn't look like Pratchett is going back to Death/Susan.

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

Interesting. I'm looking forward to it!

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

Pratchett has a pretty good idea of the shelf-life of his characters, hence him retiring Rincewind and semi-retiring the Witches.

However, if he never writes one last Watch or Death/Susan book, he'll have made a grave mistake. Sally and Lobsang have enough potential for at least one more book. (Well, Lobsang does for sure, Sally gets a bit overshadowed by Otto.)

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

Today, I found out what the Scone of Stone refers to. Apparently, there is a thing called the Stone of Scone, on which Scotland's kings were crowned. I laughed very hard at that, much to the bemusement of my classmates.

Regarding Thud! putting people in mind of the London Subway bombing: Fifth Elephant struck pretty close to home for me. Pratchett captured the atmosphere of the former Soviet Bloc pretty well. I love how spot-on he can be about political issues.

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

It's likely to be Fáil. I've seen that word before around here.

I enjoyed the first Science of Discworld novel, but I hesitate to get the next two. Pop science books that involve physics tend to depress me since they inevitably start discussing the end of the universe.

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

The first one, I think, brushes on the topic. I remember reading it and thinking "oh god, here we go again with the Big Freeze". It was very enjoyable otherwise.

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

gently caress.

I guess we all have to go sometime, but Alzheimer's is an ugly way to go. :(

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

I always thought Rincewind was in his early twenties in the earlier books and late twenties/mid thirties by the later books. I have trouble imagining him as an old man.

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

This has been brought up before - it's obvious that Pratchett is aware of the shelf life of his characters. He semi-retired the Witches and totally retired the Wizards and Rincewind. I think he's preparing to do the same with the Watch (Vimes fixed his life and more or less cleared the family name and honour, so I assume his arc is coming to an end).

I think it's a good thing. We haven't had time to grow tired of the characters.

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

He's currently locked up in the office of the Professor of Cruel and Unusual Geography, studying ... something.

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

Ah. I forgot about Unseen Academicals.

I'm pretty sure the Science of Discworld books are not strictly canon, though.

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

Uberwald is Eastern Europe, in particular the USSR/former USSR.

At least, that's what I got from Fifth Elephant.

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

Actually, Ahmed is a policeman, his guest was a criminal who had poisoned the sole well of a village. Ahmed killed him as soon as he found out, without waiting for the 72 hours to expire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weavernaut
Sep 12, 2007

Nilbop posted:

Actually, Ahmed amasses quite a bit of evidence before the deed, including interviewing the guy who sold him the poison, and a witness who saw the poisoner poison the poisonees. He did kill him one hour early though, taking advantage of the fact that all Klatchians knew D'regs were anal about that stuff.

Why are we spoilering this?

Aha. I knew I was forgetting something. Been a while since I read it.

And I'm just being on the safe side here.