Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Oh poo poo more Pratchett I thought it wasn't out for another month where is my goddam wallet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Goddamit, the local shipments of Unseen Academicals have been delayed or something; Amazon won't ship until November and the bookstores wont have the books for two weeks or so. :emo:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Exasperated Badger posted:

UA is great. Much better than all the other Wizard books. And it's like a love letter to Ankh-Morpork. Cameos by SO MANY people.

What's up with Ridcully's background? He's previously been described as coming from a fine old wizarding family with country estates. Then in UA there's an offhand mention of his dad being a butcher, not a wizard.

History monks. :colbert:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Well, it's hardly a Watch book without Vimes Going Spare on someone.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

inklesspen posted:

Vimes'd go spare.

It's astounding how much power that phrase has in Ankh-Morpork.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

SeanBeansShako posted:

Well, Rincewind has a little more 'krisma.

I thought it was well established in Feet of Clay that Nobby had "Charisntma"

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Carpe Jugulum loses something when it's the first Witches book read- it's harder to appreciate the how the characters and dynamics have changed without the earlier books to build on. I didn't much care for it myself until I read up on the other ones.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Night Watch is loving glorious.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
That dwarf was Cuddy, I believe

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think you mean especially if it's a fantasy version with rock monsters

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The Truth and Thief of Time are both still Josh Kirby; Paul Kidby's cover art doesn't start until after.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It's worth it, though. When you look into your bookshelf and see 30+ novels of Discworld you feel like a king or a duke or something.

After that you basically become a literary drug dealer. I keep re-buying Pratchetts because I'll lend one out and never see it again, or I read it so much the first 20 pages fell out

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Isn't he just universally terrible at magic?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Lugubrious posted:

Care to share for those of us who are filthy Americans cursed with owning lovely paperback copies with awful cover art?

The cover has a candle.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I tried some of the Discworld BBC radio plays once, but I felt I was missing a lot without a lot of the narrative and internal dialogue. How do Audiobooks compare?

(I've read everything up to I Shall Wear Midnight by now, I just like having something in my MP3 player for listening on the bus)

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
People can enjoy both, maybe? I do in fact read a great deal, but as a pedestrian I am frequently walking places, or taking a bus or train. For those times I like to have a wide variety of audio on me, and a few hours of podcasts or something. I've never listened to an audiobook, I thought it might be an interesting change of pace. That and I gave up walking with books after the third time I walked into a stop sign.

Also, I believe Pratchett once said that the primary difference between his 'normal' books and his Young Adult books is that the Young Adult books have to have chapters.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Hedrigall posted:

Just finished Small Gods and loved it. :3:

Didn't really understand why Brutha died exactly 100 years after leaving the desert but oh well.

Because he was old

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm pretty sure Sam Vimes would accept Godhood only for the length of time necessary to go to Cor Celesti and arrest the lot.

...Holy poo poo I'd read that.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Vimes and Weatherwax would never have a direct confrontation, if only because Nanny Ogg, Captain Carrot, and probably Vetinari would be doing absolutely everything in their power to prevent such a meeting.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Why does Canada get all the Discworld books a month later than the US does? Do they have to put all of the 'ou's back in or something? I'm dying over here man, I need my Pterry fix.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Screw it, I'm importing the US edition. It'll get here tomorrow.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I wasn't going to get it until December. In that time I can fix all the spelling myself.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The first Discworld novel I ever read was Going Postal, via the public library. The second Discworld novel was all of them, in a year-long reading binge.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
God, yes. Thief of Time probably cracks the top five for me.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Frankly, I'd read the hell out of a book with a Jackrum/Vimes teamup.

e: wait I'm dumb, is that a joke about Wilikin's characterization? :saddowns:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think it's Hersheba = Hershey bar?

Djelibeybi took me a while the first time too.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Yeah, he said it in The Art of Discworld.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

field balm posted:

Awesome, I will grab NW this afternoon. Thanks!

There's a few other books in-between Men at Arms and Night Watch that have Vimes in them, you may want to check them out too. Feet of Clay, Jingo, and The Fifth Elephant. Everyone loves Night Watch so much that I think they forget how awesome all the other ones are, too.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Feet of Clay is one of my favourites, but I was never all that hot on Jingo. :)

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I don't know, I felt like a lot of Jingo just went over my head, the way Wyrd Sisters makes more sense after you've read Macbeth and Hamlet, and Unseen Academicals with soccer. Apparently Jingo made a lot of references to the Gulf War and the JFK assassination? I never learned much past Canadian History back in high school, so I'm working on it.

(Also Feet of Clay is before Jingo)

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

rejutka posted:

the Venturi and Selachii

Holy poo poo :aaa:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

bunnyofdoom posted:

Here's something extremely nerdy. Has anyone calculated the exchange rate between AM$ and say US or CAN $? I mean, I know a Watchman Captain gets $30 a month in Salary, and a good pair of boots costs $5, but I have no idea how much that ends up being relative to my paycheck etc.

People have been very thorough in gathering various financial references in Discworld. I haven't found any 'actual' conversion rates but I think something like this at least gives a decent guideline.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Hedrigall posted:

Preordering is often the worst thing. The amount of times I've preordered a book only to then stare jealously at it in bookstores while I wait a week or more for it to come in the mail... :sigh:

I tried preordering it as an E-book for the first time, and it actually worked out pretty well. The US and Canadian hardcovers aren't out yet, whereas overseas shipping from the UK is heinously expensive and would still take six days or so. Instead this morning I got an email that said 'hey you got a book' and it magically appeared on my Kobo.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I started at Going Postal, I saw it at the local library and the description sounded interesting. One of the best drat book decisions in my life.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Vermine is just a pun on vermin and ermine, an animal often used in fur coats. If you mean Octarine, it's a colour that literally does not exist and can't be seen by (non-wizard) human eyes.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think it was Windle Poons and the Differently Alive support group.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I love Feet of Clay to little pieces, you guys seriously didn't care for it?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Pope Guilty posted:

Vimes'll go spare.

ARREST THE GODS :black101:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Both answers are correct. While Small Gods happens between Witches Abroad and Lords and Ladies, it also takes place 100 years ago. It's like that shop from Soul Music. It's always been there, but it hasn't always been there yesterday. Also I figure this is why we had a whole book about History Monks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Sometimes I wonder how many Discworld injokes and references I've missed by not being from England.