Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

iajanus posted:

I was moving all my books into my new shelves and I remembered I lent my copy of Men At Arms to a friend a decade ago and never got it back :argh:

My OCD!

I'm impressed that you have all the Josh Kirby covers. Those are getting increasingly hard to find in my area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Are there any Pratchett copy-cats that are worth even looking into? I wouldn't mind a humorous fairy tale type of book every now and then and since Disney hasn't yet bought the rights to Discworld I guess there's no more of that coming.

You would probably enjoy Tom Holt's earlier works (I say this because I haven't read his stuff that's come out in the last 12 years so I can't say if he's still doing good work). His books up through Nothing But Blue Skies (2001) deal with retelling, reimagining or extending classic fables including the Flying Dutchman, wish-granting lakes, and Faust. I read them when I was in high school, so huge grain of salt, they might be poo poo because the taste centers of teens are still developing, but I remember them being a cut above most other fantasy humorists (who, with very few exceptions, tend to be lovely WHAT IF LORD OF THE RINGS BUT PUNS).

Everything since then I think has been in one of two series based around either office workers in a sorcery office or magic donuts (really). I tried to crack one of them open a while ago but they were interminable.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Jedit posted:

Everyone should read one Tom Holt book, and exactly one Tom Holt book because they're all exactly the same. I was shocked when it turned out he was K.J. Parker.

Who's Afraid of Beowulf? would be my recommendation.

I was shocked as I read this and then I thought about it. Under both names he is weirdly focused on bureaucracies. But drat, Sharps is so much better than Expecting Someone Taller.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ChubbyChecker posted:

there's some entertainment in watching bad movies with friends, but there's nothing to gain from reading bad books, which the last ones were

So, putting aside my feelings on the later discworld novels, I disagree with the premise that there's nothing to be gained from reading bad books. I've had a blast reading, for example, some of the worse Star Wars EU novels. A really bad book can be as fun as a terrible movie, for the same reasons. Even a mediocre book can have it's place when you need something comforting and unchallenging. I read the bounty hunter trilogy after my father-in-law died because I needed something predictable and just engaging enough to keep my mind off of things.

Now, as far as the later Pratchett books go, there's a lot that I like about them, even while I agree that his best stuff came before them. I sincerely believe they're worth reading. Even if they aren't as polished as the rest of the series, the hearts of the characters still feel like they're there to me.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

I'm a little disappointed to find that I can't remember my first discworld novel. I've been reading them so long, and from such a young age that they've just been a constant backbeat to my life. I do remember that I read them all out of order when I did, not understanding how things linked up until one day it all sort of assembled in my head.

I think my brother or maybe my dad had copies of some of the books, and I picked them up because I was one of those kids who was always reading, and moreover, was always looking for new fantasy stuff. I must have been maybe 8 or 9? I remember finding copies of Only You Can Save Mankind and Diggers in our basement, too. At some point I started actively hunting for them in bookshops, especially if they had the UK covers. I think that Thief of TIme was the first one that I bought when it came out, and I remember being blown away by it.

I was also a member of the Carrot Ironfoundersson fan club. I remember thinking how cool it was that a person could inspire others around them to be better just by believing they were good people. My schoolfriends who also read the books thought I was an idiot not to like the grittier characters and to think that way. But I'm glad that I did, honestly. I think it made me a better person, in some ways.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Bruceski posted:

He had a knack for collecting trivia. My favorite is the Selachiis and Venturis as old feuding families. Once I learned about the Venturi effect in fluid dynamics it led to some frantic googling to get the rest of the joke.

I just went down this google hole and god drat it Terry.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Cardiac posted:

The trucker trilogy was the only books I hadn’t read by Pratchett and reading them after Shepherds felt like coming full circle.
Still great after all these years.

Oh dang thanks for reminding me that the Bromeliad exists! I only ever read Diggers when I was a kid, I'm genuinely excited to get to read Pratchett I haven't read before.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

Maybe I missed this somewhere up thread but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPeVsniB7b0

The clacks is real.

If you're into this, I'd definitely recommend checking out The Victorian Internet by Tom Standage.
I read it after Going Postal made me wonder if the clacks were based in reality and it's a really fun microhistory all about the telegraph, including the old visual telegraph the clacks are based on.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Dave Syndrome posted:

Yeah, there's a story about how he allegedly plotted a sequel with PTerry and they never got around to doing it, but... eeeh... Look, I certainly don't want to call the man a liar. I love most of the stuff Neil has done, I'm a huge Sandman fan, but right now some part of me can't help thinking about Neil's quote that an author is someone who tells lies for a living.

Also, I wasn't a huge fan of the Good Omens TV adaption.

EDIT: Here's the story: https://journal.neilgaiman.com/2021/06/really-bloody-excellent-omens.html

I remember when I was a precocious 13 year old at a Coraline reading, Neil telling me, personally, when I asked him about precisely this that they'd never do a sequel to Good Omens because he and PTerry wrote it together to make each other laugh before they got big, and they couldn't go back to it now because then they would be doing it for the money, not the joy of it.

Still, Rhianna's involved and so is John Finnemore, who can bring humor in a way that Neil isn't really capable of, so it might be good. Heck, it might even be great. But in my gut of guts I am against it

Strange Cares fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 29, 2021

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Imagined posted:

Well without any decent film adaptations, corporate promotion, merchandising, or the appropriate-for-kids reputation of Harry Potter, it's sadly hard to see where new Discworld fans are going to come from. And if new fans are adults, they're probably going to buy the books on Kindle instead of collecting 40-odd dead tree editions. It would be nice to see them get the deluxe collector edition hardcover treatment for the old grogs though.

I mean, I buy new copies when my old ones fall apart, but I do tend to try and hunt down the old Corgi Press ones with the Josh Kirby illustrations, because the current trend towards minimalist cover design leaves me totally cold. Give me weird maximalist fantasy scenes with people who look like they're made of old rope, dammit! :bahgawd:

Strange Cares fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Dec 3, 2021

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Total Meatlove posted:

Pyramids talks a lot about the institutionalisation of horror ...

Sorry to be a dunce, but what does this mean?

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

yaffle posted:

You get to own the idea of the sausage, it's essential sausageness, if you will. The priests of offler get a sausage sandwich.

How did I only just now realize that the reason that Offler gets sausage offerings is because of the crocodile in Punch and Judy shows?

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Dirty Frank posted:

:aaa: I mean really Pratchett never had a single original thought, its references all the way down!!!

Oh I don’t know about that, but I do admire that he was unashamed to draw from whatever joke or reference that he liked. For whatever reason seeing that quotation today really made the crocodile/sausages thing connect for me.

Strange Cares fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 24, 2022

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Dirty Frank posted:

I don't think it either, I was goofing around and hoping the multiple exclamation points would point to a diseased mind ;)

Ah, I took it as sincere. Clearly I’ve been posting too much outside of the SA ecosystem.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

I still cling to my Corgi editions, but these look better than most of the new redesigns. Who knows, they might even appeal to new readers!

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

I've said it before and I'll say it again - don't hire film actors to do voice acting.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Devorum posted:

I don't know, I've got several audiobooks read by film actors that are very good.

They'd be better if they were read by voice actors

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ChubbyChecker posted:

you just need good actors

Exactly. Voice actors are better at voice acting, so hire them instead.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

There's a bit about the thieves guild in Thief of Time, but I wouldn't really call it a thieves guild novel.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

GodFish posted:

That just made me think of CMOT Dibbler trying to sell non-fungible tokens. All his apes gone.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

I guarantee it stole most of that from AO3

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Did anyone else ever wonder what Rincewind's Spell would have done if he'd cast it before he was supposed to?

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

mllaneza posted:

Witches Abroad doesn't get enough love. I particularly enjoyed the "this one" answer.

"What can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the reaper man?" still gets me every time. I'm tearing up a little bit right now.

I just finished re-reading Reaper man last week and I burst into tears at the end. Really hits you different when you understand your own mortality.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Arbite posted:

I'd still call it the best standalone introduction to the series. It's got immediate hilarity (especially if you've ever taken a driving exam), a monstrous villain with surprising depth, recognizable points from history, the camels...

I love Pyramids, but I think best standalone introduction has to go to Small Gods, which is kind of Pyramids but done much better. That said, you don't really get to see Ankh-Morpork at all in Small Gods, which is pretty vital to understanding what the series is going to be like on the whole.

Strange Cares fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 25, 2024

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

What's the general consensus on Eric? I never see anyone so much as mention it.

YggiDee posted:

Eric is a weird book, it's like barely half the length of all the others and I think the illustrated version is the original version.

Yeah it's really written to be read with full illustrations, there's a lot of details that are referred to in the text or that are glossed over in the plot because Terry assumes that you're looking at the pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

I’d love if they got Paul Kidby to do a new illustrated Eric.

Don't get me wrong, Kidby is great, but I don't feel like he has the Heironymous Bosch-brain urge that Kirby did to fill every last inch with the greasy little guys that any vision of Hell deserves.