Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Phenotype posted:

It's been a while since I've read it, but I think his name was actually Crawly for a while.

Yeah, his name used to be Crawly because if I recall correctly he was the snake from Eden? And he changed it to Crowley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Screaming Idiot posted:

There will never be a good adaptation of Pratchett's work and I would be pleased if they stopped trying.

If they really cared, it would be a "thriller with rocks in it." And Cheery Littlebottom is absolutely binary -- she is female, and proud of it!

Hogfather is good.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Screaming Idiot posted:

Or, and hear me out, they could stop trying to adapt works that are completely unadaptable because they either cut everything out or change it to be enjoyed by dumber audiences or both.

Let Discword die with Pterry, please. We have the books. They're enough.

Adaptations being made won't retroactively make the books worse you know. Either we'll get garbage that you can just y'know, not watch, or we'll get something good.

Like Hogfather.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

You are getting extremely angry about things that are not happening.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Bilirubin posted:

At what point can I read Night Watch? Last time ITT I was told basically "read all of Discworld first" but nobody got time for that

If you want to read Night Watch (and you should, it's my favourite Discworld book), here's the sequence I'd go through:

Guards! Guards!
Men At Arms
Feet of Clay
Jingo (optional, it's a City Watch novel and has some interesting stuff but I didn't find it as memorable as the others or as necessary for characterisation)
The Fifth Elephant
Night Watch

Someone mentioned Thief of Time and that is also one of my favourites and might improve your enjoyment due to it introducing a relevant group of characters, but that also has a lot of lead-in for a couple of main characters, Death and Susan Sto-Helit. If you want their whole deal, you'd need to read:

Mort
Reaper Man (one of Pratchett's best, a must-read in general imo)
Soul Music
Hogfather
Thief of Time

tl;dr: Definitely read the City Watch books to understand the characters of Vimes & co, but IMO read the Death books too because a) Thief of Time will help with Night Watch b) The Death books loving own

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

e X posted:

The Fifth Elephant is easily the best watch book.

I mean, there is Nightwatch of course, but that is a different beast entirely.

Thud! though

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Snow Cone Capone posted:

"Vetinari does a fakeout" has happened a million times though. He knew the whole time there was arsenic in the candles, didn't he?

It definitely seems like the later books were grooming Sam as the begrudging-but-necessary leader of the "new" AM, as well as emphasizing more and more that Vetinari was getting old and frail as hell.

I figured that he was grooming Moist von Lipvig as his own replacement.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I reread Wintersmith every so often. It's a real good book.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Reaper Man, Hogfather and Thief of Time are all extremely excellent books. Soul Music is solid, but you should definitely read it if you want to get into Death stuff because it introduces his granddaughter.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Are you really trying to say things like "change results in conflict" and "the protagonist is instrumental in resolving things" are derivative?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Carrot doesn't have any divine powers, he's just that nice.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Phenotype posted:

His orders from Colon were "if he gives you any trouble, you just leave, okay?" so Carrot was just being very honest, as usual. If Whiteface didn't do what Carrot said, Carrot was going to carry out his orders and leave. And he wouldn't like it and he'd be ashamed of it, but he'd do it.

I love that bit too. :)

I love how Colon's internal monologue describes it too. Something about having seen people bluff with bad hands before, but he'd never seen someone bluff with no cards.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Shoehead posted:

It seems far enough removed from Discworld that I can ignore it angst free tbh.

Although I should add I've hated every Pratchett adaptation asides from the games

Hogfather was very good.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

While I don't have high expectations for this, I also had very low expectations for the Witcher so I'm willing to be proven wrong.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I like how over time, Bloody Stupid Johnson went from making things with extremely dumb proportions (the ho-ho, the Ankh-Morpork landmarks) to feats of incredible engineering (the Unseen University private bathroom) to bending the fabric of reality (Empirical Crescent, The New Pie).

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Somehow got a character arc despite not once physically appearing in the books.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I feel like the recent Netflix movie Klaus had an animation style that Discworld would slot very nicely into.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Announce it with a male cast, have the actual female cast made up to look like the fake male cast.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Shepherd's Crown is good though?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Jaguars! posted:

Fair enough, and also Thief of Time which is still my first and favourite.

:yeah:

Thief of Time and Night Watch are probably his two finest.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The_Doctor posted:

Detritus looks good.

Still lmaoing at young skinny hot vigilante Sybil Ramkin.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Yeah I will say that Vimes and Carrot look excellent (aside from the lack of breastplates)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I imagined her with wavy hair too, that doesn't conflict with her being blonde.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Sloth Life posted:

I like Sheen but he's got this raging 'mental about to snap' to 'staggeringly fey' kind of energy. Would have made a good Coin from Sourcery, or Albert maybe.

Greg Davies (sodding big n broad, comic actor) would be my bet for the Archchancellor. Or Clive Mantle, also generously proportioned.

Patricia Routledge as Granny Weatherwax? Yay? Nay?

Pam St Clements as Nanny Ogg, basically EastEnders anyway.

I only know Greg Davies from the Taskmaster game show but that's enough to say that you are absolutely right.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Bruceski posted:

Alex Horne as the Bursar then.

:hmmyes:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The Truth and Monstrous Regiment have the cool feature of having Vimes as seen by someone who is not part of the Watch.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Sarern posted:

I'm not disputing your description of events but I do not see those events the same way.

I do not see a lot of daylight between "cop getting pissy and withdrawing protection from a public figure whom criminals are actively trying to whack" and "setting a public figure up to be whacked". It reminds me too much of the bullshit cops get up to in real life. If you want to stick to fiction, it is similar to what Captain McCluskey does during Vito's hospitalization in the Godfather, except in Pratchett's case, without the conspiracy with a Sollozzo figure. Maybe the lack of that conspiracy means a lot to some readers, but I find it small comfort.

Yes, Vimes didn't hire the murderers, but he knew someone was out there, and said "gently caress it" anyway. There's some daylight between the two, sure, if that's the difference you want to split, but for me the two are close enough that I was never able to buy the pro-cop direction the watch stories seemed to go after that.

After all the watch novels I'm still unsure if Pratchett was ambivalent about the morality of his supercop and if so, to what extent. I'd love to hear other readers' readings of the arc of the Watch novels.

De Worde assaulted the officer assigned to protect him.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Xander77 posted:

I think we may be thinking about different writers?

I'm talking about Terry Pratchett, the author of the Discworld books. You may know him as the guy who stans for an enlightened dictatorship and whose only explicit mention of democracy in the modern timeline involves "and so they voted for bread and circuses, haha, stupid masses"? The guy for whom every single person pushing for civil rights is either a moron or a fraud (because that's politics, and what kind of decent person would go into that)? The guy who does "minority rights advocates are just elitist SJW's, real (model) minorities don't concern themselves with that nonsense" jokes straight out of Mallard Fillmore? The guy who wrote a book where a person sent to inspect the police force (for the first time ever, apparently, since Vimes is enough of a moral paragon that he can police himself) was an annoying interfering twerp who only came around (to be a real manly man who attacks protesters) once he realized that the police force are the thin blue line that separates society from chaos?

I'm not suggesting he's a Garrison level (as an aside, that's another person who takes issue with Jews "bad bankers", because literally every single stripe of political ideology has a problem with "bad bankers", they just don't agree that the term means) mega-chud - denigrating democracy and civilian control of police and military forces is such a long-standing tradition for "non-ideological" liberal writers that it's easier to note the exceptions.

He's just (to use the Disco-Elyisum term) a true-born, dyed in the wool moralist. Who absolutely does believe that "having nice people in the right positions would fix everything wrong" - and of course, nice people believe in common sense consensus-liberal politics, they just aren't... you know, political or loud about it.

Lmao at this set of nuclear takes.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Boxturret posted:

Start with whichever one has the most interesting cover then read the rest in a completely random order.

wtf don't dox me

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Thud! was excellent though.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The later Vimes books (except Snuff) are extremely good though? Night Watch is the best Watch book of the lot and Thud! isn't far behind.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Colon is very competent at the specific task of avoiding work.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjnubfRy8Ws
Here, have a good video that lays out just how bullshit the idea that Pratchett was gender critical is.

I mean that fact is obvious, but this video goes into it and at the end has an interesting look at how Pratchett uses pronouns with regard to Sergeant Jackrum in Monstrous Regiment.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I still like the Lost Continent.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

YggiDee posted:

I'd want either a movie of Lords and Ladies (b/c I love the witch books) Carpe Jugulum (I like it more but without the context of previous books it's harder to get across how unbalanced Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg are acting when Magrat destroys the status quo. On the other hand it's my absolute favourite showing of Agnes and Perdita)

The third option would be Thief of Time because I just think it would be completely apeshit. Ronnie Soak, the fifth horseman? Chocolate based combat in the middle of a time-frozen Ankh-Morpork? A legion of abstract spirits of bureaucracy shove one of their own into a meatsuit and she has an existential crisis so hard she becomes a person? Susan Sto Helit, the goth mirror self of Miss Frizzle? I wanna see the History Monks.

...Okay this might be kind of weird but I don't visualize stuff in my head very well, and one thing that's really stood out over to me everything else in the Discworld series is the giant hall in the temple of the History Monks, where the massive Procrastinators are rolling and unrolling time across the entire world, as monks scurry back and forth cooling the axles so they don't burst into flames from the friction alone, as the planks on the wall flip back and forth to show exactly how much time is winding and unwinding. The scene where Lobsang instinctually takes over and for a brief moment, balances all of time, across the Disc, everything, into a single perfect moment.

That's what I want to see. I want everyone else to see it as well as I can see it in my head.

Thief of Time is definitely my favourite individual novel even if the City Watch stuff is my favourite series.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I had no idea about that and I love the fact that my two favourite Discworld books are even more connected than I thought.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Death having a cameo in every book is one of my favourite Discworld traditions.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

That was Night Watch and when you describe the premise like that it makes me astounded that the book is as good as it is.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Talking about Night Watch just made me remember the running joke about all the traps that Vimes sets for the constant trickle of assassins and lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

That's Jingo.