Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The one thing I remember is that they used my mental casting for Sacharissa Cripslock that I had since reading The Truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Imagined posted:

Now I'm on Thief of Time. It's one I almost never hear anyone mention as a favorite or least favorite, but I'm really enjoying it. I think I really enjoy the jokes poking fun at the tropes of orientalism and kung-fu movies. I particularly love every Lu-Tze joke about 'is it not written...?' that then references something an old British landlady would say.

Thief of Time is definitely my favourite individual novel.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Beachcomber posted:

They're together and very happy. :colbert:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

If your favourite was Guards! Guards! then you have a lot of good times ahead of you.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Khizan posted:

I never read Shepard's Crown and have no intention of doing so. I think the Aching books ended well enough on I Shall Wear Midnight that I feel no real need to go further. Similarly, I've never read and will never read Raising Steam.

Wintersmith is real good though.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

thebardyspoon posted:

Wintersmith is before I Shall Wear Midnight so they've presumably read that.

Oh I thought it was A Hat Full of Sky, I Shall Wear Midnight, Wintersmith .

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Wintersmith is still one of my favourite Discworld books.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

"one of"

edit: My favourite book in the series is Thief of Time so the inconsistency is still there. :v: The City Watch are my favourite character set though.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Dammit the bit about Nobby stealing cakes actually got a chuckle out of me.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Woman who says she'll be involved with adaptations, spinoffs and tie-ins co-writes a tie-in, deeply troubling

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'd personally call Thief of Time the best Discworld novel, but Night Watch is a close second.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

sebmojo posted:

Interesting call, I've never seen that one at the top of any lists. Why do you like it?

Death & Co are a great set of characters, Susan is cool, I like the history monks, and there's some weird and interesting mythological/deity concepts.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The City Watch books are fantastic because they are pretty much all standout examples of the genre they're parodying.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

sebmojo posted:

Whichever book you find first as a tattered paperback somewhere

This is the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Reading spending character sets is better for rereads imo