Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I always thought Vetinari was kind of a play on the belief that most people subconsciously have, that somewhere, there's someone in charge that knows everything that's going on. Whether its the president, or a shadowy international cabal, or the CIA or whatever. People believe that someone like him exists, so it makes sense that in a fantasy setting, someone like that would exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

The only thing I feel like Pterry maybe drops the ball a bit with is that there could probably be a bit more characters of color in the AM stories, given how cosmopolitan that setting is supposed to be. It would be nice if we had a major Watch character who was Klatchian or something.

I don't know if he counts as a major character, but I think its mentioned that Visit (and most Omnians) are darker than the average city denizen. But yeah, other than that, most main characters are white. Or at least assumed to be, a lot of characters' race isn't outright stated. We know Carrot has bright orange hair which means he's probably white. Angua is described as having blonde hair, and also being from Uberwald which is basically eastern europe. Dwarves' skin colors aren't usually mentioned though. They're probably pretty pale since they live mostly under ground. Aside from that, anyone could be any race really.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I seem to remember the Going Postal adaptation was alright. They didn't change too much or add too many dumb things. Terry must have approved, he had a cameo in it, I don't think he would have wanted to be involved if he didn't agree with what they did with the story.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Feliday Melody posted:

I really like Angua as a character. But I was a bit sad to see that in the Postal film, she mostly just growls at people.

I like that they gave her a cameo, as IIRC she's not even in that book.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Andoman posted:

This is very true but doesn't preclude the idea that not all law enforcement types are bad. And hey, there are bad cops in discworld, Quirke, Cable St etc.

Also when you see the watch from other characters point of view they seem a lot less good. Like, in The Truth they are definitely overstepping their bounds, joking(?) about how William is not to fall down the stairs to the cells, spying on him etc. They're treated a lot more like normal police were viewed in the late 90s UK which probably wasn't as bad as US cops, right? But still distrusted by most everyone (except for Carrot of course)

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I started with The Color of Magic in my first year of high school, in 2004 and was immediately hooked for some reason. It was recommended to me by a student teacher in one of my classes. I had recently read Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy so that might have helped, I think the first 2 books have a very "Hitchhiker's Guide, but for fantasy" feel. I don't remember which one I read next, but I'm definitely responsible for my school's library doubling their collection of discworld books. One of the librarians also recommended Tom Holt, who has some decent books but none of them left as much of an imprint on me.

Mort is a very strong starting point though.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

CommonShore posted:

I haven't read the science of Discworld books but I have seen Rincewind identified as Professor of Cruel and Unusual Geography, so it might be in there.

I suppose the position was open since the beginning of The Last Continent, wasn't that the professor that got eaten by a dinosaur in the past?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Isn't there already a running joke that people don't so much BUY beer in the Drum as they do rent it?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Total Meatlove posted:

Picking Thief of Time when it and Night Watch are the same story split into two distinct parts anyway, is cheating.

I've seen this theory before, but it doesn't seem to have a lot supporting it. In Night Watch we just find out that Vimes got caught up in a big temporal incident, but is there any hint at it in Thief of Time? If they're happening at the same time, then when in Thief of Time would it have happened? Lu-Tze doesn't seem busy with much else at the time, and I thought everything in Thief of Time was resolved in the same instant it broke, so that nobody experiencing time knew anything happened. Could it have been a different temporal incident? Or was this just an idea Terry had after he finished Thief of Time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

The ending of Reaper Man destroys me every time. The thread title is from there. It's an amazing book.