Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I think we're gonna keep finding these for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Mister Roboto posted:

Fred has always been a bit of a casual racist. This goes all the way back to Jingo where he's unknowingly ignorant about calling people ragheads.

It seemed the point of that in Jingo was that Fred was consciously trying to be racist, you know, get into the spirit of the times, and failing because it was against his nature.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

If Pyramids has any faults it's that the best sequence is right at the start, but there are many other highlights.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Xander77 posted:

If you thought that Raising Steam was good, or even ok... I'd really love to know why. Or how. Or what. Or when.

What was the character arc for... any of the characters? What was the theme, and how did the story develop it? What were the jokes that you found funny? What were the jokes that you even understood were supposed to be jokes to begin with?

I thought the bit with Colon and Nobby checking out the train was hilarious. The rest... bleh.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Khizan posted:

The best Pratchett book is Night Watch.

That aside, I've decided I'm just not going to read Raising Steam. I'd rather end on a high note.

Yeah, that's wise.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

AlphaDog posted:

It might also be that I saw the "twist" coming because I knew what the title was referring to.

I didn't know about the title's significance at the time, but the front cover gave it away for me.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Dirty Frank posted:

Raising steam you can leave till youve read literally everything else he's written, Moving Pictures is kindof flawed but decent and (I think?) totally stand alone.

Honestly, if you just read the part where Nobby and Colon inspect the train and nothing else you'll have the best possible experience.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

The Economist has a nice obituary.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Hedrigall posted:

I thought it was a pretty deep book about the horrors of war.

War in all it's potential horror had been covered in Jingo, and much better to boot. Beyond that it all it had was a twist that a glance at the cover made obvious.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

freebooter posted:

I know it's wrong but I still pronounce it "AN Gyoo Ah" in my head.

That's how the audiobooks do it.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

I was buying a present for my nephew for his birthday and I guess everyone in Finland who reads Pratchett reads it in English because there were basically no Finnish translations in the book stores. loving nerds :rolleyes:

Come to think of it my first Pratchett book was Pyramids, bought in Helsinki. One of the best books to start the series on, as luck would have it.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

FF13 was the first one to animate it as feathers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS6CXgloFUg

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Also on this page:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

citybeatnik posted:

Except for Pyramids. I think that's the only one i've not found the desire to revisit.

I'd still call it the best standalone introduction to the series. It's got immediate hilarity (especially if you've ever taken a driving exam), a monstrous villain with surprising depth, recognizable points from history, the camels...