Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
I've always thought that The Truth would adapt well to a tv production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

So I had a dream last night that Big Finish Audio announced they were doing a line of Discworld adaptations. I'm really sorry that's not a thing.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

YggiDee posted:

All the big Terminator references were in Feet of Clay, this is just throwing in one or two extra.

But Feet of Clay is also RoboCop.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Arist posted:

Moving Pictures can't be the worst because it introduced Ridcully.

And Detritus!

Regarding what order to read in, I find a chart helps.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I think Feet of Clay is my favorite Watch book and I'm due for a re-read.

Feet is Clay is really great, and contains a lot of striking imagery (the city in the fog, Carrot's "interrogation" of Dorfl). The poisoning storyline does drag a bit, though.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Camrath posted:

Bit worried by how young the actres they've picked for Sybil is. She's meant to be a matronly type in (I'm guesing) her 40s.

The big thing about Sybil is that she's supposed to be heavy. Lara Rossi looks...not heavy.

narm00 posted:

From the press releases, it looks like they're taking bits from across the Watch books, including Night Watch. E.g.: we've got a newbie Carrot joining a disempowered Watch (Guards! Guards!), which has Angua and Cheery (who joined in Men at Arms), with Angua as Carrot's mentor.

That said, there's distinct implications of messing with time as the main plot.

And I'm really not sure how I feel about that.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Beachcomber posted:

Depends what she's mentoring him in ;)

Oh, Angua's definitely more experienced than Carrot on multiple fronts, wink wink nudge nudge. Which may be why the idea of her mentoring him feels weird. When a mentor figure also becomes a sexual partner, that starts getting into some tricky territory. Plus, Angus was a diversity hire after Guards, Guards. Why would a female werewolf who's always been running away from something be a part of the shabby boys club of the pre-Carrot Night Watch?

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Avalerion posted:

That’s already the case in the book I feel, here they just switched the roles.

True, though Carrot comes across as so simple and naïve (even though he isn't, really), it never really read that way to me. And there's the whole "trying to giftwrap the city" angle. He wants her to love A-M just as much as he does, but what keeps her there is him (and to a lesser degree, Vimes).

Epicurius posted:

I could be wrong, but I'm getting the impression that this thing is going to start with Carrot joining an already expanded City Watch.

Yeah, this is obviously a remix, not an adaptation, which seems like a missed opportunity, but oh well.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Epicurius posted:

I think all of those things are true. Carrot is a, at the same time, a nice man, a good man, very clever when it comes to dealing with people, and not afraid to kill somebody if he figures he needs to.

You'd have to be very complicated to be so simple.

Angua may not *understand* Carrot, but she gets him.

Rand Brittain posted:

I assume this is also why Carrot ceased to be a major character, because you just can’t keep using him for that long without opening the box and knowing what’s inside.

Honestly, I kinda think Pratchett just had more in common with Vimes.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

e X posted:

Well, it's obviously just my opinion, but I am admittedly kind a biased against Carot. A lost kind king who literally has the devine, or narrative, right to rule just doesn't sit well with my stoutly republican rear end.

Pratchett was no monarchist. The center tension of Carrot's 'kingship' is what happens when you have someone who is a genuinely good leader running into the human design flaw of bending at the knees. Vimes himself notes that he might be okay with Carrot as ruler...except for what would happen after him.

Fighting Trousers fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 23, 2019

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Trin Tragula posted:

I for one will just absolutely never get bored of pondering exactly what the hell is going on in Carrot's head.

Men at Arms posted:

Carrot often struck people as simple. He was simple. The mistake people made was thinking 'simple' meant the same thing as 'stupid'.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

CoolCab posted:

carrot for sure has magical charisma, the books call it out several times.

that a king was in the city, fully realizing his claim and still choosing the life of a humble civil servant was always the point. carrot has all the abilities and characteristics of fantasy monarchs - he's brave, selfless, heroic, powerful, his rhetoric and nature can turn people to his side, his infinite sense of noblesse oblige that means he cares about literally every creature in anhk morpork to the point he learns everyone's names. devotion to the law, strong sense of justice, love of tradition, etc etc.

carrot is the ideal of a fantasy king - the inversion is he's lacking all the characteristics of actual kings - ambition, ruthlessness, greed, a superiority complex, incompetence, predilection to violence, etc. because of this the fantasy king can see that there shouldn't be kings and as such leave the business of running the city to people who are good at it. he only uses his unwanted power for emergencies and to act as a check on legitimate authority.

Mr. Vimes put words in his head.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

angerbeet posted:

Lady Sybil Ramkin for those who didn't click through. Apparently.

#NotMySybil

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

angerbeet posted:

Cheery now seems to be that Gothabilly hacker girl from NCIS or whatever.

This seems a significant deviation w/r/t character.

Until proven otherwise, I'm just assuming that all of the characters are going to be pretty substantially removed from their book counterparts. Carrot will probably make his entrance dropping f-bombs.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

I still think the Discworld books would be adapted best as Big Finish style audio dramas.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

I don't know why nobody's ever adapted The Truth. It's a good standalone, but still solidly in the A-M setting. Plus, it's got a great Pulp Fiction riff with Mr. Tulip and Mr. Pin.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Moving Pictures when I was 12 or so. Then when I was in high school, I picked up Men At Arms, saw that Detritus was in that one too and fell in love. That was also when I became the sole member of the Carrot Ironfounderrson Fan Club.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Still lmaoing at young skinny hot vigilante Sybil Ramkin.

Also loling (disappointedly) at non-dwarf Cheery.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

If you were wondering about Rhiannon Pratchett's opinion...

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

The Truth kind of kicks off the "Industrial Revolution" arc (for want of a better word). It's also a Watch book without being a Watch book, and is the Pulp Fiction/All the President's Men mashup you didn't know you needed.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Sam Vimes posted:

There's lots of people will help you with the alcohol business, but there's no one out there arranging little meetings where you can stand up and say, "My name is Sam and I'm a really suspicious bastard."

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

The eyeliner budget for this show must have been incredible.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

T-man posted:

biiiiiiiiiig difference between having that knee conversation with her in the room vs not in the room. (admittedly, i'd probably know they were going to have a conversation like that from the whole kilt thing, but at least cherri doesn't hear it in the book)

Also important to remember is that once Carrot gets over his initial shock (and gets a talking-to by Angua), he is supportive of Cheery's gender expression and never misgenders her again.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

:hmmyes:

It really does seem like this entire series is an exercise in Missing The Point.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

The AV Club isn't jazzed either.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

angerbeet posted:

Well the first episode leaked and I am finding it difficult to describe how bad this is.

Try.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

There was a joke here. It's gone now.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Devorum posted:

Yes. Her parents got assassinated by assassins so that Sybil can have a motivation to oppose assassins and a bad Key Plot Item that allows her to sneak into the Assassin's Guild because they're also the Clown Guild in that they have unique, individual masks.

:crossarms:

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

If the Archchancellor doesn't sound like BRIAN BLESSED in your head, I don't know what to tell you.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Cheery Littlebottom is a hero to anyone who feels themselves stuffed into a gendered box they don't feel comfortable in, cis or trans.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

I’d do The Truth as an All the President’s Men style thriller.

I mean, it's already halfway there.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

El Fideo posted:

I did not enjoy Planer. Very poor comic timing, and really bad voices.

His Angua was so awful I couldn't finish Men At Arms.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Jedit posted:

It's just been announced that to celebrate 50 years since Pterry first published fiction, there will be 40 new audio versions released in 2022 with Hogfather coming next month as a taster. Cast includes:

Bill Nighy as the Footnotes
Peter Serafinowicz as Death
Andy Serkis, Indira Varma and Sian Clifford as narrators.

I am extremely here for this. :getin:

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

CommonShore posted:

And speaking of digging up mouldering arguments about Terry Pratchett, I'm half way through The Truth right now. What's amazing to me is how the watch looks entirely different from the outside in. Not so much "copaganda," especially when read back-to-back with The Fifth Elephant.

And remembering that The Truth came out after The Fifth Elephant. makes the "She's your..." "Friend." exchange between Vimes, Carrot, and Angua hit different. They're on a bit of a break post Fifth Elephant., I think, even if Pterry never spells it out.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

I'm desperately interested in who's going to do the Watch books - I can't stand the ones Nigel Planer did, because he gave Angua such an awful voice.

Fighting Trousers fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 29, 2022

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

They don't talk about the Watch books, though? It mentions the Wizards, the Witches, Death, and Andy Serkis doing a one-shot with Small Gods. So I'm guessing they haven't made it that far yet.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Trin Tragula posted:

Do wolves ever look back?

The wolf part of Angua responds to Carrot's pack leader qualities, something he never really *purposefully* taps into. And in Feet of Clay and to a lesser extent in Jingo, she's frustrated that he won't. Then in The Fifth Elephant, he does, and well...we see why that's not a toolset he likes to use.

Honestly, I find Angua and Carrot's relationship fascinating, and while I wish Pratchett had expanded on it more, romantic relationships were never his focus and that was his prerogative. But there's a lot of really interesting tension there between the lines.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

What I like about Pratchett is that he never write ~romance~. He wrote characters who just...fell in together because it made sense that they would.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

CaptainRat posted:

Moving Pictures is one of Pratchett's few...it feels sacrilegious to say the man had misses, but it's definitely not better than a foul. He does weirdly pluck Gaspode from it a number of books down the line though. But yeah, they should only get better from there if you're going in order. And it's super awesome that your kid is growing up with Discworld, that's a top five parenting decision right there imo.

Isn't Moving Pictures also the first appearances of Detritus and Ruby?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

GLOD GLOD GLOD GLOD-

No, that's the second verse!