Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

MikeJF posted:

I just had the mental image of the Witches handling a murder mystery on a train. It was glorious.

Oh my god, this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Yup. This nailed a lot of my issues with Raising Steam. Well said.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Zephyrine posted:

Didn't The Bursa start off as sensible character as a parallel to Ridcully's lunacy?

Yeah, but Ridcully drove him mad.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Ika posted:

Wasn't that dejiwhatever for a couple of chapters in pyramids?

Djellibabi.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
This is on tonight, right?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I had to resort to :filez: but I saw it and it was amazing. You should all go and watch it, it was definitely the best.

(Yes, I had the wrong thread. Sorry lads!)

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Nihilarian posted:

What was it?

Nothing actually special or amazing at all, just Agents of SHIELD. Pretty good episode, though.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I think the word you are all looking for is "panic room" - presumably on the Disc, Vetinari invented them for the occasion (or got the idea out of some old and rare book that he subsequently destroyed).

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Alhazred posted:

The orcs was worse. The goblins hide away and no one really speak about them because they either doesn't know about or that they doesn't like them.
But with the orcs you not only have an army of brutal warriors but also a Sauron like leader and a loving war.

I didn't particularly see a problem with this - the Evil Empire in Uberwald and its fall was referenced as far back as Carpe Jugulum, if not further, and it fell because of an internal revolution, not because it went to war with Ankh-Morpork, iirc. So it makes sense that the man on the street wouldn't really be up on orcs and Evil Overlords except in a purely theoretical sense.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

My Lovely Horse posted:

The German translations all are, at least until recently, when the publisher started to have them retranslated by someone who actually seems to know their stuff.

I had a similar experience in that regard, I started with German translations and always thought the books were pretty good but something about the writing style was off somehow. A few years later had a go on the originals and realized I'd been ripped off all that time.

There were some editions that had actual ads - like actual product-placement ads for real-world products - worked into the narrative by the translator, iirc.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

AlphaDog posted:

I like Rat Queens a lot and I don't usually like comics at all. I wouldn't say it's like Pratchett except that it has fun with many fantasy cliches.

Rat Queens is, like, NEXTWAVE for epic fantasy.

(I like it, and NEXTWAVE, a lot.)

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Hogge Wild posted:

Raising Steam. The only one that I didn't finish.

This. The characters lost their voices.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Terry Pratchett is gone but...

WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN

I was wibbling, but this broke me.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

kanonvandekempen posted:

I wonder what his final plans for discworld were, it felt like he was steering the world to some kind of conclusion, with Vetinari seemingly preparing Ankh-Morpork for a post-Vetinari world, it genuinely felt like he was writing towards some kind of conclusion. I guess we'll never know.

There's no conclusion. The turtle moves on.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Kurtofan posted:

Is Rhianna Pratchett a writer?

Yes, she wrote the most recent Tomb Raider game, a bunch of comics, and other stuff.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

PJOmega posted:

"WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE BOOK?"
" 's"

Beautiful.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

kanonvandekempen posted:

And 20 years later, after reading my first Pratchet on a solar eclipse day I'll go see another solar eclipse next week, which feels kinda poetic.

That's awesome. I, too, am going to see that eclipse, as are many other goons, because the internet spaceships convention got moved to this weekend so we could all see the eclipse.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

My Lovely Horse posted:

Just imagine Terry's take on bitcoin for a minute. That alone would have been worth a book. Warehouses filled with little imp cages.

:vince:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I feel like the first 3/4 of Shepherd's Crown was a fine farewell to the Discworld, but the writing became very simple after that point - lots of telling rather than showing, not much clever wordplay. You could tell he was rushing to finish at the end. I still liked it much better than Raising Steam, and it's still worth reading.

Bring a box of tissues.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

dmboogie posted:

oh gently caress no I did not mean to mouse over that spoiler oh no :smith:

i guess I need to read the book now but even hearing about that kinda put me in a state of shock

Thankfully it's also the best-written part of the book. It was clearly part of the arc all along.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

sebmojo posted:

Granted. Terry's occasional forays into terrible 'oo-err' music hall style english sex comedy were reliably bad from day one.

They were terribly English if that's what you mean.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

MikeJF posted:

Do you want Gods? That's how you get Gods.

Hah! Particularly in Discworld.

(Never expected to see an Archer reference make sense in a Discworld context, well done.)

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Stroth posted:

I've always been of the opinion that Sam Vimes' eternal rest is going to be a very short thing indeed. Either he's going to immediately become the God of Coppers or his sheer drive to duty is going to make him a zombie

"...The Shoe is certainly on the other foot now, isn't it sir!" said Reg.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
You mean that his talent didn't spring fully formed from the head of Zeus like your better class of Greek god?!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I liked that random airplane section :shobon:

Mostly the humor in Rincewind's Earth-equivalent having a completely useless doctorate in giant nuclear reactors, but still.

Oh, not debating that. I laughed pretty hard. It was a good bit. Just not... smooth.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Liquid Communism posted:

Let's be fair. Since he quit drinking, the sole and only thing Sam Vimes has been thrilled with is his wife and kid, and those rare occasions when he gets to chase someone or frustrate Vetinari momentarily.

That sounds like a pretty good life. "Frustrate Vetinari momentarily" probably deserves a medal for bravery if you do it once, let alone as a matter of professional course.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Rush Limbo posted:

I always got the impression that Ridcully was far more shrewd than he lets on and his behaviour towards the other Wizards is largely because a Wizard left to his own devices is a very dangerous thing. Basically using reverse psychology etc to get the Wizards to pursue the ridiculous tangents they do because otherwise they'd have a lot of free time on their hands.

Headology. And you know where he got it from.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Jerry Cotton posted:

Terry Pratchett, since he's a fictional character.

There's always one.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
They weren't really writers themselves, were they? She's skilled and successful in her own right, so it follows that she has actual taste.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Beachcomber posted:

A lot of things looked a little cheap, in a bad way. Specifically the aliens, which were also very rushed. I also don't know why they felt it necessary to actually show Satan at the end when they should have just done the Earth shaking and maybe some glowing cracks in the ground.

The book kind of implies the aliens look a bit dime-store, doesn't it? They're not even sure why they're there, and they're literally the products of a child's imagination anyway. I give it credit ;)

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Jedit posted:

The Them aren't meant to behave like real kids. It's the point.

ADAM: S'no point in havin' a gang if your friends can't keep up.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Cicadalek posted:

yo here's how loving stupid I am: I just reread The Lost Continent for easily like the 18th time in 15 years. Only on this most recent reread, at the age of 30, did I realize that in the final page when the creator guy throws the multicolored boomerang into the air and it sticks there, it's meant to be a rainbow.

oh poo poo

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Shoehead posted:

The Queen saying Tiffany doesn't love her brother and Tiffany almost exactly saying "what's love got to do with it?"
:discourse:

"War. Huh! What is it good for? Absolutely nothing." Fred Colon, I think.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Stroth posted:

"Dunno, Sarge. Freeing slaves, maybe?" Definitely Nobby Nobbs

That was a REALLY GOOD bit of dialogue.

Also very Pratchett.

Nothing is ever clear and simple.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
You're not rambling. You're making perfect sense.

That struggle to turn the sum of our rage into a worthy guardian? That's in everyone. That's all of us.

We are all monsters and we are all wonders. We are the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.

How we face that challenge depends on where fate takes us, and where we put ourselves. Some of us face it more starkly and painfully than others; life is mortally unfair. But what you describe -

You're no more of a monster than I am.

Or Pratchett, because clearly he understood these things. I learned to see this truth in myself from reading the same books, at an age when I really needed to.

I think he gave the right approach to Vimes, too: Welcome the dark, speak to it, let it inform but not control or define you. You define it.

And read to your kids. (On time.)

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
now I want to see a Kidby-style animated Discworld show, like Star Trek: The Animated Series with weird colors because the animator is colorblind

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I would have gone with "colorful rascal" over "mischievous".

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I don't know, kings aren't known for being accurate or precise.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
In Ankh-Morpork, you get the Carrot, or you get the ol' stick in the mud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Putting a sign up in my kitchen. "PEASE IS OUR PROFESSION"