Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm not sure if this is kosher or not, but if it ain't, please do tell so I can take it down ASAP:

I just got a Kindle, and I've been looking to get a copy of Snuff for it since I haven't read that yet. However, it seems that only the UK Amazon store has a Kindle version for download.

Are there other methods of acquiring a copy apart from the obvious "dummy UK account" solution?

vvv: Err, yes? I've seen the US page, there's no available version for purchase and download.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Sep 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yes, you're right. Not only is Snuff sold out here, I can't even buy the digital version :argh:

I suppose I could get someone to gift a copy to me from the US store? The odd thing is that I actually do have a valid US delivery address that worked with digital game downloads, even with the billing address registered to my country.

vvv: I can handle some techy stuff, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 30, 2012

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

I suppose I could get someone to gift a copy to me from the US store? The odd thing is that I actually do have a valid US delivery address that worked with digital game downloads, even with the billing address registered to my country.

I'm quoting myself here in case anyone tries the same thing: nah, it doesn't work. :sigh:

Oh well, at least I still got 8~ bucks worth of credit to spend on a book.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I just managed to find and finish a copy of the Wee Free Men, and having read all the Tiffany Aching books apart from that, I can't believe I missed the fact that "Miss Tick" sounds like "mystic".

Which Pratchett points out in the very first book of the sub-series.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I wonder if I'm just being in denial by not considering Snuff a Watch book since it's more about Vimes coming to terms with his aristocratic status. Similarly, I consider the Aching books separate from the Lancre Witches storyline.

Though honestly, under those definitions, Maskerade's the only book I wouldn't actively seek out to read again.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

All of them. Google image search "Paul Kidby discworld"

edit: Also check here: http://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=paul%20kidby

Aww man :smith: : http://www.pinterest.com/pin/179932947584605876/

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Clarence posted:

Who is that behind Vimes and Fred - is it Reg Shoe?

And over Carrot's right shoulder - Constable Visit?

Oooh, just noticed Buggy Swires! :)

That's definitely Reg - he's got stitches 'round his neck but isn't hunched over like an Igor.

And yeah, by process of elimination, the last dude is probably Visit.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Clarence posted:

Is the next book going to be a Tiffany Aching one? (Assuming it ever gets finished :smith:)

Pretty sure Tiffany Aching's story is finished.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

stevey666 posted:

Pretty sure someone is wrong!

And that someone is me :downs:

Strange, last thing I remember about I Shall Wear Midnight was that it was supposed to be the final Tiffany Aching book. The Lancre witches are way funnier than the Chalk witches, but if it means more Feegles...well, sure.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Jedit posted:

The Shepherd's Crown is with the editors.

Death is in it.

That final paragraph is real heavy, but these two got me the hardest in a way.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Damo posted:

OK I feel a bit stupid and dense but I'm having trouble realizing what Vimes' revelation about Vetinari's imprisonment in Guards! Guards! exactly was.

Vetinari keeps asking him what he sees when he looks at the dungeon door, which looks normal to Vimes until it clicks and he gets it which a sense of admiration for the Patrician. He says

So, is that implying that everyone outside is basically in the "dungeon" so to speak? I don't really get it :eng99:

Prisons are supposed to keep people locked in and the outside world safe from their existence; the Patrician's special cell keeps him safe from the outside world because he can lock the drat door on them. It's like a glass-half-empty/full thing, based on the usual expectation that obviously a locked cell would have the bolts and poo poo outside where the captors can control them.

BTW, I am struggling to put this in words for some reason, hahaha.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I definitely noticed that there's a lot more run-on sentences in the newer books. Especially when characters are going on extended rants, which themselves are a lot more common. I figured it was left over from Dodger's writing style.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
17, picked up Thud! on a lark after college classes one day. Hunted down the rest of the books after that, and the Watch remains my favorite of the sub-series. Only haven't read Last Hero and Raising Steam; tough to find Pratchett's books in my country.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

YggiDee posted:

I have only just now gotten the pun in Casanova vs Casanunda (over vs under)

Argh :argh:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Blind Melon posted:

Vimes throwing his cigarette over the wall into the Time Monk's garden in Night Watch was golden.

oh poo poo

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It'll be one of my biggest regrets in life to have been one book away from reading the entire Discworld series before Sir Terry left us. Seven years since I first picked up Thud! on a lark...rest in peace, Sir Terry.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Sir Terry may be gone, but nevertheless...the Turtle moves!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

If you have some time to spare, you should watch Neil Gaiman talk at length about Terry and their relationship:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeyjn3EaHAM

And if you don't have the time to spare, at least listen to the anecdote that starts around 30 minutes in.

Thank you for this; just so happened that I've been thinking about how the comedy genre and how Pratchett basically pulled it out of an "intellectual ghetto", for the lack of a better word. The bit about comedy and seriousness not being polar opposites fit it perfectly.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm surprised at Jingo's reception here; it's one of my favorite Watch books thanks to the dynamic between Vimes and the D'regs, who 71-hour Ahmed is, and Colon and Nobby's adventures with Vetinari.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

I thought it was a pretty deep book about the horrors of war.

Same; as a one-off book, it did a great job tying all these usual Discworld tropes and themes together to illustrate that war is a hell of a thing that always has a profound effect on society before, during, and after the fact. Polly getting asked about what Borogravians are proud of is a great moment that speaks volumes.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Arbite posted:

War in all it's potential horror had been covered in Jingo, and much better to boot. Beyond that it all it had was a twist that a glance at the cover made obvious.

The twist in Monstrous Regiment isn't Sweet Polly Oliver, it's how far the twist is taken: to a hilariously stupid and yet subtly horrifying degree considering that even the all-female high command would let the Ins-and-Outs take the heat despite being in the position to change things.

Gravitas Shortfall summed up why I like the book really well: war had eroded Borogravian society to the point that it didn't even need to be happening at present to destroy lives.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

MikeJF posted:

That's awesome.

Though it reminds me that it always kinda bugged me that despite being so accurate most of the time, Kidby always gives the Watch sandals. Mainly because Vimes had a thing about his boots.

In fairness, Guards! Guards! did distinctly described the Watch as wearing sandals. Probably got new boots once Vetinari was convinced they would be an important part of A-M society at the end of that book.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

He lost the ability to read a year or two before he passed. His last books were only rough proofed because that was the best he could do when he had to have them dictated to him, and he wasn't strong enough to spend the months doing iterative revisions that he used to.

Jesus Christ.

To have passed away a happy man at peace with himself is the least I could've ever wanted for Pterry :unsmith:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'd go further and include stuff like considering yourself an instrument of God's will, an eventuality from circumstances, an animal acting on instinct, or anything of a similar ilk. Basically refusing to take charge of your free will and saying that you have no choice but to be swept away in the current, and in turn, sweep others away as you fall.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I...didn't think the girl's night out part of Thud! was that bad? I mean, it's average at worst and overall a minor part of the story, unlike Windle Poon's story in Reaper Man.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

dordreff posted:

Carrot hasn't had a major role in a book since like The Fifth Elephant.

That's not right!

He was a major character in the Last Hero :cheeky:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Thud's been the only Watch book since then anyway. Night Watch and Snuff were both Vimes books.

Kinda a bummer to see that the Vimes books consist of a major contender for the best Discworld novel, and a book that's mediocre at best.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Well, ever since Pratchett passed I decided to re-read all the Discworld books (at least, the ones I still had access to) before reading the Shepherd's Crown. Did just that during my vacation this July after going through Snuff and Raising Steam, and while SC definitely feels incomplete, it sure as hell reads and flows better than the former two.

I'm glad that Pratchett was still able to write two good books (UA and SC for me) during his final stretch towards the desert. Thanks for the memories, Terry.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Kinda harsh to use this metaphor, but it's like the "pretty girl being friends with an ugly girl" cliche, except that the undead part kinda drags down the excellence of the Death part. Mind you, I suppose it's worth it for the scene of Death and Poons just chilling on the bridge.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Alhazred posted:

Reaper Man was great, but all the other Death books is basically just a variation over that plot. I'm not saying that Gaiman is a better author than Pratchett but at least he managed to write two stories about Death where one of them wasn't "Death takes a holiday".

This ain't accurate: Death only truly takes a vacation in Mort. The other books are more accurately described as Death either being forced out of his role (Reaper Man through Auditor politicking, Soul Music through personal grief) or taking another role but remaining an elemental force of the universe (Hogfather, Thief in Time as a Horseman of the Apocalypse). And all throughout the books, Death's whole journey is learning to empathize with humanity, culminating in direct defiance against the Auditors in both Hogfather and Thief of Time.

Death not directly doing his duty does not qualify as a holiday plot, considering that every role after Mort still heavily involves his role as the anthropomorphic personification of death itself: he becomes a bereaved father to Ysabel as duty demanded, a grandfather to Susan who ends up inheriting part of his power and role, a feared/hated elemental trying to cover for one loved all over the world, and a destined harbinger of the apocalypse that successfully turns his fate on its head. Death remains Death whatever he does, but each book gives new and greater significance to his actions as he becomes more and more human.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Alhazred posted:

He pretty much already empathize with humanity that in all the books (except for the first one where he has a weird vendetta against Rincewind). Throughout the books he never really changes and he works best a minor character because of it.

I have to disagree, based primarily on his actions regarding fate and humanity, the former of which is a big part of his role as the Grim Reaper because of the inevitability of death, throughout his series:

- In Mort, his changing of the timeline results in Ysabell and Mort getting together;

- In Reaper Man, he saves the life of a little girl as a "human" after getting browbeaten by Flitworth about his stance on the eventuality of human mortality;

- In Soul Music, he laments the death of Ysabell and Mort because they held him to his duty, which is rather ironic in the sense that him shirking it in Mort was what led to them becoming a couple in the first place, which only happened because he sees a time-traveling Susan during the duel in Mort and realizes that they were fated to live and die together;

- In Hogfather, apart from the fundamental divide between his role as Death and his standing in for the Hogfather, he goes against the story of the matchstick girl (because of her death being "integral" to the story);

- This all culminates in the Thief of Time, which is all about the concept of humanity and what defines a human. There, Death keeps noting how his fellow Horsemen have become much too reliant on humanity (and become human-like themselves) to ride out for the apocalypse. At the climax, he pulls another twist of fate by choosing to ride against the Auditors, and ironically nearly gets himself and the Horsemen killed because their closeness to humanity leads to them slowly getting worn out during the battle.

The biggest change is in Reaper Man, where his "human" defiance against the girl's fate is his first major act towards understanding why humans fear death and cling to life so desperately. Soul Music (and Mort) is him realizing the weight of decisions regarding fate and mortality, which is particularly significant come Hogfather where he saves the matchstick girl's life in his capacity as the Hogfather by gifting her a future. Only in the Thief of Time does Death get to defy fate as the Grim Reaper itself, because the scythe-wielding personification just so happens to be one of the Four (Five) Horsemen. All throughout the series, Death becomes a complete rules lawyer who bends and twists the rules he is bound to for the benefit of humanity, but he never really becomes that until Reaper Man and onwards.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
He's in the big leagues now :unsmith:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Jedit posted:

The receipt wasn't holy, it was what it said. Which was, at least in paraphrase, "The bearer of this note is the owner of the golem Dorfl". As Dorfl was the bearer of the note, he owned himself.

I dunno man, a piece of paper affirming your existence as one controlled and defined by yourself through the power of metaphor sounds pretty drat holy to me.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Screaming Idiot posted:

And because Ridcully can suplex any wizard unfortunate enough to try to invoke dead man's pointy shoes.

This sentence cuts surprisingly deep into Discworld's humor; well done.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

Help me out here- I'm having trouble spotting the Terminator bits in Night Watch! (Beyond a time-travel based plot...)

Just the time travel part, being found naked in the street, lightning, etc. I mean, you could argue the whole thing re Carcer trying to capture and corrupt young Vimes and Sam trying to stop him could be an allusion to Kyle Reese and the first terminator, but it's just a minor reference.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I was fine with Unseen Academicals, even if I don't really care about soccer. Consider it similar to how I was alright with The Last Continent even as a non-Aussie/Commonwealther; it was still funny and compelling enough to follow.

Snuff and especially Raising Steam, though...few things bummed me out more than realizing that Pratchett was on his way out thanks to them.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Cicadalek posted:

It's Raising Steam by a country mile, I could not even finish that mess.

Finished it, but yeah, I wouldn't read it again. Second would probably be Snuff; I know part of the book's theme is to basically acknowledge that Vimes will have to change as he gets older and settles into his position, but god it's so poorly done it feels like fanfiction at times.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Aw loving hell. The MacAbre. Macabre.

Aaaargh.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
"Post-punk" is a weird way to describe a Watch series, but whatever, Discworld has always been charmingly weird so let's see what they come up with first.

Also it's a comedy series at the core, really weird to act like it should be something you'd need a doctorate to read?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Oh poo poo, BOTL was that dude. Dang, explains a lot.