Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This is terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mort was the first one in the series I really legitimately enjoyed and Guards! Guards! really blew me away. I'd say one of those.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Bilirubin posted:

At what point can I read Night Watch? Last time ITT I was told basically "read all of Discworld first" but nobody got time for that

It requires a bit of context to hit as hard as it does. You should probably just read the five other previous Watch novels first because those contain most if not all of Vimes' development. Thief of Time helps, sort of, but it's far from necessary.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The zombie plot in Reaper Man is honestly kind of weak but the Death half of that book is enough to elevate the entire thing to some of the strongest material in the entire series.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah you can't just drop that poo poo in our laps with no reasoning my dude

e: Okay, you provided reasoning. It's bad.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The actual manifestations of those superficially similar phenomena are wholly different but to my recollection (and to be fair, I haven't read it in years) the part of Hogfather concerning folklore coming to life is not really a major part of that book anyway.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Moving Pictures can't be the worst because it introduced Ridcully.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I bought Nation recently and hearing all this about it makes me excited to start it, but my book backlog is incredibly long.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This talk about Nation is making me want to finally crack open my copy of it.

Haven't read Pratchett in quite a while, but I decided to reread Guards! Guards! over the last week (this would be the third time I've read it at least) because it was an old favorite. It definitely held up, though it was much more cynical than I remembered, even if that cynicism served the story well. If nothing else, it made Vimes and the Patrician's last conversation about the nature of people really interesting because it put you in Vimes' shoes as the person who's seen the worst in people but wants to believe in them anyway.

I was a bit worried that I wouldn't be able to get into it to the extent I was previously due to my current feelings about cops, but that really wasn't much of an issue, partially because Pratchett spends so much of the early book building up the Watch as three pathetic sadsacks and one naïve fool who just doesn't understand the way this whole thing works before building up their "heroic" qualities. It's clear that the Watch, specifically and especially Vimes, is a blatant idealization of what the police should be, which could easily come across as a whitewashing, but the thing that makes it really interesting is the way the Watch has been forced into complete irrelevance by the policing of the Guilds, which feels oddly prescient considering modern police abolitionist proposals. I guess what I'm saying is that the book does kind of fit the definition of "copaganda," but I could still see someone more eloquent than me making a case that the book is about forging a new, better system from the ashes of the old one (even if the Ankh-Morpork status quo is, as always, ludicrous for the sake of comedy). Though I'm honestly thinking way harder about it than I should be, it fundamentally works just because Vimes is a truly incredible character.

Anyway, it was a great read, made me immediately want to pick Men at Arms up and read that one again. I want to get back into Discworld after spending years away so I've got a list of the ones I want to reread: the other Watch novels, Reaper Man, and Small Gods.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

YggiDee posted:

I'm very fond of "Fingers" Mazda, the very first thief, who stole fire from the gods*

*He couldn't fence it, it was too hot*

*He really got burned on that deal

A classic

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Detritus is in Guards! Guards! briefly, but he is also in Moving Pictures, yes.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Doesn't Ridcully debut in Moving Pictures, actually?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Haven't read Men at Arms in a while so I picked it back up.

How did I never notice "A man'd have to be a fool to break into the Assassin's Guild" before?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

To my recollection there was a time Disney was considering a movie based on Mort, I think, but it fell through. I assume the seed of that idea became Coco.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Guards! Guards! is probably the best possible place to start. It doesn't explain every detail of the setting like starting with Colour of Magic would, but G!G! is very contained in setting to just Ankh-Morpork so that doesn't really matter. The important stuff gets explained, and it's the origin of the classic "Knowledge = power = energy = matter = mass," which is one of the building blocks of the entire setting and tells you everything you need to know right there.

It's also just one of my favorites.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think the main rub with starting there is that it might not be immediately clear who this mysterious gentleman who speaks in small caps is, but I think you would figure it out quickly enough

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Not really, though there's a specific group of Discworld novels that explicitly are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I actually kinda disagree, the lack of chapters makes a lot of the best Discworld novels extremely engrossing. I would sometimes read an entire book in a single sitting just because there was no good place to stop and I was that enraptured by the story.