Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Sam. posted:

Didn't they also stop the shopping mall from destroying Ankh-Morpork in Reaper Man?

The tried anyway, I can't remember who stopped it in the end.

Yo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
A lot of the book is just having fun throwing the witches into a bunch of stories and watching them derail everything.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Windle Poons sure but if you all skip the macho wizards (Yo!) And the Aliens bit in the mall you must hate fun.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
~I'm dreaming of a PMmmmmm~
yeah I can't make this work. But a PM sure would be nice :v:

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

jng2058 posted:

Anyway, as far as breezy fantasy stuff, have you read the old Robert Asprin Myth books?

This is a pretty solid recommendation for funny light fantasy stuff.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
This might not be right, but I remember the story shifts to being almost completely the Vimes plot about halfway through.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
I was going to say you were wrong because I couldn't remember Cheri being in Jingo, but I looked it up and Feet of Clay is before Jingo. I still can't remember Cheri doing anything in it though.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Yo!

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Jedit posted:

Yes, he did.

"What is the Muntab question?"

570 DWCon memberships sold so far, that's over two thirds capacity.

Pretty sure it was "Where's Muntab?"

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Konstantin posted:

Continuity isn't always perfect either, one big example is that the Department of Postmortem Communications didn't exist in Reaper Man.

Thief of Time :v:

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
I haven't read it yet, been keeping it so I'll have one to read even if I never end up reading it. But I was sure that the HEX and Vetinari comments were joking, I can't figure out why they'd show up. That it apparently wasn't is blowing my mind.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Alhazred posted:

Yeah, Gaiman's Death is the most human of the Endless because she interacts with humans all the time. And while Pratchett's Death (there really is no good of way of writing that) are good in small doses he doesn't really work as a main character. The books about him are basically variations over the theme "Death takes holiday and learns a valuable lesson while Susan has to do the real work".

That works for Mort and Soul Music, but Susan isn't in Mort. In the other two Susan books Death tricks her into solving the problems that he can't because of the rules.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
...I JUST got the Terminator bits. drat these books are layered.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
I think you've all forgotten unquestionably good dog Gaspode the wonderdog.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Monstrous regiment is fantastic gently caress the haters :colbert:

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Hogfather.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
It even has the line "Who is Reacher Gilt"

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
The wizard plot is hilarious and the Rincewind plot is just kind of there

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
I don't remember Carrot hating horses

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
I read the illustrated Last Hero when I was about ten, didn't get it, and then picked it up again a few years later and was hooked immediately. Started from the color of magic and worked forward from there.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Monstrous Regiment would be a fun short series.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Kiddo lost a tooth and the Bone Litch is leaving her a copy of Hogfather so we can read it heading up to Christmas.

We finished "Gaurds Gaurds" last night. I really liked this one, its mostly it's own story and there are arent a whole lot of characters so I dont have to make up a bunch of voices.

Hogfather's got a pretty large cast, prepare yourself

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Jedit posted:

I thought we were leaving out Soul Music because it's all references?

We're on a mission from Glod!

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
That just made me think of CMOT Dibbler trying to sell non-fungible tokens. All his apes gone.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
I think it depends on what you don't like about HHGTTG, excluding maybe the Rincewind books none of the Discworld books have the same disregard for coherent narrative and a-b-c storytelling as hhgttg. It might not be immediately clear why one thing leads to another at first but they're usually fairly tightly plotted at least for the sake of a solid joke recurring later, if not the actual plot. To put it another way, hhgttg often goes "thing a happens, and then we random transition to thing b, elsewhere, thing c is happening also for no reason", and Discworld doesn't do that much. They do have a very similar sense of humor though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
My library had The Last Hero and it's what got me reading the rest of the series. It's a real good one!