Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Yeah I just finished The Shepherd's Crown and yeah :( . There was also a short afterward explaining Terry's writing process and admitting Terry would have written a longer and more polished book if he had the time, as well as talking about some of the books and stories he had planned on writing, one of which seems to have been an allegory for his battle with Alzheimers .

I still need to read Raising Steam and Unseen Academicals. I had started Unseen Academicals but didn't really get into it as it started with a lot of new characters. I'll have to go give those two a read now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

I heard Reacher Gilt was partly based on John Galt.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

great big cardboard tube posted:

I just started discworld, finished the first 2 books and liked them a lot. Looks like I'm at the point where I have to choose whether to read the rest by publication date or jump around and follow specific character arcs to their ends?

Any recommendations which way is more enjoyable?

If I remember correctly, I read them by character arcs (ie I read the Death books, the Witches books, etc) but I'd say either way is enjoyable, as you get to see the Discworld evolve as a setting and PTerry becoming a better writer ( and sadly, in the later books written after his "embugerance", his writing quality decline). I would read them in some sort of order, if only to avoid spoilers / plot points (that said the first Discworld book I read was The Last Hero, a big coffee table / picture book that came late in the series)

Also re: Pratchett and religion, his best take on it was his non-Discworld trilogy The Bromeliad (Truckers, Diggers, and Wings)

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

gonadic io posted:

I'm looking for the particular quote that involves two big nations deciding to have a war/battle/conflict/fight and them explaining to a smaller neighbour that the it had to actually take place in the smaller country. This is very convincing to the person from the smaller country but it gets harder and harder to remember the argument by the time to get home.

Or something along those lines anyway. At this point I have a full text search of all of the Discworld novels so if people want to suggest more relevant keywords that'll work too. I've looked through all the usual suspect quote sites. Can anybody remember what I'm thinking of or what book it might be from? I would have said Jingo, Fifth Elephant, or Monstrous Regiment but I can't help but suspect that it's just a wildcard anecdote in a completely unrelated one instead.

I think that was from one of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Heads up, there is a Humble Bundle with the complete collection of Discworld novels up now. Get the entire series for $18, have to get though Kobo.com however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Bundle of Holding has the GURPS DIscworld RPG bundle for $14.95. The bundle includes the GURPS Discworld Roleplaying Game as well as GURPS Low-Tech and GURPS Fantasy-Tech 1: The Edge of Reality as pdfs.