Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Snow Cone Capone posted:

My gripe with her is less gender than age. Most of Vetinari's appearances in Night Watch are as a teenage Assassin trainee. I believe present Vetinari only really appears in a couple of dialogue scenes with Vimes? (I definitely remember Vimes getting mad that Vetinari is wearing the lilac sprig).

I remember Vetinari doing them a massive solid I the end, after Vimes gets Carcer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

So, is it just me, or did it suddenly become impossible to ever adapt the Watch books?

A core tenet of the Watch books is that cops are bastards so...
I probably wouldn't adapt them NOW, mind, but it doesn't have to be forever I don't think

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Jedit posted:

But the Night Watch are only good because at first they have no power, and later because of Vimes. As soon as Fred Colon gets a sniff of authority he becomes a villain - albeit a very ineffectual one.

You could make Night Watch (the book) into a thing now I feel, with some liberties. Vimes as the idealistic officer who sees how much the Watch are bastards, and Keel as the cop who's learned from that and is... Well, a different sort of bastard.

Or there could be things with Thud!, although the very much racial tension in that would need to be very carefully handled.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Phenotype posted:

Vimes looks pretty good, I thought they really nailed the eternally rumpled look he's got in the books. Carrot is not bad either, although the actor has that Nordic look about him when I've always pictured Carrot as more square-jawed American-looking.

The rest of them may as well be entirely different characters. I can't be the first person to ask why on earth they cast Lady Sybil as skinny, twenties, and hot when they're still casting Vimes as a grizzled 40s-50s.

The picture in the last page with Carrot, Leonard, and Rincewind makes me think that John Cena would be great casting for Carrot. Dwayne Johnson too, but I love him in everything.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

De Worde assaulted the officer assigned to protect him.

Can we get a version of the events that is unbiased? :v:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Apparently filming for The Watch wrapped:

https://twitter.com/rhipratchett/status/1305507935787900928

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

BurgerQuest posted:

Vorbis is named after a Discworld character Exquisitor Vorbis in Small Gods by Sir Terry Pratchett. The Ogg format, however, is not named after Nanny Ogg, another Discworld character; the name is in fact derived from ogging, jargon that arose in the computer game Netrek.[11]

:(

Oh huh, I thought he'd named both characters after the format for some reason. Neat little tidbit.

Also Terry was the absolute nerd king, wasn't he?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

thetoughestbean posted:

The Truth butted up pretty hard with the Watch

I saw new covers for Discworld books at my job yesterday and I can’t say I care for them

Those look like they're books 3 and 4 in the Blood and Thorns Saga or something, where's the character?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

That's probably an actual Discworld book from a universe just slightly off from ours, yeah