Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

great big cardboard tube posted:

I just started discworld, finished the first 2 books and liked them a lot. Looks like I'm at the point where I have to choose whether to read the rest by publication date or jump around and follow specific character arcs to their ends?

Any recommendations which way is more enjoyable?

I'm almost at the end of my first read through (part way through Snuff at the moment)
I read in publication order and have really enjoyed seeing the disc grow and develop.
The books (mostly) occur in chronological order so ideas that appear in one book end up appearing in other books after that regardless of series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

I feel it would have been better if the writers had gone for a totally original story.
Having it set X years after Raising Steam would have allowed for swapping about some of the main characters with a "changing of the guard" style plot arc.
Anna Chancellor could have taken over from Vetinari and there could have been a running joke about keeping the title of Patrician, Ruth Madeley could have been a daughter C.M.O.T. didn't know about who then sets out to take on the family business etc.
Instead there looks to be a mishmash which will cause idiots to froth about "polical correctness gone too far" garbage, fans of the books not having things like they imagine it and other people having a go at the other groups for not accepting progress.
If that's what has been intentionally engineered then they've succeeded but it means nobody will focus on the writing and acting when it comes out.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

From the pictures I wish they'd drop the discworld title and just call it whatever post apocalyptic cyberpunk type show they clearly wanted it to be.

It looks interesting but not as a discworld

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Avalerion posted:

Is this even going for satire/comedy like the books?

It's being described as a "punk rock thriller"

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Night Watch was the first thing I thought of when I heard of the CHAZ

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Considering how likely they are to explode without forcing them to shoot fire it doesn't seem like a practical weapon

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Troll Bridge is back up on YouTube, and properly this time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7v_TdLviUE

Just finished watching this, seriously good job

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Of all the series, I think the Witches (including the Aching books) would work best as a live action adaption. Maybe skip Witches Abroad. Just shoot the whole thing in various parts of the UK, which also luckily happens to have a bunch of extremely good old female actors to draw a cast from. Do any studio work in Pinewood or Shepperton, use the London FX houses for the magic, job's a goodun.

Maggie Smith would make an excellent Granny Weatherwax

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

I'm still after my hard boiled egg

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Imagined posted:

Michael Sheen and David Tennant are up there with Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan in terms of buddy-pairs I'd watch doing literally anything together, and 'Good Omens' neatly got around the major issue of adapting Pratchett with heavy use of a narrator to literally read from the book, but still, the story is over. It's done. There doesn't need to be any more of it.

Staged is worth a watch if you haven't seen it already

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

There's a BBC radio drama of Good Omens from 2014 that's really good too.
The vinyl comes with some extra info from Neil Gaiman explaining how Terry really wanted to be in it but by that point his alzheimer's meant he counld read the script so he had to have someone read his lines for him and then they recorded him repeating them back (you can't tell this is the case in the final product)

Reminds me a bit of how Douglas Adams really wanted to be in Life, The Universe and Everything but died before it was made so Dirk Maggs (who also directed the Good Omens adaptation) took Agrajag's lines from the audio book version read by Douglas Adams and worked it into the radio version.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Jedit posted:

They're all already available in that format and have been for a little while.

E: https://www.discworldemporium.com/21-the-discworld-collector-s-library

Complete set barring The Last Hero is £529. The Bromeliad is also available separately in the same format.

Good Omens is in a similar cover though not quite the same. Still looks good on the shelf next to the rest of them

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

The packaging for the emporium is always great.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Jedit posted:

The most off key note in Snuff is that It's the only Discworld novel in which Death doesn't appear.

Ironic considering the title

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

I read them in publication order and enjoyed the progression of the world as Pratchett developed it in his mind.

At first I was going to skip the young adult books but that was the absolute wrongest idea.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

I'd enjoy that plot.

Also you can read in a dream? Whenever I try the words don't sit right and I get very frustrated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

mllaneza posted:

They're also some of his best work and best ideas. Anyone who has avoided them because of the YA thing? You don't want to miss these.

I nearly did but was warned not to skip them.

The Rough Music and the intro within the start of "I Shall Wear Midnight" is very dark and is incredibly impactful. Don't skip anything.