Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

MadDogMike posted:

Flashman kinda lost me in the first book though because he was a little TOO much of an rear end in a top hat. Granted I have a baseline dislike of unlikable protagonists (like the Eight Deadly Words say, "I don't care what happens to these people" is a killer thing, and making them jerks is a good step along the way there for me), but the guy's literally a rapist at one point. Others may not have as many issues with it (he does receive some karmic payback for the deed as I recall at least) but it irritated me enough when I tried the books I figure fair warning is due.

In the first book, Flashman is dark and somewhat angry, and if you're finding it so bleak that it's difficult to read I don't really blame you. The second book, and every subsequent book in the series is much more overtly comic. They're probably worse literature though... the first book has a point to make about the dysfunction of Empire and the nature of heroes, while the rest of them mostly just seem like entertaining romps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Ika posted:

I just noticed that the radio adaption of good omens doesn't appear to be region restricted. (At least it works here in Germany)

BBC Radio programs are never region restricted.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Kajeesus posted:

It had that weird orc plot that kind of came out of nowhere and didn't go anywhere. And the Patrician being weirdly obsessed with a random baker, to the point where he puzzles out her secret cheese and onion pie recipe. Other than that, its only crime was being British as git.

I still think it was odd that he did the book about goblins after the book where a major plot point is that a character is initially thought to be a goblin, but is later revealed to be an orc.

(I think prior to Unseen Academicals the only statement about Goblins in Discworld was "A goblin is a gnome while it is underground. A gnome is a goblin coming up for air" back in the Light Fantastic.)

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

I’d love if they got Paul Kidby to do a new illustrated Eric.

Last Hero is basically Kidby's Eric.

I feel like that one is pretty under discussed as well. By far the best appearance for Cohen, and maybe the best Rincewind book too.