Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Doctor Jeep posted:

this will be worse than the rook adaptation

Nah, the Rook show was cancelled just before it aired, cause they realised at the last minute that they took out all the fun and had an unappeaing mess on their hands. There's no way that they'd release the Rook without my favourite belgian monster-men featuring in a couple of awesome set pieces. That would make no sense and will somebody please tell me everything is going to be okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

I can’t find anything saying it’s been cancelled?

I’ve never heard of The Rook before now, but all the reviews seem to wail on it.

The Rook was cancelled before it aired.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

HIJK posted:

I liked the first Rook book, what happened to the adaptation?

No Bishops, no Grafters, Myfanwy's powers manifest differently, members of the court are aware immediately about her situation, and there is no drat fun.

On the upside? Gestalt was done pretty much perfectly. Although it has a romantic subplot with Myfanwy. As do a bunch of other characters.

That being said, the Rook series was cancelled, so no innocent Zarkovs were hurt by its release.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Unseen Academicals is miles better than both Snuff and Raising Steam (and Shepherd's Crown for that matter). It's not one of the better books, but I never understood the hate.

I bounced off of Snuff pretty hard the first time I read it, but it's slowly become something of a pleasure. The Riverboat sequence is one of my favourites, for reasons I can't quite articulate.

Raising Steam... look, I wanted to love it.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

I'm still confused that people are saying the slender lady with red hair is Sybil, when we all know Sybil is being played by Dawn French.

Please people. I need to keep believing this, just for a little while.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Testekill posted:

Give me Monstrous Regiment.

I 100% agree, but I don't know how you could cast it right without giving the whole game away or making a significant error.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Alhazred posted:

The whole game is pretty much given away at the start of the story. The fact that they're terrible at passing for men is a big part of the story.

Yeah, but if you only cast lady actors - as you should for the story - you'll give it away the second the cast is announced.

OR you only cast non-binary actors. It gives away the general secret, but doesn't necessarily tell you who is playing what.

Also, Asia Kate Dillon has been my choice to play Polly for a while now, so I'm just expanding on that.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Sourcery here, when I was waaay too young to get it. Mort a couple of years later.

If I had to recommend a starting book though, it's probably be Reaper Man or Mort.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Love or hate the Going Postal Adaptation, I'm pretty happy with their take on Angua.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Oh poo poo Billy bob Thornton as Nobby.
No wait, Steve buscemi as Nobby.
No wait...Walton goggins.nailed it.

Simon Pegg and Nick Frost for Nobby and Colon and I don't care you know in your hearts I am right

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

3D Megadoodoo posted:

e: Sandy Toksvig as Vimes.

If they can't get Dawn French for when they make a Discworld tv show, you''ve given me my second choice.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

immoral_ posted:

You could skip it and go to Mort, which is where it starts becoming more Discworld and less high-fantasy trope-a-thon.

Seconded. Mort is a great intro to the Disc.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

If it's a perfect adaptation of only one book, I think I'm going to go with Mort.

It's early enough that you don't need a ton of backstory.
It's a solid one shot story.
It's got enough of a romance that the studio won't ruin the movie/show by shoehorning one in.
It shows off Death, potentially Discworld's greatest character.
If it does well enough to earn a sequel, you've got Reaper Man/Soul Music right there.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Beachcomber posted:

They're together and very happy. :colbert:

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

CommonShore posted:

I just by that mean that The Shepherd's Crown is pleasurable and reading it should be something to look forward to and not to dread.

But once I read the Shepher's Crown, it's over. And I'm still not emotionally ready.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

I like to recommend Mort to people starting off. It's early in the publishing order, so they can choose to read on from there, and Death is one of the greatest selling points for the series for a lot of new readers. It also gets people nicely primed for Reaper Man, which remains one of my favourite Discworld books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

I feel Mort isn't the best Discworld book, but it might be the one I'd want to see given the movie treatment.