Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MolluskGoneBad
Feb 25, 2002
I'm surprised by all the love for Small Gods. It's one of my least favorites; it seemed really trite and a bit hamfisted.

Of course I also thought that Good Omens was obvious and the only really great parts were where it directly parodied "The Omen" and I think Gaiman's comic book output is hugely overrated.

Yeah, I agree that the Discworld books keep getting better. They're just as consumable as they used to be, but the humor in them seems to be getting meatier without getting as preachy or boring as it was in those middle years. I'm of two minds about Monstrous Regiment. The political commentary seemed a bit rough, but I thought it was awesome that he went the extra mile and made almost everyone into a woman. The almost instant reveal of the entire regiment was great; it gets you ready for a slow comic reveal of each character one-by-one, only perceived by the protagonist, and suddenly everyone gets outed in one go by someone else. There were a bunch of little moments like that, and I found myself liking the book almost in spite of my better judgment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU