Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Randy Marsh posted:

Can you give me a chronological list of the Vimes books? I've read a few Discworld books, but I only enjoyed Night Watch, so I'd love to read that arc in full.

http://www.lspace.org/books/reading-order-guides/the-discworld-reading-order-guide-1-5.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is very good.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Krinkle posted:

Just finished rereading men at arms. What did vetinari mean about "politician"? I'm looking it up on dictionary.com but it keeps linking to other words. Does it mean "guy who personifies the city" or "city boss" or something? Word origins should be easier to find than this.

Where policeman means man of the city, I just want a phrase like that to wrap it up. I remember looking in vain last time for answers, too.

http://www.wordinfo.info/words/index/info/view_unit/1035

The 'polis' root is the some in both I would think.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Something about the first thief stealing fire from the gods, but being unable to fence it because it was too hot. Then there is a nested footnote saying that he got burned on that deal.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I just picked up a signed one tonight as well. :hellyeah:

My boss is out of the office tomorrow so I know what I'll be doing all day at work. :)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mukaikubo posted:

There is an extremely funny set of scenes in the book. They involve clockwork toys. "Toys", as in, "Toys" you may possibly find in a shop of ill-repute. I am desperately attempting to describe this circumspectly.

"A clockwork device of an intimate nature." :) The best part is when it is vibrating Mr. Fussypants forwards and backwards across the floor during the trial.

I also like how the patrician always specifies that here is no rush when requesting a meeting. :)

It made me want to go back and re-read Going Postal.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
My signed one was even 30% off.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Krinkle posted:

I want an all assassins book :colbert:

The one with the tooth fairy is the most assassin-y probably, but it's pretty DEATH-y too.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Clearly he wants you to have as many wives as the market will bear.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Isn't there some proverb about how if you manage to get a donkey up a minaret then you still have to get him back down? Something to do with how being able to complete only one difficult task is often not enough.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
As good an introduction as any. Be forewarned though, all of Pratchett's books will be absolutely nothing at all like Jordan's.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Speaking of Nation, does anyone have any info on what it's about? Just by the name I'm guessing it's going to have a lot of stealth-philosophy in it.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/books/meeting-mr-pratchett/2007/02/15/1171405371862.html?page=fullpage posted:

"You'll be the first to know," he says. "The next book was going to be that one; but there's a book I've been wanting to write for about four years.

"Is it Discworld?" he asks, anticipating the question, and answers: "Not necessarily. At the moment I'm just writing. If it needs to be Discworld it will be Discworld. It could be set in this world 150 years ago while still more or less being a fantasy. The codename for it is Nation."

So if it's set 150 years in the past, is Nation going to be in the same vein as Monstrous Regiment?

"You're fishing," he says firmly.

It's too early to talk about the nuts and bolts. But he does say Nation is going to be for kids, bought by adults.

"Monstrous Regiment wasn't for kids anyway," he adds.

No, I say. I was thinking in terms of going back in history. Nation, nationalism, this all makes me think of Jingo, I say.

"I'm pleased to say," he replies triumphantly, "that you're haring off along an entirely different direction. You're in the right desert but the wrong tent."

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Oh no. :(

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think Lancre is just generic British-Isle hillbilly with no particular cultural cultural origin.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Finns aren't allowed to call anyone else's language bizarre.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
:monocle:

Holy poo poo.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mokinokaro posted:

Well, finished Thud! and now I'm kind of sad that I won't be reading new Vimes adventures, at least for a long while.

Reaper Man's up next. Are the Rincewind or Witches novels worth picking up?

Absolutely not, don't waste your time.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Sherlock Holmes came back from that.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I thought it was funny that another character was confirming that the guy was actually saying --ing out loud.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Doug posted:

So what's the scoop on Small Gods? After reading back a few pages it seems to come highly recommended. I tried searching on Amazon and it said a new copy was $85(!!!). Then I looked at the library, and they have the audiobook but not the novel. Am I looking for this the wrong way or is it out of print or what's the deal?

It is printed using paper and inks of the finest quality.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's crazy but it just might work.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Amazon.com says the kindle version will be more expensive than the hardback version. :argh:

Though there is something to be said for shipping it all the way from Jolley Olde Englande for the cooler cover.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

bitterandtwisted posted:

Does the US version have the same cover?

It probably has some cartoons. :-/

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Just noticed that Unseen Academicals is $9.99 on the kindle store now.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
*crickets chirping*

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
How come that works in Firefox on my laptop but not in Safari on my iPod Touch connected to the same wifi network? The Safari version is UK-only apparently?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Bluemillion posted:

Nac mac Feegle!

Oh lord, how I love those cow stealing little turds.

They steal ships.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Tiffany + Harry fanfic

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah read stuff in the order it was written.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Garage sale or yard sale if it is one household, rummage sale if it is several, or flea market if it is lots of people selling stolen poo poo in one place.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Scan it and post it on the internet.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I will gladly keep mediocre book covers in exchange for not having to kiss the queen's rear end.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Fascists (or similar) in general make pretty good bad guys.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
European people are pushovers for that kind of authority.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Probably it is safe to ignore the opinions of anyone who didn't like Small Gods.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What a goon.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
He stayed inside the lines too!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
He was about 1000x chattier than he was in any of the previous books.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
From Terry's Facebook, due out on June 7:

withak fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Again from Facebook, to be released this fall sometime: