Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NastyPBears
May 2, 2003

Robots don't say "ye"
In Jingo did anyone else think he was doing Lovecraft (when the island first appears and he is talking about weird non-human statues or something, it has been a while) only to be disappointed?

Not that the book is anything less than great. I think it is the first one where we learn that Vimes' butler Willikins is secretly hard as gently caress. He is my favourite cameo type character - I love him in Thud after the dwarfs break in to Vimes' cellar when he is all "I regret to say I was forced to deal somewhat strictly with them. I fear one might be dead"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NastyPBears
May 2, 2003

Robots don't say "ye"

Capn_Marrrrk posted:

I recall reading somewhere that Lancre is based on the region (and it's size) where Pterry grew up, but with more cliffs.

Yeah, they do have Morris Dancers, aren't they an English rather than British thing?

NastyPBears
May 2, 2003

Robots don't say "ye"
I prefer Tony Robinson as well...

Mostly because Nigel Planner can't do accents, which I found hugely distracting.

NastyPBears
May 2, 2003

Robots don't say "ye"

DontMockMySmock posted:

I enjoyed Monstrous Regiment and ISWM too, I just know that they've gotten some hate in this thread.

The positive comments on this page made me re-read it. It was the only adult Discworld book I'd only read once.

I remembered it like "and here's another suprise" - but it wasn't like that at all, it was hugely enjoyable and he doesn't hit you over the head with the "twists".

I've also listened to a few of the audio books and they are good, but what are they playing at with the accents? Glenda in Unseen Academicals is Welsh but people who grew up in the same neighbourhood are mockneys...how did that happen? And isn't Welsh reserved for Llamedos?

NastyPBears
May 2, 2003

Robots don't say "ye"
Oh I agree totally, it was just I remembered it as hamfisted for some reason.

I hadn't read it since 2003/4 and if anyone else is in the same boat I'd recommend picking it up again...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NastyPBears
May 2, 2003

Robots don't say "ye"
I can't remember the book, but before they're married Sam goes to see Sybil's lawyer who after all the talk about assets, makes some comment about Sybil coming from good baby making stock.

He phrases it a bit euphemistically but he is obviously trying to make Sam think about fatherhood.