Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

icenode
May 23, 2003

Grishny groshny grooo!
I'd say The Truth and Thud were possibly among my favourites, though "improving" is a fairly simple way of looking at it. I'd say his earlier books were funnier (Mort, Witches Abroad, Small Gods), though his latest are arguably slightly... cleverer (oh god, I really did just type that). Does that make sense? Books like Masquerade, Jingo and Hogfather were real duds though - I guess after so many books they can't all be great. He's certainly still on form, I think that's easy to agree with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icenode
May 23, 2003

Grishny groshny grooo!

bobula posted:

Jingo and Hogfather are two of my favorites, and I really like Maskerade too. :O Really, I'd switch the ones you listed as liking for these. Except Small Gods. Small Gods can stay.

I don't think anyone in their right minds can diss Small Gods, it's stand alone excellence. I don't know, the ones I/you mentioned just didn't amuse or interest me, hard to put a finger on why I was so unimpressed.

Actually, another odd one out is probably The Last Continent. A decent Rincewind story, but about twice as funny if you actually lived in Australia due to all the clever references.

Pyramids was a mess incidentally, however it also had the finest intro to a Pratchett book where he spends pages describing how the main character's getting garbed in assassin gear, blades blackened with lamp soot, caltrops and so on, only for him to promptly fall over. Masterful. :)

icenode fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 28, 2007