Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Ferrinus posted:

Everyone says Monstrous Regiment is bad but really it was good :(

If nothing else Monstrous Regiment showed just how fun a book would be about other character interacting with Vimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

PresterJohn posted:

The Marquise of Fantailler Rules, which largely consisted of a list of places people weren't allowed to hit him.

To visualize it, imagine an early 1890’s man with a wax mustache trying to box while holding hands in front of him, knuckles facing the other person. Its like that, or that is always how I’ve read it.

It’s like that SNL Skit with Conan O’Brien where he is pretending to be the first white man to box a black guy.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Also, I'm for reading books in publication order, I can't see why you want to do it any other way.

There are a couple of reasons. As people already stated, some times they only like certain characters and really do not like others. So reading only about your favorite characters track does make sense.

And really, I do think it speaks extremely well of a author that not only can each book be read individually, but each character track can be read without having to read the others.

Through it is fun to read them in publish order and slowly watch the city grow and change. (I really think the more we have gotten to see of Vetinari the less of hardass he's been.)

PS Moist, where did you find the art work for your avatar?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Sulevis posted:

I'm still holding out for a Susan/Lobsang/Death book. :colbert:

Which could happen, depending on how you read the last part of Thief of Time.

Was that perfect movement Lobsang surprise kissing Susan? It was already implied that Susan can't have a relationship with any one completely mortal so another humanized aspect would work out for her.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

thrakkorzog posted:

I think it's because Nanny and Granny suffer a bit from Rincewind syndrome. Their characters can't really change, so they're a bit limited in their narrative conflicts. Granny Weatherwax is never going to see the error of her ways and decide to stop messing with people's heads. They've already made peace with themselves, the gods, and nature, so they're pretty much limited to Man vs. Man or Man vs. Society conflicts. They can either go out into the world and fight something, (Witches Abroad, Maskerade) or stay home and fight some external threat. (Lords and Ladies, Carpe Jugulum)

This doesn't mean I dislike the characters, just that a lot of storytelling paths are blocked by their nature.

Of course one of my favorite jokes is the scene in Maskerade with Nanny blending in with a crowd, standing around shouting, "Rhubarb, rhubarb!"

The great part is that I believe Pratchett realizes this created new characters for his series. We've already gotten two novels out of Moist Von Lipwing so at least Pratchett is always willing to try new things and different types of characters.

Me, through, I'm hoping for a Night Watch Charlie's Angels spoof with Angua,Sally and Cheri.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Wormophile posted:

Granny infected them with her blood and they freaked the gently caress out. I think.

Pretty much, the whole "you have to obey the blood" worked both ways. Granny iron will of always obeying the rules brought the vampires back to their extremely powerful but extremely stupid style of life.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Helena Handbasket posted:

This is a weird little question, but maybe this thread has ideas about it. What's the story with Constable "Kipper" Haddock? He's the officer (moonlighting as a security guard) on the scene when Moist breaks into the vault in Making Money, he's around here and there in Thud!, and he's the one who intercepts Trev Likely in Unseen Academicals.

It's odd to have a named recurring character with such minimal characterization. Is he just go-to extra guy for when the regular Watch cast needs more people? Is it because the Watch regulars can't just fill the role of street-level law enforcement in other stories without dragging their own stories behind them? It seems like there's plenty of other officers who could step into the role. I was wondering if any other readers had caught something about the character that I hadn't.

It could just be a simple way to connect all the books together and make sure Constable are not just seen a faceless beings when dealing with non-Watch books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Quizitastrix posted:

Wait Lady Ramkin is Sybil. That just occurred to me! I guess it's another one of those things where she seems so different in this novel than in the others. In Guards! Guards! she's described as like eight feet tall, a paragon of noble breeding who cows men around her with a glance but who is also almost Aveline from Dragon Age when it comes to men. And since so few details were put forward for her in the later books I guess I just created another lady Sybil who was...very different!

Because this how Vimes first see's her, not the actual person she really is later on in the series. You'll notice that as a character Vimes is very well aware of class lines and what he feels his place in them is. (If nothing else as a constant source of anger when nobility think they are above justice.) I really do like through how Vimes describes "The Voice of Nobility" (Carrot basically has it too) that gets every one to stiffen up for what ever is about to come next.

BexGu fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 29, 2011