Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

icenode posted:

I'd say The Truth and Thud were possibly among my favourites, though "improving" is a fairly simple way of looking at it. I'd say his earlier books were funnier (Mort, Witches Abroad, Small Gods), though his latest are arguably slightly... cleverer (oh god, I really did just type that).

I would mostly agree with that, except the Girls-Night-Out scene in Thud is probably the funniest thing he's ever written.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Nomenklatura posted:

Oh, and the "productive theory of labour"? Yeah, that's Marx. No, sorry, Marx. Maybe Smith earlier, but 9 out of 10 economists agree: if you're into LtoV, you're probably a Marxist. They'd also note that Pratchett stepped squarely into the lump-of-labour fallacy, but that's besides the point. It's the Discworld, not Samuelson's Economics.

Sorry, but the political philosophy he's playing with in Making Money is clearly Adam Smith's. The whole thing is a parody and examination of Industrial Revolution capitalism, it's Smith from beginning to end.

More on-topic, I hope he doesn't go back to Vimes for quite a while. The Vimes arc seemed pretty much complete after Fifth Elephant and the next two (whilst really good) felt a bit like they were dragging things out. I'd like him to bring back Rincewind for nostalgia's sake.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Surprised about the criticism of Soul Music in here. It is definitely a parody-heavy book, but that isn't a bad thing when the parody is observed as perfectly as it is there. I've always thought of it as one of his strongest books - it's definitely one of the ones I've seen the highest appreciation for in wider literary circles.

I was disappointed by UA first time through, but it went up a lot in my estimation on second reading. I think it is a return to a greater amount of parody than he's had in his other recent books - parody of football, academia, celebrity culture. I would say it's the genuinely funniest book he's published in quite a while, and definitely the most satirical.

Some of the lines and wordplay are among his best too

"Glenda was taken aback and affronted at the same time, which was a bit of a squeeze"

"Glenda never normally read the leader column because there was only a certain number of times she was prepared to see the word 'however' used in a 120-word article."

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Anna Chancellor is great casting as Vetinari, though I’m not sure how it works with the timeline. They must be changing it quite a lot so old Vetinari is a bigger character.