Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aaron Burr
Mar 7, 2004

President of the Republic of Louisiana, 1808-1816

Nilbop posted:

Him and Angua. Terry's been less than subtle about that from time to time, particularly in the Art of Discworld book which collects lots of lovely Paul Kidby art. This makes me rather unhappy because, while I'm not too attached to Angua, if she pops it this is going to gently caress up Carrot and his sphere of Perfect Vision, which isn't really something I want happening.

Oh, but he also implies that if Vetinari does ever cop it there will likely be a struggle for power ended with Carrot taking the throne. Hell, it'd be just about the only thing that'd stop the city from tearing itself apart. You only really get a sense of just how integral Vetinari is to the city from about Jingo onward. It'd be a scary(er, er) place without him around.

I think it's about time for a balls-out Angua-centric book to finally settle her poo poo. The Fifth Elephant was close but no cigar. It ends yet again on that 'I love him and I'll stay ... for now' note. Serious literary blueballs there.

You know if Pratchett ever writes the Post-Vetinari scramble for 3/4 of the book it'll look like Carrot will take the throne, then there'll be some twisty left-field resolution to the problem. Perhaps Vimes would be talked into becoming Patrician with Carrot as a good-natured eminence gris. Which would be great, because we all want more books full of Vimes maundering about his demons and duties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aaron Burr
Mar 7, 2004

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It says they're specially bound editions from the publisher so they probably just sat him down in a room last time he was at Harper Collins and had him sign a couple hundred front pages so they could charge a bit more for them.

This seems to be A Thing in publishing now, though when I got a signed copy of The Yiddish Policeman's Union there wasn't any difference in price.

Aaron Burr
Mar 7, 2004

Nomenklatura posted:

The man is the living, breathing, Discworld version of a Randroid. If he turned out to be a liar, a cheat, and a pirate, and was soundly beaten and humiliated by (what amounts to) a politician, that is because Terry Pratchett is serving notice of how he feels about their ilk, and if it drives them to this level of denial, so much the better.
Actually, the Discworld has become one of the most brilliant and most comprehensive commentaries on modern society out there. That's why it's popular; He's brilliant, and it's brilliant, because it reminds people of the world they live in, while at the same time being drawn in broad enough strokes that everybody can get it.

Well, almost everybody.

Your interpretation is interesting. Your insistence that it is the only interpretation is stupid. And stop insulting people.

Aaron Burr
Mar 7, 2004

mistermojo posted:

wow really, I can see how "guns are bad" and "women should be in the military!" are brilliant commentaries on modern society

You have certainly boiled down Pratchett's work to the essentials without losing any nuanced subtleties, yes sir.

Aaron Burr
Mar 7, 2004

Bonus posted:

Anyway, I sort of dislike Carrot. He was cool in the first book but then he just became some sort of Ankh-Morpork god and I think Pratchett goes overboard with everyone instantly liking him, doing as he says, blah blah, it's kind of boring.

I think there's fertile ground to explore when a sufficiently nasty villain shows up who's absolutely unaffected by Carrot's K'risma.

Then again, that pretty much happened at the end of Fifth Elephant - and seeing Carrot get his rear end handed to him by a werewolf was a very satisfying moment.

Aaron Burr
Mar 7, 2004

Krinkle posted:

what did Vimes call the Queensbury rules? The "put up your dukes" fancy prancing that old timey boxers use? The ones that Carrot tried to use and had his arm broken?

The Marquise of Fantailler Rules, which largely consisted of a list of places people weren't allowed to hit him.

Aaron Burr
Mar 7, 2004

Vernon T. Waldrip from O Brother Where Art Thou? is a master of Marquise of Fantailler combat.

Aaron Burr
Mar 7, 2004

Calenth posted:

I disagree with the guy above who said Moving Pictures was the worst discworld novel ... The worst discworld novel was Monstrous Regiment

Hey you're both wrong; the worst discworld novel is Eric.

Or maybe people's tastes differ.

Aaron Burr
Mar 7, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

What's wrong with Eric?

Maybe. People's. Tastes. Differ.

Aaron Burr
Mar 7, 2004

Grum posted:

Yeah but what's wrong with Eric?

I didn't like it. I liked Moving Pictures more. I liked Monstrous Regiment much more than either.

I could come up with a bunch of elaborate justifications but either your tastes match mine and you don't care or your tastes diverge and you'll take issue with whatever I come up with so what's the point?

Aaron Burr
Mar 7, 2004

To tie all this discussion back to the thread title, I think there's a shift early in the series from parody-gag books to character-driven stories. I believe Mort and Sourcery are transitional books (the earlier of the two being better, oddly) and by Wyrd Sisters the change is complete. Rincewind, Death, and Granny Weatherwax are the only major characters who bridge the gap. I think while Granny Weatherwax and Death expanded and changed significantly, there's only so much that can be done with Rincewind. He's an intrinsically flat character. Later on Pratchett can add some interest by adding other characters to a Rincewind book: Cohen and the Silver Horde in Interesting Times, the UU staff in The Last Continent, and basically everybody in The Last Hero.

In my opinion Eric represents a throwback to the earliest Discworld books. It doesn't have really developed characters and relies on the here's-a-gag, here's-another-gag format of The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic. Plus the hell and demons content smacks of "Stuff Terry thought up while writing Good Omens that Neil didn't want in the book."

Aaron Burr
Mar 7, 2004

thrakkorzog posted:

I'm just wondering if the humor of the wizards acting like wizards is worth reading through chem/physics/bio 101 type stuff.

Picture all the good parts of The Last Continent. That's what the story sections of the Science books are like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aaron Burr
Mar 7, 2004

Pope Guilty posted:

Didn't Pterry have a line about how there's no continutity errors, only multiple continuities that are slightly different, or something like that?

Not all Discworld stories occur in the exact same leg of the Trousers of Time.