Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
They really, really need to make a series of films based on the Guards books because quite frankly they're awesome and more people should be exposed to Vimes and the rest of the Watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
In Hogfather, the Auditors hire an assassin to kill the Hogfather because he doesn't fit their idea of a perfect universe. Teatime is selected because he's loving crazy, crazy enough to come up with a plan to take out anthropomorphic personifications. He ends up taking over the Tooth Fairy realm and using the teeth collected from children (old magic, the oldest magic there is) to make them stop believing in the Hogfather, killing him. Death takes over the roll of the Hogfather because it's a job that must be done or else the sun won't rise (or so he says) and Susan gets drawn into everything because after all she's his granddaughter and that's just how these stories work.

That's the short of it, there's more but I won't go into it unless you want me to.

As for Monstrous Regiment, if you realize the title is taken from this it makes the ending less unbelievable.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Neil Gaiman has used Death as a character in some of the comics he's written. He's also writing/directing a movie staring the same character.

And if you liked Mort I suggest checking out Reaper Man because it's probably one of the best Death books.

edit: The more I think on it, the more I realize that the Discworld books are probably the most influential thing I've read when it comes to my thoughts on religion and death and I don't know if that's a good thing or not.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Hrolf Pyjama posted:

I love Pratchett, but he's got that Wodehousian trait of rehashing plots with different names and settings. I didn't see much of a difference between Lords and Ladies and Carpe Jugulum, for example.

One is about elves, one is about vampires :v:

edit: Speaking of rehashing plots Making Money comes out on the 18th, which is next Tuesday.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Sep 13, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

bullshit sunrise posted:

The watch is cool, but I'd really like another witches book. I love Nanny Ogg.

I think it's kinda odd that there's been a couple recent books where the post office is (re)invented, and the newspaper, and those get integrated into the Discworld, but stuff from earlier books like movies and rock music is this big evil that gets destroyed and never talked about again.

Vetinari references the events of Moving Pictures in The Truth, actually. He summons William and asks him if the printing press is going to unleash a giant monster on the city like the movies did.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Tomorrow is the release date for Making Money but I swung by the book store earlier tonight and the woman was stocking new stuff on the shelves and they had a bunch of signed copies so I scooped one up and I'm gonna start it tonight.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Unless Albany, NY was up and moved to the UK when I wasn't looking last night then yes, I am in America. But I'm not sure about the extra u's yet.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
It says they're specially bound editions from the publisher so they probably just sat him down in a room last time he was at Harper Collins and had him sign a couple hundred front pages so they could charge a bit more for them.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
No, the Book House in Stuyvesant Plaza. They had, I think, 5 copies when I was there on Monday, not counting the one I bought, so there's probably some still there.

I'm sure the Borders in Crossgates has copies though.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Well that's the price for supporting an independent bookstore then.

edit: It wasn't any more expensive than normal, I guess I just assumed it would be for some reason.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Vetinari wasn't the Patrician in the first two books :argh:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I think Sorcery and Equal Rites are the only two books I'm not a giant fan of, simply because it's pretty obvious that Pratchett wasn't planning on having the series go on as long as it did and the stuff that happens feels out of place compared to the rest of them. Although I did like the call back to Sorcery in one of the later Wizard books, I think the Patrician asks the facility about when the Wizards tried to take over the world.

One of my favorite parts of Making Money was when the Patrician was discussing the latest crossword with Drumknot and mentioned that only 5 or 6 other people knew the answer to a question, one of them being a pet store owner and Vetinari tells him to keep an eye on it since no one who could get that answer could be satisfied with just a pet shop for too long.

I can't remember the exact wording but the one line that really killed me was something like "Rumors are like mushrooms; they both grow in the dark and on bullshit."

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
The Tiffany Aching books are some of my favorites that Pratchett has written and everyone who likes Discworld should read them. I hope that movie actually happens, it could be really awesome if it's done correctly.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

toliman posted:

honestly, i have no real feeling for the aching series at all, and i can't recall wintersmith at all. somehow it got jumbled up with the summer and winter fairies of the dresden files, and i don't think i'd want to go back and read it again to clear that up. it's just so utterly disconnected to what id expect to be reading from pratchett, i keep waiting for someone to step in and break the whole thing up or integrate it somehow, make it fit in some fashion instead of a clunking great obtuse story skimming off discworld's literary gravity.

I tried making sense of this and I honestly have no idea what you're talking about, how is the story of Wintersmith obtuse? And how can you say Wintersmith is disconnect from the rest of the series and then go on and praise Monstrous Regiment, one of the least connected books he's written in the last decade?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Enfenestrate posted:

I don't think he was in Wee Free Men. I can't find my copy to confirm this, but Wikipedia agrees with me.

That's cause the Feegle don't believe in Death :colbert:

But yeah, that's the only book.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Ferrinus posted:

Also Monstrous Regiment was pretty well connected to the world in general since Vimes and Angua and Reg Shoe and William de Worde were in it :colbert:

The main story and the main characters of Monstrous Regiment weren't related to anything going on in Discworld (and haven't showed up again since) while the Elves playing a major part in the story of Wee Free Men, along with Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg showing up at the end. My point was that it's kind of ridiculous to criticize Wee Free Men for somehow being disconnected from the rest of the series and then praise Monstrous Regiment in the same sentence.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
No, they're really really similar and I don't know why/how he ended up doing that.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, Hogfather is only 19.99 at Borders, I picked it up the other day and only been able to watch part of the first half but so far it's been a really good adaptation. I'm sure someone who has no idea what Discworld is wouldn't enjoy it as much but I think it's great.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
If he ever gets around to writing Unseen Academicals it would revolve around the Wizards and University.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
The vampires at the end of Carpe Jugulum don't just run away. Magrat traps the Countess in a jar when she's trying to sneak under a door as mist and throws it into the river. The Count gets his head severed by Mightily Oats and Granny has the townspeople bring him down to the crypts to recover because she says that they need vampires around to remind them what stakes and garlic are for. The old Count Magpyr takes the two kids with him to teach them how to act like proper vampires.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

LooseChanj posted:

Bill Pullman as Vimes all around. I haven't met Moist yet, but The Truth is in my to-read pile. I'm eager to get to it, I haven't seen a new arc in bloody ages.

Moist isn't in The Truth, the main character in that is William de Worde.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Tain posted:

How did the other two fare? I'm hoping Going Postal will be a good watch.

Hogfather was a really close adaption of the book and had pretty decent effects for a made for TV production. The main complaint I've heard about Hogfather is accent the actor who plays Teatime used.

I haven't see Color of Magic yet but the main thing I remember people bitching about was the Patricians voice. Apparently he speaks with a slight lisp which is an homage to the way Pratchett speaks but some people disliked it.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I couldn't watch those videos linked a few posts ago since I'm not in the UK, does he mention anything about writing more Discworld books or is he going to stop?

e: Apparently they're gonna show The Color of Magic in the US on March 22nd on Ion.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Feb 11, 2009

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Mokinokaro posted:

He's writing the Tiffany Aching series which are discworld books.

Sweet, those are actually my favorite books as of late.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Pope Guilty posted:

My personal reality does not allow for the existence of a worse book than The Last Continent. The first bad Simpsons episode is the one where they go to Australia and it's 22 minutes of "AUSTRALIA LOL". The Last Continent is pretty much that in Pratchett form, and it's painful.

You missed the joke in The Simpsons episode if you think it's just that.

It's also one of the best episodes.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Pope Guilty posted:

Is this like where idiots say that Carlos Mencia isn't making racist jokes, he's making fun of racist jokes?

The whole reason they picked Australia to make fun of was because they felt Australians were laid back enough to find the extremely over the top jokes too absurd to be offensive. But I guess saying Australians drink a lot of beer is a racist joke :rolleyes:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I really wish something did come of that rumored Wee Free Men movie, especially with Sam Raimi involved.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Thief of Time is one of his best stories, in my opinion. All of the Wen the Eternally Surprised bits are awesome, the History Monks are one of my favorite concepts in the whole series. Plus Deja Fu.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
It's definitely a fish, unless they changed it in the American edition for some reason.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Oh I am smart.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I Shall Wear Midnight is the rumored title.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Just a bump to let anyone else interested to know that The Color of Magic is coming out on DVD next week.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Apparently the next movie they're making is Going Postal.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
So The Color of Magic showed up today and I've watched it and it's actually a really good adaptation of the first two books even with the changes they made to the story. I know there were a lot of people who wanted someone younger to play Rincewind but I think David Jason does a great job. And while I'm sure most of us assumed that Twoflower wasn't American, Sean Astin works really well. There's even a Lord of the Rings reference which I was not expecting and made me laugh pretty hard.

Even though it was only $12 on amazon I really enjoyed it. Will buy the gently caress out of Going Postal even though it won't be over here until 2010 :911:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
They were banished from the Fairy Realm for being drunks and stealing, I think.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Mokinokaro posted:

It's worse than Last Continent.

Last Continent rules, there's a rainbow stick in it.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I stopped by Borders during work and the guy at the info desk said they have it in the store but can't sell it until Tuesday, fuckkkk.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I'm only about 1/3 of the way through at the moment but Dr. Hix is the best new character, I imagine he looks and talks like Dr. Orpheus but with the appropriate Anhk-Morporkian accent.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Best addition to the UU faculty then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Off the top of my head, I think Unseen Academicals has the most references to other books in it out of all of them. You've got Vimes, Rincewind, William de Worde, a cameo by the Low King, Mr. Shine references, a Moist reference, a Reverend Oats reference, a Small Gods reference, a Moving Pictures reference, and I'm sure a bunch of others I can't think of at 6:30 in the morning.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Oct 15, 2009