Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

Okay, if we're asking for cameos in Unseen Academicals, I didn't spot Mr Shine. Where did we see him?

Nutt says that when he was living with Lady Margolotta he would sneak around the castle in the hidden passages and at one point he mentions seeing a troll made of diamond come visit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Don't eat the green wobbly bit.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Kynetx posted:

I'm sad that the next book will be a witches book. Those always bored me to tears.

Are you crazy the Tiffany Aching books are some of the best he's written.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
My roommates have been watching Dead Like Me and it makes me wanna reread the Death books.

LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN? :unsmith:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I was in Cub/Boy Scouts for like 13 years and would be very interested to see what Pratchett has to say about the organization. Even if it's a fantasy version with rock monsters.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I'm probably going to get a kindle soon and that means I'm going to start replacing my book collection because it takes to too much space so would anyone be interested in the Discworld books I replace? I was just going to bring them to a thrift store but I'd much rather give them to someone who wants them instead. We'd need to discuss details but I've got everything from Color of Magic through Thief of Time in paperback, I'll probably keep the hardcovers for now though.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Mister Roboto posted:

I would gladly give them a good home.

Nilbop posted:

Sure I'd love one or two.

Ok, I'll get in touch with you guys once I actually get a kindle. Which should be Sunday since they're going to start selling them at Target.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Mister Roboto is there any way I can contact you outside of this thread to discuss sending you some of my books?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Alright I sent you an email.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
To the people I talked to RE: sending you some books, I've been busy but I'm going to try and mail them out tomorrow/Monday.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I still got some books I'm looking to unload. If ya'll are interested lemme know.

Reaper Man
Small Gods
Hogfather
The Fifth Elephant
Jingo
Witches Abroad
Soul Music
Men at Arms
Feet of Clay (words in the heart cannot be taken)
Lords and Ladies

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Nothing, just treat them nice.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I grew up like 5 miles from that place.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Tarezax I can mail you Small Gods but I need an address and you don't have PMs so uh, email me at with it.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 14, 2010

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Ok I need to apologize to the people I said I'd mail books to, I have the all wrapped up and addressed but I have not been able to get to the post office in while and so they've sat in a pile next to my bed. But I have tomorrow off and I should have my car back (it's in the shop, ugh) and I'll hit up the post office with the automatic shipping machine if I can get there before close for some reason.

That being said I still got five more books left for grabs:

Hogfather
Men at Arms
Feet of Clay
The Last Continent
Jingo

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Mister Roboto posted:

Got account back!

If no one else asks, I will gladly take those and give them to a good home with multiple fans.

They're all yours, send me your details

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 4, 2010

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I'm so pumped for I Shall Wear Midnight, I think the Tiffany Aching books are some of the best he's written and Wee Free Men is a freaking masterpiece.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I finished I Shall Wear Midnight and looks like Tiff is all grown up.:unsmith:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
That issue is addressed a bunch of times and it's a believable and real reason as to why things turn out the way they do.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Yessssssssss.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I Shall Wear Midnight was awesome what are you talking about?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

seaborgium posted:

I didn't really hate it, to me it just didn't seem to fit all that well with the rest of the books.

If not for the stuff in I Shall Wear Midnight I'd agree but that turned it around a bit.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Man if they don't get Alan Rickman in that I will be very disappointed.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Nilbop posted:

I can't find the response anywhere but I'll set you up for it with Death's appeal;

Yes.

e: YES.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
So why does Esk as a character turn ISWM into 'fanfiction.net poo poo'? If you haven't read Equal Rites you wouldn't know who the character was and wouldn't catch the few references to Sorcery so what's the real complaint? I am curious and would like a little more explanation for that criticism as I've seen it before in this thread and I don't really know what it's supposed to mean.

I thought UA was kind of meh, it seemed to be building up to something bigger and there wasn't much payoff. And Making Money was too similar to Going Postal and the characters seemed to know that, it felt like there was no real conflict. I still enjoyed reading both of them though and I'm invested enough in the world that I'll keep reading them for as long as they're being written.

Unless his daughter takes over and fucks it all up in which case all bets are off, but I'll read whatever Terry writes.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
But she's the one who lets older Tiffany talk to herself so unless that's supposed to just happen by itself (and it can because it's magic but if you want to be that reductive then why are you reading this stuff in the first place?) so she does have a purpose. And again, unless you've read those books (most of us probably have but not everyone) the references fly over your head and mean nothing.

e: And the lack of conflict is what makes Making Money so boring, it's like Moist is just going through the motions and knows how to solve everything in one go because the plot tells us he knows how to solve everything. I honestly can't remember who the bad guy in that book is and by contrast I can recall the villains/conflict of every other Discworld book off of the top of my head.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Aug 16, 2011

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Mister Roboto posted:

Who was the villain of Soul Music?

The music itself, it tries to get Buddy to become a rockstar and almost kills him. And Susan is involved and Death plays the guitar at the end.

e: No I did not look that up, seriously.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Mister Roboto posted:

Gotta disagree with you there, friend. Buddy was SUPPOSED to die in a brawl, but the music kept him alive because IT wanted to stay alive. And then it (somewhat) voluntarily left him alone when it'd fulfilled its purpose of being heard.

Possibly the least villainous force the entire series has encountered, as it didn't really harm him so much as turn him into your typical Rock Star Junky.

Doesn't Death show up and start playing his guitar because the music-with-rocks-in-it is the song of chaos that will destroy the disc?

Anyway that is beyond the point, which was that I can recall the major source of conflict in books that I haven't read in probably 7 years but I don't really remember what was going on in Making Money and I read that 3 years ago when it was published. I remember the golems at the end, Moist burying them as an insurance policy so other cities/countries won't attack AM but I can't remember why there was any tension in the first place.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Because some people who haven't read the whole series have popped up in this thread and I don't want to potentially ruin anything for them.

Also thanks for the refresher.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I thought the story did a good job with the relationship between Tiffany and Roland. Pratchett has hit on this kind of thing before with Cohen the Barbarian when he meets up with Rincewind in one of the books. What happens once the monsters are gone and it's just two people in a relationship?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
It took me like a while into one of the Harry Potter books (the fifth or sixth one) to figure out what snogging meant and even then the word kinda grosses me out.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Is the kindle version released at the same time as the hard cover? I read I Shall Wear Midnight on my kindle last year but I can't remember if I had to wait before I got it.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
The first book also has some of the best stuff he's written in it, mainly the way Tiffany remembers the legend of her grandma and when she shows up dressed as Little Bo Peep at the end made me tear up the first time I read it. There's this sense of awkwardness I think of lot of us can relate to when it comes to interacting with older relatives (especially grandparents) that Tiffany deals with and I think the payoff is brilliant.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
WORDS IN THE HEART CANNOT BE TAKEN.

It's one of those quotes that has stuck with me ever since I first read Feet of Clay like 9 years ago.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
L space has annotations for stuff that has real world parallels and they don't have any notes for unggue so I'd assume it's a totally made up word.

http://wiki.lspace.org/wiki/Unggue

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 2, 2012

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I'm clearing out some stuff I don't have room for and since the local libraries won't take donations, anyone want any hard cover versions of the following:

Wee Free Men
A Hat Full of Sky
Wintersmith
Going Postal
Making Money
Monstrous Regiment
Unseen Academicals
Thud
Night Watch
The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents

All I'd ask for in return is shipping costs and give them a good home.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Oh duh should have said where I am, I'm in the US. New York specifically and yeah, I don't know why they don't take donations either, it was surprising.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
All still available, email address is nicholasile02(at)gmail.com, hit me up.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Concurred posted:

Feet of Clay is GREAT, too. Heathens.

Heck yes, it's my favorite Watch book. It's probably one of my favorite Discworld books actually. I can't read it without tearing up, it's just really sad and moving in places.

THOU SHALT NOT KILL! CLAY OF MY CLAY. SHAME. SORROW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I like Mort if only for the line "There is no justice, just us". Plus it's a Death book and they're the best ones so there.