Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Phenotype posted:

But no, this was definitely a Discworld script. There are so many cool little things pulled straight from the books -- the traffic cameras that are just imps painting pictures, arresting the head of the Thieves Guild, the Knurd scene, Sybil's wig and dragon flamethrowers -- and the main plot looks like it's going to be an amalgamation of the dragon plot in Guards Guards mixed with Night Watch, which could actually be an interesting twist on Vimes's history and redemption if they did it right.
It's all the more disappointing because I can definitely see the shell of a TV show in there that I've been wanting to watch for decades.

Yeah, I was baffled by the dissonance between bits where they seemingly lovingly preserved very subtle or specific details from the books and elsewhere where they seem to have thrown out everything but the very broadest of strokes and made massive, inexplicable changes to characters, concepts, locales, etc.

The actors seem to be giving it their best, but I think it's just going to be painful to watch because I can't stop myself from trying to fit whatever it is they've made together with what I remember from the books. I expect it might work better for someone who's never read the discworld night watch books?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Publication order, don't listen to anyone else I'm the correct one

I'm in general a big fan of publication order in reading anything... but I really am not a fan of Rincewind and I find the first couple books where it feels more like a proto-discworld that hasn't fully congealed yet are a bit rough... my advice to folks who start with the first book and it doesn't click for them is to pick up something a bit further on give it a try before giving up on discworld entirely.